Military History

Watched "Maggie's War" on prime, very good use of an hour. A few guys from the 504 PIR go back to Holland and go over their battles at Wahl Crossing, Nijmegen, and beyond.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Watched "Maggie's War" on prime, very good use of an hour. A few guys from the 504 PIR go back to Holland and go over their battles at Wahl Crossing, Nijmegen, and beyond.
Will have to definitely watch that, will be like going back 25 years when studying regimental history for promotion board.

Will have to definitely watch that, will be like going back 25 years when studying regimental history for promotion board.
Met an old guy maybe 6 years ago with an 82nd hat, asked what regiment he was with as grandpa jumped Normandy with 508.

He was a pathfinder with 504, the pathfinders were pulled from the regiment in Italy to jump Normandy. He had 4 arrowhead pins on his wallet, doubt there's anyone with more. Assume he's passed now but that was a great 15 minute talk.

Met an old guy maybe 6 years ago with an 82nd hat, asked what regiment he was with as grandpa jumped Normandy with 508.

He was a pathfinder with 504, the pathfinders were pulled from the regiment in Italy to jump Normandy. He had 4 arrowhead pins on his wallet, doubt there's anyone with more. Assume he's passed now but that was a great 15 minute talk.

The first day I got to Bragg, called my grandfather from a payphone in front JFK Special Warfare Museum. I was describing smoke bomb hill to him, he walked the same streets some 40+ years prior. Must have spent $20 on my calling card with him that day (a lot of money for an E-1 back then). Then went to general Jackson's and got him a pair of Silver Wings to replace one's stolen while he was in Korea. Some of the best times I had at Bragg were during All-American week. The old-timers would come in and to get and talk with them was priceless.

Need to recommend the "Addressing Gettysburg" podcast, had I the degrees or the expendable capital I'd pursue being a licensed battlefield guide.

Having found that the "missing link" in our family tree fought at the Peach Orchard was pretty awesome, as over my 70 or so trips I've always had a weird vibe there.

I feel I understand Longstreet as a man, having been super depressed for going on 5 years, but history cuts him a lot of slack here. Had they moved to the right they'd have still have had a 100% intact VI corps to deal with, which other than the (at this point non existent) I Corps the best in the Federal Army.

Lee's only hope to win the campaign was to swing his whole army south and east, and hope for his Austerlitz. But without a good Cavalry screen it wasn't going to happen.

For all the what ifs and he shouldas, it was lost on 7/1 with Ewell. Even if the Virginia/Tennessee/NC charge had pierced the center on 7/3 Meade still had his best Corps in reserve and mostly unbloodied.

Felt like pontificating

A company from my home county (Brooks, Ga) fought in the peach orchard as part of the 50th GA.

A cousin of mine led the patrol that hunted down and shot Goldman Bryson after he burned down the Murphy, NC courthouse during the not-so-recent Unpleasantness.

My great-great uncle from Monroe County (TN) on my father's side fought in the Confederate army until captured at Champions Hill in the Vicksburg campaign. Switched sides and joined the Union Army in Cleveland (TN).

Best of all, have a picture of great-great-great granddaddy Johnston in his Confederate uniform. Co E, 1st KY Regt of Cavalry.

Last edited:
House I own in Tellico Plains was built by an uncle who was a veteran of the 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry, CSA. He was married to my great-great Granddaddy's sister. Said Granddaddy went west before the War and fought as a Confederate irregular in Missouri.

I’ve walked Gettysburg. Plan for an entire day (or weekend).
I generally gamble on the weather and go in early March, hotel rooms are cheap and it's generally mild. Summer is nice to see things as they were at the time of the battle but they cost and traffic make it a headache.

What Did the Rebel Yell Sound Like?

In this exclusive clip from the 1930s, Confederate veterans step up to the mic and let out their version of the fearsome rallying cry (4:22)

What Did the Rebel Yell Sound Like?

I've never seen this clip before. Just the one from one of the last reunions at Gettysburg. Where the old reb whoops a couple of times laughing saying that's the rebel yell.

Just think that's the version and sound from men in their late 80's or 90's. Just think of what it would have sounded like from 15 & 16 year old teenagers to men in there 30's times a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand.

It would have probably made the hair stand up on the back of your neck if you was a damn yankee!

From everything I've read most people who have studied it has said it was likely different with most individuals as well as units from different regions. It's been a couple of years but I saw a video online where they tried replicating it via audio editing software. Going from an individual to a couple of thousand men.

I didn't know we had a History forum on here. Glad I found this one. I picked this stuff up yesterday to go with my others.

View attachment 367160
Nice pickups! Where did you get these?

McKays is my go to for history books, as they often go cheap. You wouldn’t believe the books I’ve picked up for 1 or two bucks.

Going to High School on the Battle oi Franklin site, and living there now, it's amazing to walk around at dusk and think about what went on in such a small area.
Actually found a cannon ball at BGA, back in 1988, right behind the fence at our baseball field.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Here’s the latest video from a YouTube channel I love. Highly recommend giving them a look. I binged all forty or so interviews in a weekend.

VN Store

Back