Milton & the last play

Wasn't really the fact that he was scared to get hit.

All he had to do was stand there and lob it up to an orange jersey that was in the endzone. He wouldn't have been hit doing that.

He's an idiot. JG level stupid.

Houndog saw his shadow. 6 more years of bad football.

No good QB will come here. Especially after losing last night on the big stage and throwing trash into the field.

Our Coach has done a fantastic job for the most part but he isn't God. He can't make miracles happen.

We are now banged up and just defeated. The next 3 games will be guaranteed losses. Player morale will be bad and the locker room could get out of hand. We still should make a bowl appearance but is everyone happy with that outcome? It's just one extra meaningless game we get to play. We need to be playing for championships. But alas it's hard to win when the whole world is against you. Especially the refs.

Hope recruiting doesn't fall to an all time low after last night. We could really use some fresh meat and depth. Especially at the QB position.

Give it a rest. Shove them negative waves baby.

AF12FCCD-0B71-4D6E-8E4F-87E180E8AED9.gif

Reactions: Rando
Bama, Kentucky and Georgia gonna eat Milton for supper if Hooker is out -- Ol coach QB whisperer better wise up and play Bailey, if Hooker cant go

At some point, fans are going to have to face the reality that HB is the guy who can't beat out Milton. You really want to replace a bad quarterback with a guy who can't beat out a bad quarterback?

They've got to be scouring the transfer portal to bring in at least two guys for next year. Guys who can play immediately, and give Hooker some legitimate backup.

He's not close to a good QB. He either didn't understand this situation or clock when he went in or he just went lulu on us. His last play was the worst play, worse than JG's Bama goal line turnover, in my opinion in UT history. He needed to give his team a chance on that last play and he had to put the ball in the end zone by a pass. That was their last chance. Instead he tucks it, and runs it after his protection broke down, but he came clear long enough to put the ball in the end zone. Running it out of bouds took the chance away from his fellow players in the field. WORST OFFENSIVE PLAY IN UT HISTORY IMO.
Idk about worst, definitely the worst in a big time situation. Mind boggling that we can have someone worse at decision making than JG out there.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
This loss wasn't on Milton. It wasn't on the refs. It was a team effort. It began first of all with the injury to Evans. Continued with the turn over on the punt by OM. Then Mays got hurt. The defense never adjusted to the running QB. Coral beat us with his legs. How does Milton earn the loss with 3 seconds on the clock?

Reactions: Rando
Should’ve thrown it in the end zone. Really no other play for him to make.
Exactly. Don’t care if it gets intercepted. It’s the ONLY play in that situation. That appears to be Milton’s issue. Million dollar body and a 10 cent brain. No situational awareness.

Reactions: Tnslim1
tHe touchdown imo, the refs didn't blow the play dead and Matt may have stopped but since the play wasn't blown dead it was a forced fumble recovered for a TD. Oh well we gotta some how get more players back for next week at bama now
He faked a hand off, dropped back, pulling the ball close and tight, turning to the side, looking at the TN sideline. He was giving it a minute to open the field for a run. The same thing he did all night long. That time it didn't work out for him. That was a touchdown IMO.

I think most high school QB's understand the ball has to be put in the air and end zone. Ole Miss even called a timeout prior to the last play. I would hope Coach told him to put the ball in air and he just froze up. Tennessee definitely is on trouble if Milton is QB here on.

One of the knocks on Milton is that he is scared to get hit. I wasn't sold on that, but that last play changed my mind.

He ran out of bounds with no time left. It wasn't close. I still can't believe I saw him just give up like that. Whoever has the ball last HAS to leave it all on the field trying to get to that end zone.

I'm just stunned he did that. What are your thoughts? Not as big a deal as I'm feeling now?

I don't feel confident in him going forward.

Unfortunately, I just think it was just a lack of situational awareness and coming in under those conditions. He pulled a Chris Webber so to speak.

I thought he gave us a chance with those lasors he threw right before that. Tillman almost reeled in a touchdown pass. Milton needed another 19 seconds.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
You guys making this about lack of toughness are completely missing the point. It is about situational awareness, something that is a necessity to play QB (or any position, really) at this level, and Milton is utterly clueless to a degree that as a coach I would never let him see the field again until (unless) it was fixed. I just don't think that can be taught if the player has that little grasp of a situation as Milton displayed last night.

The only things he could not do were take a sack, throw it anywhere but the end zone, or try to run for it with the field that compressed. I have to believe he was told that, but regardless it is incredible how a guy who has played at that level could be so completely unaware in that situation.

I won't argue that once the idiotic decision was made to run for it that going out of bounds made an awful play look that much worse, but damn, just throw it somewhere ... anywhere ... and give a receiver a chance to make a play. He should never see the field again.

Reactions: Volle and Remy
What was more bizarre, the Touchdown that was called back or the last play?

They are equally bizarre to me in different ways. The call was a game changer, and totally inexcusable, but the last play showed a player that has no business playing at this level if he is that unaware of what is going on in the game. Even with the call, if Hooker doesn't get hurt the Vols still win.

One of the knocks on Milton is that he is scared to get hit. I wasn't sold on that, but that last play changed my mind.

He ran out of bounds with no time left. It wasn't close. I still can't believe I saw him just give up like that. Whoever has the ball last HAS to leave it all on the field trying to get to that end zone.

I'm just stunned he did that. What are your thoughts? Not as big a deal as I'm feeling now?

He absolutely should have at least tried to look like he was trying to score. By running out of bounds and giving up the game, he showed everyone that he is soft. Bad image on a night of bad images.

He absolutely should have at least tried to look like he was trying to score. By running out of bounds and giving up the game, he showed everyone that he is soft. Bad image on a night of bad images.

I don't disagree that he should never have run out of bounds, but I'm way more concerned with his complete lack of game awareness as the guy who might be our QB1 moving forward than I am about whether people believe he is soft. A 'bad image' is one thing, but being clueless about what is going on the game is a much bigger deal.

I don't disagree that he should never have run out of bounds, but I'm way more concerned with his complete lack of game awareness as the guy who might be our QB1 moving forward than I am about whether people believe he is soft. A 'bad image' is one thing, but being clueless about what is going on the game is a much bigger deal.
I cannot disagree at all.

Reactions: sami

Milton is pathetic in almost every category that defines a great QB. I have ZERO enthusiasm with him behind center and won’t bother wasting my time watching my Vols suffer from his ineptitude. From his arm to the rocks between his ears, he’s horrible.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
It seems that Heupel has so much invested in Milton from getting him to come here that he is in some way 'obligated' to him, but that obligation should be null and void after that play. I love what Heupel has done here in restoring pride and enthusiasm to the program, but sending Milton out there next week after what we've seen from him earlier in the season on top of last night would be more than disappointing. Give Bailey a shot at the job - if he fails, then at least we know he isn't a guy who can run this system, but he should get the opportunity.

What is the rule had he completed a touchdown pass after going beyond the line of scrimmage? Obviously the touchdown doesn’t count, but would there be another (untimed) play after the refs step off a penalty?
Nope. Would have been end of game (game not continued with offensive penalty)

If the first play was caught in the end zone Milton is a hero

Instead it wasn’t and he runs as clock expires which zero i mean ZERO chance of even scoring that way when he took off. A jump ball would have made more sense if no one was open at least give yourself a chance. Bonehead play
Yep. He made a perfect throw on that play. Kid has to get more than 2 inches off the ground and catch that ball.

Reactions: Volbrando

VN Store

Back