Mizzou opens at -7

Outside of Georgia, this is one of the stranger years in a while for SEC East teams, lots of anomalous results (losses to Georgia and Alabama, as well as most "vs. SEC West" results excluded):

Florida beat LSU, Vandy, UT, USC, lost to UK and Missouri;

Tennessee beat Auburn and UK, lost to USCe and Florida;

USCe beat Missouri, Vandy, and UT, lost to UK and Florida;

Missouri beat Florida, Vandy, lost to UK and USCe;

UK beat Florida, USCe, Vandy, and Missouri, lost to UT.

Vandy beat Arkansas, lost to UF, USCe, UK, Missouri, almost beat ND.

So, comparing results is even more useless than normal. Lots of close games too, lots of parity.

It's because there are a lot of bad teams in the SEC this year. Alabama and Georgia are on another level from everyone. I actually think the LSU vs Georgia result is one of the biggest upsets of the year at this point. LSU shouldn't have been in that game, let along blown Georgia out.

Scoring on them won't be so hard, we just have to slow down the balanced offense. Maybe Dooley will tinker too much with a well-oiled machine.

I think if UT tightens up the fumbles and plays cocky like they did vs Kentucky they can easily win. They lost to USCjr by 3(like UT) and lost to Kentucky by 1 IN Missouri! This game in Neyland should be evenly matched. They don't have a really good running game like either of those teams they pass... A LOT. The secondary is becoming snipers. Need the D-Line to play big again and rattle Lock.

Actually Mizzou has an awesome running game to go with their passing game. We can't afford too many big mistakes but I think we can hang tough with them and eek out a win.

Can we play well on both sides of the ball 2 weeks in a row? If so, I give us a 60/40 chance against Mizzou. If we play poorly on either side, they'll score way more than we can. I believe we'll play well. GBO!!!
What if they don't play well. I believe Mizz will play bad, they did have a half a couple of weeks ago where they didn't pick up a 1st down in the 2nd half.

I was always under the belief Mizzou would be a tougher game though. They’re way more balanced than UK. They’re throw heavy but they have a good back or 2 as well. It will be another down to the wire game like SC. Hopefully defense plays better than that and the refs don’t screw us.
They don't throw heavy as they have run the ball more than they throw. They are successful throwing because they have a big armed 6'3" senior QB with the skillset to play at the next level.

They are very similar to Vandy in that they are balanced. To say they're good is off base though. They are one of the worst teams in the SEC this year. The problem is TN is in that group as well. It is not a gimmie win for either team. If TN shows up as they did against Auburn, usc, and KY; TN can and should win. If not, it could be a blow-out for Mizzou.
Missouri is 3rd in total offense in the SEC, compared to our 14th/last place ranking. They average about 135 more yards and 10 more points per game.
Our defense allows 24 ppg, Missouri 27.

I’m just telling you that it’s a difficult matchup for us primarily because of their offensive balance. They completely punked us last year, hung 50 points and nearly 700 yards on us. Went for 41 first downs and nearly 750 total yards the year before.

They’re a very physical team that has lined up and had their way with each us of the last 2 years with behind Drew Locke. They’ll be very confident against us and I believe we’re gonna have to play at our very best to win on Saturday. If our defense continues to progress and takes it up even a notch more than against Kentucky, I like our chances to get the game into the 4th quarter and possibly pull it out at home. But if we continue our trend of being wildly inconsistent and we take a step back, we’ll get embarrassed.

Missouri is 3rd in total offense in the SEC, compared to our 14th/last place ranking. They average about 135 more yards and 10 more points per game.

I’m just telling you that it’s a difficult matchup for us primarily because of their offensive balance. They completely punked us last year, hung 50 points and nearly 700 yards on us. Went for 41 first downs and nearly 750 total yards the year before.

They’re a very physical team that has lined up and had their way with each us of the last 2 years with behind Drew Locke. They’ll be very confident against us and I believe we’re gonna have to play at our very best to win on Saturday. If our defense continues to progress and takes it up even a notch more than against Kentucky, I like our chances to get the game into the 4th quarter and possibly pull it out at home. But if we continue our trend of being wildly inconsistent and we take a step back, we’ll get embarrassed.
I don't disagree with it being a tough game. Any win for the most part will be a tough game for this year's Vols. I only point out that Mizzou and Vandy are similar in that both are balanced teams. In my opinion, Vandy's defense is better than Mizzou's. Neither Mizzou or Vandy are good teams this year. Unfortunately, TN is not either. TN has showed good progress over the last few games. If the trend continues, TN can and should beat both Mizzou and Vandy. It doesn't mean it will happen.

I’m pretty much with you on this one KB. I felt pretty strong about us beating KY because I had faith in Pruitt scheming to stop the one dimensional offense with our decent personnel on defense. MO, while seemingly not as good on offense as last year, is an entirely different animal. I don’t think they are quite good enough to embarrass us outside of a Florida-like performance from us but this is a more difficult matchup than KY for us even though KY is the better team overall. We are right on schedule with what I predicted for record before the season and I had the MO game pegged as a loss so I guess I’ll stick with it. I thought they would be a little better though. I do believe we beat Vandy to get to 6-6 and we certainly can win this week. Hopefully I’ll get to go to the game and root on our Vols.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
At home, if we play like we did against KY. We should be favored by 2 at least.

Lock, Bentley, and Shurmur have handed it to the Vols for the last few years. We can't turn the ball over or kill ourself on drives with false starts from #51. We also need Bryce back imo to win this one.

Glad to see Flowers is back.

Can't play them like we did SC. Scrap that defensive gameplan. Didn't understand that plan.

At the root of it all today, it's Dooley vs. Pruitt. I like Pruitt in that matchup!

I wish it was that easy. The problem is when he's off of it he's suicidal. The problem with all of them is the drugs fixes the highs and lows but makes them numb to life. They think they dont need it any longer and go off the drug then the depression kicks in and he goes suicidal. I'd love to say "its all in his head" and tried that approach for many years but its just not true. If you dont have a bipolar child, consider yourself lucky.

I feel for you, I had a brother that was bipolar and it is exactly how you describe it.😔

Reactions: GreveHaller

VN Store

Back