Milton and Bailey

Remember Heupel wanted Milton. He inherited Bailey. Big difference. Regardless of who the starter is, I just hope they breathe some life into this offense.
Heupel wanted Milton because he knew the kid/scouted the kid with him being local. Heupel would've gladly taken Bailey at UCF and set records. Huepel QBs at UCF are more Ian Book than Josh Dobbs.

Reactions: norrislakevol
And a strong arm doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t hit an open receiver. JG had plenty of arm strength. It was on full display every time he overthrew a receiver, which was often. I don’t care if the next guy can throw it out of the stadium. I only care if it’s being caught by our receivers and not the opposing defense.
You're offering a straw man argument. I have never proposed it was a choice between arm strength and accuracy. I've repeatedly said that Milton and Maurer had the arm strength advantage but had to become more consistent to win the job.

The point you seem to be trying to make just isn't valid. The value and importance of arm strength isn't lessened by your "either/or" argument.

It wasn’t up for grabs in Spring. All the QBs were given their introduction to the offense. Milton didn’t participate…much less “win” the job, either.
did you forget to Blue Font here? Starting positions are ALWAYS up for grabs. No one could separate themselves in the spring.

did you forget to Blue Font here? Starting positions are ALWAYS up for grabs. No one could separate themselves in the spring.
There was not going to be a STARTER declared in SPRING. That’s what Fall camp is for. Hoard your blue ink.

Reactions: LittleVol
I would bet Cade Mayes has a stronger arm, but I doubt Mayes is a.better QB.
Yeah. That's an intelligent apples to apples comparison.

FWIW, when it comes to throwing a football... I would take that bet... and your house.

Yeah. That's an intelligent apples to apples comparison.

FWIW, when it comes to throwing a football... I would take that bet... and your house.
Small world you live in, very small. I'm sure Mayes can throw a.football, heck I can, not very far but I can throw one. Do I get your house?

Small world you live in, very small. I'm sure Mayes can throw a.football, heck I can, not very far but I can throw one. Do I get your house?
You're making yourself look really stupid.... you do understand what is meant by "arm strength" as it relates to football and specifically QB's, right?

Don't worry, I know lots of things, like how you think so highly of yourself and your condescending attitude toward those who don't recognize your genuis.

I think he makes up for part of that with mobility. Mobility that Bailey doesn't have. As I've said repeatedly now, all of them have weaknesses that they have to overcome.
I agree, I think Bailey has the least upside. I think either Milton or Maurer will win the job, because they are both mobile, and both have better arm strength than Hooker. Bailey reminds me a lot of Justin Worley, I just don’t see him winning the job.

Reactions: aRmo
I agree, I think Bailey has the least upside. I think either Milton or Maurer will win the job, because they are both mobile, and both have better arm strength than Hooker. Bailey reminds me a lot of Justin Worley, I just don’t see him winning the job.
be careful on who you tell this too. The bailey worshipers will crucify you.

I think we are going to surprise some people this year. We are now in a system that allows us to play and the talent is there. I go back to the 2016 team that did not have the star power this team did but they were in a system that allowed them to play and be creative and it showed. JMO but I think this team is going to be energized and ready to play and if Heupel cont. what he has done over the years with QB we could have a good year.
Hope you're right. This team is probably the least known commodity since I became a fan in 1965. NCAA prison hanging over, revolving transfer door portal, new QBs, new and entirely different offense, depleted talent level especially on....well almost everywhere. But still count me in.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Did he want Bailey when he was at Mizzou and he was his primary recruiter?
He DID recruit Bailey at Mizzou then recruited Milton AFTER he started coaching Bailey at UT. I think they have similar eligibility remaining.

Basically, he recruited Milton on top of Bailey which is why I look for Milton to start.

I see those similarities but Bailey has more physical ability than Worley had. Oddly both benefited from a dominant WR in HS that probably boosted their recruiting evals.

Hope you're right. This team is probably the least known commodity since I became a fan in 1965. NCAA prison hanging over, revolving transfer door portal, new QBs, new and entirely different offense, depleted talent level especially on....well almost everywhere. But still count me in.
I think our talent level ok especially on offense I just don't think it has been utilized the right way. Our offense under Pruitt/Cheney was a old school type of offense and unfortunately for us it didn't work most of the time. I know a lot of people got really upset with JG and rightfully so at times but to his defense he was doing what that offense allowed him to do which was be a game manger even tho he had a hard time making simply throws. I think with this offense it's more like Butch Jones but the difference the QB is expected to be more of a passer than a runner. The reason for my optimism is that I think Pruitt recruited guys on offense that fits Heupel system better than they did his. Now defense someone else is going to have to explain that because I know there is some talent there but it's young and unknown.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Lots of people are reading too much into Heupel "bringing Milton in" IMO.

I think CJH knows that his best chance of early success and momentum lies with scoring lots of points and that all hinges on the QB position. I don't think he brought Milton in "to start" but rather to increase the competition in the hopes it produces a really good starter. I also think he knew Salter was unlikely to be on the roster.

I would love to see Milton get consistent and become the starter. His arm is amazing and D's could never sleep on the QB run. But IMO, Hooker currently has the best combination of risk, running ability, and passing ability. Unless Maurer or Milton overcome their inconsistency, Hooker will start unless he stumbles in August in which case it will be Bailey.
Agree with most of what you say (especially the rationale for getting Milton) but I think that Bailey’s ability to read the defense and find opportunities to consistently move the ball will make him the starter.

VN Store

Back