Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek

The longer time goes on I think that Gen X is the best generation.

They seem to be the most objective - they see the other generations for what they are and critique both, and don't have any of the unsavory stereotypical traits associated with Boomers, Millennials, or Gen Z. Healthy dose of cynicism, but not too much.

Every generation has their good and bad. Gen X is cool, i agree, but they're the helicopter parents, right? Teen violence and pregnancy was pretty high for gen x too. Yeah, a few dumbass kids today eat tide pods but that's gotta be better than high pregnancy rates across the generation.

Gen X was raised by boomers and they raised millennials so they are stuck in the middle of this ugly feud.

Last edited:
yep 2. And 1 granddaughter

I think smart people use them, shouldn’t be mandated by the .gov.

OTOH, if there is any group of people we need to protect it is children. As you say smart people use them. There are a lot of people who are considered smart, but have no knowledge of safety.
I had a real estate development company, and I could write a book about all the adult people who did stupid things that caused accidents. Some lost limbs, and one guy lost his life. Workmans Comp insurance companies try to make things better with marginal success.

Reactions: VolNExile
Every generation has their good and bad. Gen X is cool, i agree, but they're the helicopter parents, right? Teen violence and pregnancy was pretty high for gen x too. Yeah, a few dumbass kids today eat tide pods but that's gotta be better than high pregnancy rates across the generation.

Gen X was raised by boomers and they raised millennials so they are stuck in the middle of this ugly feud.
I thought it was more Boomers than Gen X that raised Millennials, but I guess it depends on where you want to start the dates. Gen X mostly is raising/has raised Gen Z. As far as higher teen pregnancy with Gen X, every generation has their excuses too...Millennials are the way they are because of how Boomers raised them, and Gen X can say they had higher teen pregnancy because they were latchkey kids (i.e., a lot of Gen X kids' parents got divorced).

Every generation does have their good and bad, and there are certainly people in every generation who don't fit the stereotypes. I sure am glad my parents don't fit the Boomer stereotype. But IMO Gen X just seems to be the generation with the least annoying stereotypes.

I thought it was more Boomers than Gen X that raised Millennials, but I guess it depends on where you want to start the dates. Gen X mostly is raising/has raised Gen Z. As far as higher teen pregnancy with Gen X, every generation has their excuses too...Millennials are the way they are because of how Boomers raised them, and Gen X can say they had higher teen pregnancy because they were latchkey kids (i.e., a lot of Gen X kids' parents got divorced).

Every generation does have their good and bad, and there are certainly people in every generation who don't fit the stereotypes. I sure am glad my parents don't fit the Boomer stereotype. But IMO Gen X just seems to be the generation with the least annoying stereotypes.

All I know is I'm 38 with siblings 10 years older and my parents were boomers but i'm among the oldest millennials, if i'm even that. Helicopter parents were a thing well after my childhood. It seems mathematically that boomers have almost no connection to helicopter parenting phenomenon we saw arise 12-15 years ago. The youngest boomers were in their late 40's

Last edited:
All I know is I'm 38 with siblings 10 years older and my parents were boomers but i'm among the oldest millennials, if i'm even that. Helicopter parents were a thing well after my childhood. It seems mathematically that boomers have almost no connection to helicopter parenting phenomenon we saw arise 12-15 years ago. The youngest boomers were in their late 40's
Boomers, especially younger boomers, are connected to the helicopter parenting phenomenon. It does bleed into Gen X because as you said, it hasn't stopped with Millennials. I think I first heard the phrase "helicopter parent" when I was in high school...early 2000s. And it was being discussed as something that had happened and was continuing to happen, not like some trend that had just started.

Also, in my experience, these generations are not monoliths. Older Millennials, for example, are quite a bit different from younger ones. They are frequently lumped together, but I don't think people born in 1982 have all that much in common with someone born in 1994, but they're both considered Millennials. IMO, younger Millennials and Gen Z are pretty much indistinguishable. Older Millennials seem more similar to Gen X. The cutoff between Gen X and Millennials/Gen Z should be which ones are digital natives and which ones aren't, IMO. If you know what it was like to live without a smartphone, even if you were young (like I was), you're more like Gen X than Millennial/Gen Z.

Why all the division? We're all the same as one another because each one of us is completely unique, just like everybody else.

Absolutely, keeps the stupid gene from spreading.
That’s pretty disgusting. There are a lot of people, including here on VN, who came from completely goofball families, who figured things out and are living productive and positive lives.

Seriously, there is no humor in your reply. smh

Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek - YouTube

Interesting video with some valid points.
I do know Millennials who are hard working, motivated, engaging, and focused. Are they the exceptions?

Will Skilled Hands-On Labor Finally Become More Valuable?

On a recent visit to the welding shop where my niece's husband works, I asked him if they had enough welders for their workload. His answer surprised me: "If you asked every welding shop in the country if they have enough welders, the answer would be no."

The reasons for this disparity between the economic need and the workforce's skills aren't that complicated. Many of the skilled welders are Baby Boomers who are retiring or nearing retirement, and there aren't enough younger trained welders to meet the need.

Could all these trends reverse? All trends eventually reverse (the way of the Tao is reversal), and so the question can be phrased: are we reaching the tipping point?

I have argued that we've reached Peak Financialization and Globalization, and these trends are now reversing.

Reactions: tbh
Baby boomers were lazy self absorbed hippies and pot heads preaching free love as kids.

Then hit their 30s in the 80s and became self absorbed money whores who sold their kids out for bigger houses and more things. Mommy got a job and the latch key society of children was born.

Baby boomer generation sucked ass.

This new generation is what happens when parents are self absorbed *******s.
but we got to see all the good bands

I heard some rumors that we have stuff at Eastman that is entirely unstaffable. I believe it, but I have no firsthand knowledge.

I've been telling people for some weeks it'll be interesting to see if politicians or some influence of some sort starts talking about work. If nobody works, we'll all starve. This seems to be a huge philosophical blank spot in people's minds.

City life requires many many people to work or you'll starve. It was that way in 4000 BC and it's that way now.

I’ve changed my business model over it.
I kept only the best and do one job at a time. I have signed contract for 1-3 week jobs through August with people wanting to wait in line who call every day.
That story he told in the video of seeing some old guy on his hands and knees reminded me of something I actually saw about 10-12 years ago on one of my construction jobs. I saw these two guys in their early 70's on their hands and knees finishing some concrete foundations. I ended up talking to them for a while and found out they were from Middle Tennessee and were doing work 3 hours away from home... they were called in specifically to work on that project now that I think back on it. I ended up seeing one of the guys later on on another project about a year later, but from what I heard, they stayed on the road constantly. Also remember working with a another guy who has to be late 70's by now, if not 80 that I had met around that same time period that ended up retiring and then coming back to work about 6 months later. His phone never stopped ringing and I know that had to be about 10-12 years ago when he first retired.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
That story he told in the video of seeing some old guy on his hands and knees reminded me of something I actually saw about 10-12 years ago on one of my construction jobs. I saw these two guys in their early 70's on their hands and knees finishing some concrete foundations. I ended up talking to them for a while and found out they were from Middle Tennessee and were doing work 3 hours away from home... they were called in specifically to work on that project now that I think back on it. I ended up seeing one of the guys later on on another project about a year later, but from what I heard, they stayed on the road constantly. Also remember working with a another guy who has to be late 70's by now, if not 80 that I had met around that same time period that ended up retiring and then coming back to work about 6 months later. His phone never stopped ringing and I know that had to be about 10-12 years ago when he first retired.
Well, that post started out promising. Ended up being something about work ethic though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you have children?

How do you feel about car seats for children?
Do you have children?

How do you feel about car seats for children?

Read the book "Freakonomics." The car seat industry hired some very, very effective lobbyists and marketing folks. It seems the single biggest determining factor in kids surviving a car accident has little to do with the Mega Car Seat every terrified soccer mom wants their child in, but more of where are they: in the front or the back seat.

VN Store

Back