Milton Starter Limit Deep Passes

I somewhat agree. But, Hendon Hooker will get crushed when we enter SEC play unfortunately. There is a reason he's not playing at VaTech anymore.
There’s a reason Milton was replaced by a freshman at Michigan in his 3rd year in college and still looks like he doesn’t know how to play the position in his 4th year.

There hasnt been a qb at UT with less ability to complete a deep pass than Milton. Ever.

7-12 for 50 yards might not look terrible but
9-12 for 120 yards and 2 TD’s is 1000% better and more of what his stats should of looked like.

Stats can be deceiving.
Heard many times, JG had good stats, but thing is accomplished nothing. Couldn’t pick up 1st downs, couldn’t score yet had good stats

Statistically, Hooker outperformed Milton. Look at the two different games. Against Bowling Green State, a much worse defense than Pitt, Milton was 11/23 with 139 yards and 1 TD. With a defense as bad as BGSU, Milton should have had a field day. Against Pitt, Hooker was 15/21 for 188 yards and 2 TD. Hooker also had a higher yards per completion at 9.0. Milton was only 6 yards per completion against BGSU and 4.2 yards per completion (7/12, 50 yds) against Pitt.

It is clear to me that Hooker should be it going forward. This is further proving why Milton was benched at Michigan. He simply isn't capable of being coached up to prevent these issues. He showed no improvement from week one to week two.

I think he showed improvement getting some air under his ball unfortunately even with that air he wasn't able to dial back the extra distance....craziest thing I've seen

7-12 for 50 yards might not look terrible but
9-12 for 120 yards and 2 TD’s is 1000% better and more of what his stats should of looked like.

Stats can be deceiving.
Heard many times, JG had good stats, but thing is accomplished nothing. Couldn’t pick up 1st downs, couldn’t score yet had good stats

Stats have context just like most everything else. How many posts did we see touting JG's YPA and 'passing efficiency' throughout seasons where we could barely score points?

It's why Milton's play vs Bowling Green raised red flags for some of us. The stats weren't "terrible" per se, but considering the opponent, Milton's time in college programs, and who our HC is, it was not a very good stat line given what occurred on the field.

Milton is not good with the short to mid range pass either, so I don't know if this theory will be beneficial. Tillman was only 10 yards or so beyond the line of scrimmage and Milton threw it 25 yards downfield. The only throw Milton is good at is the quick out to the sideline, only because he throws at such velocity that it gets their quickly and receivers can use their body to trap the ball because they are usually stationary and facing him. In fact, the only passes the WR's can handle are when they are turned and facing him and they can use their bodies to stop the ball. He throws everything else too hard or too far. Crossing routes are dropped, fades are overthrown, bombs are overthrown. The only bomb that was close to being completed was thrown nearly 65 yards with incredible velocity, it was like an ICBM - who can catch a bomb coming in from that distance at 100 mph? Hyatt nearly killed himself trying.

The deep backs are a feature of the offense and are used to continually stretch the field. It’s what helps opens the run game and keeps the defense honest. Not having a deep passing attack is exactly what we had last year and we all know how that played out.

I agree. And I don't know where that leaves us. Milton over throws everything beyond 15 yards. And Hooker isn't any better. Inaccurate over 15yards, probably throwing under more than over. Hooker does seem a bit more mobile, but it makes us very one dimensional on offense.

I will get roasted, go ahead. I'm just as aggravated as the next person for the missed wide open touchdown misses.

Miltons stats before injury were actual pretty good, minus the wild overthrows that were extremely critically costly.....

He was 7/12 for 50 yards and rushed for 54 yards. Milton was the games leading rusher (even after being out early with injury) and he being the leading rusher is inexcusable for the rest of the offense.

If he can settle down and the coaches can gameplan around limiting the deep throws until timing gets better with he and receivers, I think he can be highly effective and good. The rest of his throws were accurate and some were surprisingly very good.

Had he not been injured and played the rest of the game, who knows, he may have connected on a couple that may have resulted in scores. But, moving forward the strategy may need to be to work the ball down the field in smaller chucks and be more patient for the deep shot.

The lack of running game and the defense is more to blame for Saturday's loss than the missed throws, although scoring more early would have changed the flow of the game.
Why not just take the pass away all together when Milton is in the game, he certainly does not have the ability to hit a receiver on the move, and is lucky to complete one when they are standing waiting on the ball. He couldn't play at Michigan and he certainly is not a SEC Quarterback

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I will get roasted, go ahead. I'm just as aggravated as the next person for the missed wide open touchdown misses.

Miltons stats before injury were actual pretty good, minus the wild overthrows that were extremely critically costly.....

He was 7/12 for 50 yards and rushed for 54 yards. Milton was the games leading rusher (even after being out early with injury) and he being the leading rusher is inexcusable for the rest of the offense.

If he can settle down and the coaches can gameplan around limiting the deep throws until timing gets better with he and receivers, I think he can be highly effective and good. The rest of his throws were accurate and some were surprisingly very good.

Had he not been injured and played the rest of the game, who knows, he may have connected on a couple that may have resulted in scores. But, moving forward the strategy may need to be to work the ball down the field in smaller chucks and be more patient for the deep shot.

The lack of running game and the defense is more to blame for Saturday's loss than the missed throws, although scoring more early would have changed the flow of the game.
According to ESPN, Milton’s 2021 QBR is 48.2. That is 70th in FBS.

I think I said this a couple of years ago here. Sadly, it’s still the situation: Knoxville is a drinking town with a QB problem.

Seriously, I expect a legit QB audition against TTU. Not limiting vertical shots like OP suggested, nor the Ride or Die with Milton approach, even if he is healthy.

This offense is dependent on stretching the field. This gets numbers out of the box, which opens up running lanes. Heupel wants to run the ball but you have to be able to hit the deep ball. Hooker did much better executing this offense than Milton. If i am an opposing coach and i see Milton at QB, i am running single man coverage on the perimeter all day because every deep ball will be overthrown.
And I'm putting 7-8 tight in the box too. WHen Pitt did it, we had problems. I totally agree with your opinion on this.

Yes he can run. (under certain conditions) BUT in my option he will never be able to throw a deep pass very well. Has no touch, everything is a bullet, no arch on pass nothing, just a long throw, not a pass. On everything else it's a bullet or nothing. (once in a while it's different when he must throw over a defender) To much to overcome for him to be the man right now. Maybe later, but we have not got the time for later. We need to produce now and I hope he is not the best choice for right now.

Running any offense without any threat to throw deep is tough. The safety just comes down in the box, takes the running game and short passes away.

Heupel needs to find a qb of these three who can best run HIS offense. IF he can't then he needs to recruit one. Ok, he made a choice every coach Ive ever seen would make; he gave the first chance to the most physically talented guy. That guy cant play so he's gotta move to the next choice.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Milton's upside is through the roof. I can understand why CJH will be patient with him. If he can learn to take a little off his throws there is no limit to what this team could do. But that patience can't last forever. Next week doesn't matter, but after that, there better be some improvement, otherwise the experiment is over.

If he can't hit lay ups to his wide open WRs then his upside is meaningless. Our wide outs were absolutely torching Pitt's DBs in the first quarter and begging for catchable passes. UT missed an opportunity to put that game out of reach early because Milton was so inaccurate.

Dumbest post ever, good grief if we have no threat of a vertical passing game what do you think would happen in our SEC games? How about putting in a quarterback that can throw accurately. We gave him a great chance, time to shake it up. I hope our days of coddling QB's are over. Playing like that gets you benched at most places especially in the SEC. Not saying he never gets another chance but not at the expense of losing. GBO!!!!

Reactions: LexVol71

VN Store

Back