Military History

Not military related, but crossed IDL twice in 80's to spend summer with parents when dad worked in Manila for two years for UGA/USAID. Very weird. Repeated same day twice one direction. Skipped a day other direction.

Always made me wonder how messed up life would be if there was a place to live exactly on the IDL. Would life stand still and you aged without a day passing? If a day does not actually exist, did you skip work?
I recall reading a story some years ago about a sailor who kept getting into trouble, but made the claim "at least the Navy can't take my birthday away."

Until they crossed the International Date line and skipped over his birthday. The Navy for real took his birthday away.

A friend of mine brought a book of the 20th Armored Division in WWII into my shop and asked if I could scan it in for him and maybe restore some of the pictures. I can post them if anyone is interested.
ARMY TRUCK BW.jpg

Never new the story behind the Rakkasan Coat of Arms pretty cool.

187th coat of arms.jpg

Motto
NE DESIT VIRTUS (Let Valor Not Fail).

Symbolism
Shield
Blue is for the Infantry. The partition line of the pale heraldically representing clouds and the doubled-handed sword, an ancient infantry weapon, symbolizes the character of the organization as an Airborne Infantry unit.

Crest
The golden seal lion, adapted from the seal of the President of the Philippines, represents the award of the Philippine Presidential Unit Streamer for the campaign on Manarawat, scene of the first combat jump of the 187th. The heart on the lion's shoulder points out the action on Purple Heart Hill. The winged sword with three notches in the blade signifies the unit's score of three combat jumps, one in the Philippines and two in Korea. The red diamond shape is the insignia of the city of Yokohama, Japan, where the 187th landed as the first American combat troops and began four years of occupation duty. The seven-pointed star, divided in the manner of the Korean Taeguk stands for the unit's seven campaigns in that country.

Background
The coat of arms was originally approve on 15 Dec 1952 for the 187th Airborne Infantry Regiment. It was re-designated for the 187th Infantry on 7 Feb 1958. On 15 Apr 1965 the coat of arms was amended to add a crest. 19 Dec 1984 the symbolism was amended to more accurately reflect the three notches in the blade of the sword.

This just popped up on my YT feed. Seems that in 2009, a group called the Horseman Flight Team took three F8F Bearcat fighters up and flew with the Blue Angles. The F8F was the mount for the Navy Flight Demonstration Team from 1946-49.

At the event was 90 year-old Al Taddeo who was the last survivor of the original team.

Al Taddeo took off on his last mission on 17 August 2013.

Apparently somebody in my house was chopping onions during that last bit when Al was sitting at the controls of one of the 'Cats.

The original Blue Angels. The detail is fuzzy but I think that Al Taddeo is on the far left.

Attachments

• F8F-Hellcat-Blue-Angels.jpg
    F8F-Hellcat-Blue-Angels.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 6
I even tried my hand at coloring the thing. I probably need to find a picture with the real Army green in it to match the truck.View attachment 255791

It's more of that fungal green the Russians painted their tanks and trucks in WWII. But good effort, lighten it up a bit and you'll be close.

Also, the plane in the upper left is a -262.

Trivia: Charles Schulz of Peanuts fame was an infantryman in the 20th Armored Division,

Reactions: MWR
@OneManGang, have you read The Wild Blue?

Despite the allegations of plagiary against Ambrose, I was pleased as punch to see a book dedicated to B24 airmen of the 15th USAAF, who flew missions from bases in Italy deep into Germany. My father flew with the 376th and 451st bombardment groups, 1944 - 1945.

Other than Operation Tidal Wave in 1943, I find very few of the 15th's BG's stories told in print or film/video. Suggestions?

Ambrose got lazy in his later years (IIRC, he was battling cancer) and his publicist said the plagiarism in The Wild Blue was done by a staffer who apparently did much of the 15th AF stuff not directly related to McGovern's story. I kinda doubt that, as I would expect that Ambrose would have had to approve what went out.

Doris Kearns Goodwin and others (Joe Biden, for one) have been caught lifting as well, but, being liberals in good standing, they skated and are still lionized.

Barrett Tillman put out The Forgotten Fifteenth about 4-5 years ago. It's a pretty good overview.

After the D-Day landings the MTO (Mediterranean Theater of Operations) became very much a forgotten story. Unfortunately, that was exactly when the 15th AF really got rolling. They fought several epic air battles (most of the 400 B-24s lost during missions against Ploesti were 15th AF ships) but received virtually no press. Reporters tend to be a lazy lot who like their creature comforts and Italy in 1944 had virtually zero in that department.

I discussed the F8F here back in '11: Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Cincinnati

Grumman shaved about a ton off the new plane compared to the F6F Hellcat but kept the 2000hp R2800 engine. This combination gave it a top speed in the mid-400s and made it highly maneuverable. Pilots nicknamed it "The Jellybean" because of its shape.

The first F8F squadrons were aboard the USS Midway (CV-41) and were almost to the combat zone off Japan when the War ended in August '45.

Tin Man, the very first plastic airplane model I ever assembled was an F8F wayyyy back in the time of Giant Lizards.

This just popped up on my YT feed. Seems that in 2009, a group called the Horseman Flight Team took three F8F Bearcat fighters up and flew with the Blue Angles. The F8F was the mount for the Navy Flight Demonstration Team from 1946-49.

At the event was 90 year-old Al Taddeo who was the last survivor of the original team.

Al Taddeo took off on his last mission on 17 August 2013.

Apparently somebody in my house was chopping onions during that last bit when Al was sitting at the controls of one of the 'Cats.

The original Blue Angels. The detail is fuzzy but I think that Al Taddeo is on the far left.

In the past, I worked with Mr. Friedkin’s company quite a bit and his collection of aircraft is incredible.

Reactions: OneManGang

VN Store

Back