Military History

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character

Part of a series of interviews with Dick Winters. This particular one was about Speirs.
Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like Speirs was just as crazy as they portrayed him in the series.. The more I see about Easy Co hear the stories and see the actual places where they fought, the more I’m impressed with the way Band of Brothers was done. Hard to believe that it was made 20+ years ago now.

GroverCleveland

22nd & 24th POTUS; non-Nobel Prize Winner
After reading a book on the Bataan Death March, I went within the next few days and traded in the Isuzu pickup I had for a Chevy. Avoided Japanese-made items, if possible, for years. Finally relented after seeing the father of the lady I was dating, a Hellcat pilot on the Yorktown in 1944-45, drive a Nissan. He saw two of his buddies and fellow pilots get shot down and killed. He shot down three Japanese aircraft himself. Figured if he was over it, I should be too. It was time to move on.

Neat story: in 1999 or 2000, his family and I took him to Charleston for Thanksgiving and, of course, went on the Yorktown. First time he'd been on the ship since '45. We about had to drag that old man from the Hellcat on the hangar deck. One of the neatest things I've ever gotten to do was be on that ship with him.

OneManGang

These men fired the first American shot of WWII. The destroyer USS Ward (DD-139) was patrolling the entrance to Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941 when she spotted a Japanese mini-sub following a minesweeper into the harbor. There was a net across the entrance to prevent subs entering but it was opened to let other ships in or out.

Ward spotted the periscope and the "sail" or superstructure of the sub and opened fire with its #3 4" gun. The crew reported a hit but the sub was diving so Ward depth charged it until debris rose to the surface. This was 90 minutes before the first Japanese plane dropped its bomb. Ward's report was rated as "unconfirmed" and no other action was taken despite the destroyer's skipper making repeated reports.

#3 4-inch gun uss ward.jpg

The Navy went so far as to question whether the gunners hit anything at all.

Some 75 years later an underwater survey of wrecks from that day found the mini-sub right where Ward said it was.

The photos revealed a neat 4-inch hole at the base of the sail. (NOAA)

minisub-photo3.jpg

CagleMtnVol

These men fired the first American shot of WWII. The destroyer USS Ward (DD-139) was patrolling the entrance to Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941 when she spotted a Japanese mini-sub following a minesweeper into the harbor. There was a net across the entrance to prevent subs entering but it was opened to let other ships in or out.

Ward spotted the periscope and the "sail" or superstructure of the sub and opened fire with its #3 4" gun. The crew reported a hit but the sub was diving so Ward depth charged it until debris rose to the surface. This was 90 minutes before the first Japanese plane dropped its bomb. Ward's report was rated as "unconfirmed" and no other action was taken despite the destroyer's skipper making repeated reports.

View attachment 418607

The Navy went so far as to question whether the gunners hit anything at all.

Some 75 years later an underwater survey of wrecks from that day found the mini-sub right where Ward said it was.

The photos revealed a neat 4-inch hole at the base of the sail. (NOAA)

View attachment 418609
I remember seeing a special on this some years ago.

VN Store