Military History

Toujours, where did that come from?

I'm in a facebook group for the ARPs from the 11th ACR, as it was my uncle's unit they invited me to join.

It's neat to watch those guys go back and forth with each other. That was written by the LT, he was relatively new to the position at the time. The previous LT was field commissioned

Last edited:
I was in Omaha last weekend for a reunion from my war, across the hall, just by chance, was the reunion for the 456th Bomb Group from WWII. They flew B-24s out of Italy, it was a true honor to talk to them. "Catch 22" guys.

OMG should have been there.

Yeah, we're quickly running out of those guys.

8th AF bomber crews had a higher casualty rate than the infantry. The 15th AF, operating out of Italy, was not far behind.

If you've ever been inside a '24 or a '17 you wonder just how in the hell they did it. Flying in unpressurized bombers at 25000ft in -60 temps, sucking on an oxygen mask, wearing an electrically heated fleece flight suit with a steel flak jacket and swinging .50 cals in a 200 mph headwind against Messerschmitts and FW190s making firing passes at 400 mph and firing 20mm cannons.

Brass ones. Great big brass ones.

The toll on the high road. A 91st Bomb Group (H) B-17 hit by a German air-to-air rocket. (USAF)

Attachments

• b17f-12.jpg
    b17f-12.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm in a facebook group for the ARPs from the 11th ACR, as it was my uncle's unit they invited me to join.

It's neat to watch those guys go back and forth with each other. That was written by the LT, he was relatively new to the position at the time. The previous LT was field commissioned

My Brother-in-law was an officer in the Blackhorse. WIA at Snoul during the Cambodia incursion.

I thought I recognized some of the names.

My Brother-in-law was an officer in the Blackhorse. WIA at Snoul during the Cambodia incursion.

I thought I recognized some of the names.

They managed to forget an AVLB pretty far into Cambodia and the ARPs had to go in and blow it after the wwithdrawal. Funny how pretty obvious details like that can be overlooked.

Not funny, a crying shame. Many good people lost covering others asses.

A friend talks about looking down at another huey on the way out of Cambodia, giving the guys inside the finger, then looking back moments later and it was gone, figured it was a catastrophic engine failure since it apparently just dropped from the sky with no recognizable AA fire.

You guys all did a great job in a thankless conflict, hopefully you've all found peace and are proud of a job well done. Thank You.

A friend talks about looking down at another huey on the way out of Cambodia, giving the guys inside the finger, then looking back moments later and it was gone, figured it was a catastrophic engine failure since it apparently just dropped from the sky with no recognizable AA fire./QUOTE]

Extremely rare for an engine failure to cause what you describe, saw a similar thing just South of Khe Sanh, a lucky shot with a RPG.

A friend talks about looking down at another huey on the way out of Cambodia, giving the guys inside the finger, then looking back moments later and it was gone, figured it was a catastrophic engine failure since it apparently just dropped from the sky with no recognizable AA fire./QUOTE]

Extremely rare for an engine failure to cause what you describe, saw a similar thing just South of Khe Sanh, a lucky shot with a RPG.

When did you join the Corps?

My mom's brother was wounded in 69, unsure of his unit, my dad had a very strange career considering the time, joined in 66, became whatever the USMC calls an anti tank infanryman, first station was on the Intrepid, then Gitmo, then back to the Intrepid. Never got orders for WestPac. My uncle was killed on his birthday a monthbor so after he got out.

guess I put too much detail into the above cmment for most of you to like or dislike or even comment, but that's the way it was, men. If you reember, the LZ was about 1000meters from the place that intelligene had said a VC mortar crew was going to hit Firebase Bandit that night. It was a very open area that we had to move through to get to the objective [maybe four square km]. The gooks must have seen us and got ready. When we hit thick brush, Mark McGinty just in front of me as point squad leader said, "Hold up, LT" and started to move toward what he saw. Almost simultaneiously, the gooks opened up and shot him in the elbow and collarbone ; I fired in tht irection, but couldn't see any gooks. Koonce went to help him and was shot in the forehead and fell back on a tree in the sitting poisition -- his eyes were looking stratght at me. Then Vesey came running up to me and was hit in the left temple and fell over my legs. Please excuse the "rambling" but all those details are vivid in my memory because at the time, I said to myself, "Don't you ever forget every detail of this and thje brave men who fought here." Later, saw Doc Herrara giving mouth-to-mouth resutation to Malcolm with Chuck Schopp right there, too, but John died in the medevac chopper. Worst day in my life and since the leader/coimmander is responsible for everything that happens or fails to happen to his unit, it was my fault. Like John Wayne said in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon": 'Only he who is in command can be blamed, it rests on me.'

A follow on to the previous piece.

I picked up The Outpost last night at B&N, buzzed through the first 100 or so pages in bed. Very well written, and I was surprised to see that several of the NCO's mentioned were in my troop as joes with me at one time or another

In Tennessee football history, the names of Willis Tucker, Bill Nowling, Clyde Fuson, and Rudy Klarer hold a special place of honor as men who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country in World War II. The "All-American Team" of 1944 may be of interest to those of you are equally passionate about college football and military history.

Apparently, no college football program lost more to World War II than Montana State. "14 Montana State players spanning the classes of 1935 through 1944 were killed in World War II. Astonishingly, during the 1940 and 1941 seasons, 11 were full or part-time starters on the then-Montana State College varsity.

Famed sportscaster Bill Stern was the first to publicize the story when Stern named MSU's fallen heroes his "All-American Team" of 1944. By war's end, their names had been memorialized in newspapers across the country and read into the Congressional Record by legislators. Although attained through tragic circumstances, it was national attention that Montana State had never known." Mountains & Minds: Everybody's All-Americans

The two world wars happened at a time when the political elites and the wealthy for the most part (yes, I know there were exceptions) felt that their position in life required service and sacrifice when the nation called for it.

The first Tennessean killed in WWI (as near as I can determine) was a kid from Chattanooga whose father was rector of 1st Methodist Church. His name was Charles Clark Loring. He went to Toronto where he joined the Canadian Army. Lieutenant Loring was KIA on 15 June 1915.

Prominent Knoxville businessman Cary Spence commanded the 117th Infantry in northern France. Nashvillian and Yale graduate Johnny Overton earned a DSC at Belleau Wood before being KIA at Soissons in July 1918.

Lt. Alexander Bonnyman earned a posthumous MoH on Betio Island in 1943. He was the scion of a very wealthy Tennesseefamily (his dad owned Blue Diamond Coal). He himself was president of a copper mine in New Mexico which, being a "War-Critical" industry meant he (and everyone working there) got an automatic exemption. He enlisted in the Marine Corps and earned a battlefield commission on Guadalcanal.

Franklin Roosevelt's sons served on destroyers in combat in the Pacific.

JFK, of course, had his PT boat cut in half by a Japanese destroyer.

Too many of our elites now see their position as a birthright.

Reactions: 2 people
Howe commanded the 55th Foot, who along with Connecticut Rangers, engaged French and Indians the day before Abercrombie's disastrous assault on Ticonderoga.

Attachments

• 20150831_122028.jpg
    20150831_122028.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
The two world wars happened at a time when the political elites and the wealthy for the most part (yes, I know there were exceptions) felt that their position in life required service and sacrifice when the nation called for it.

The first Tennessean killed in WWI (as near as I can determine) was a kid from Chattanooga whose father was rector of 1st Methodist Church. His name was Charles Clark Loring. He went to Toronto where he joined the Canadian Army. Lieutenant Loring was KIA on 15 June 1915.

Prominent Knoxville businessman Cary Spence commanded the 117th Infantry in northern France. Nashvillian and Yale graduate Johnny Overton earned a DSC at Belleau Wood before being KIA at Soissons in July 1918.

Lt. Alexander Bonnyman earned a posthumous MoH on Betio Island in 1943. He was the scion of a very wealthy Tennesseefamily (his dad owned Blue Diamond Coal). He himself was president of a copper mine in New Mexico which, being a "War-Critical" industry meant he (and everyone working there) got an automatic exemption. He enlisted in the Marine Corps and earned a battlefield commission on Guadalcanal.

Franklin Roosevelt's sons served on destroyers in combat in the Pacific.

JFK, of course, had his PT boat cut in half by a Japanese destroyer.

Too many of our elites now see their position as a birthright.

Nowadays, I couldn't see a president's children ever serving. Yet every English prince has been a combat helicopter pilot.

Reactions: 2 people
Nowadays, I couldn't see a president's children ever serving. Yet every English prince has been a combat helicopter pilot.

The British nobility has always been steered towards line service, in WW2 many of the best and brightest were happy to join the infantry and armored corps, whereas elites in America generally look upon it as paupers work, still do.

The British nobility has always been steered towards line service, in WW2 many of the best and brightest were happy to join the infantry and armored corps, whereas elites in America generally look upon it as paupers work, still do.

Amen

Prince William's callsign in A'stan was "Billy the Fish."

The reference is to his official title as HRH The Prince of Wales. Sound it out with a Brit accent.

Not sure how many in A'stan but his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew a Sea King helo in the Falklands War off HMS Invincible. In addition to plane guard and ASW duties, his squadron's helicopters also carried a transmitter designed to mimic the radars on the carrier. Essentially, they were missile bait. He took his turn along with all the others.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back