Mike Leach is Awesome

I don't see players signing up for more games if they are draft eligible. The draft is priority number one..

He is not wrong. Especially with December. Ive always thought dumb a whole month between conference Championship games to new years. Why not give 10-14 days? Yes i know teams want to give their fanbases time to setup travel plans but they would get enough people.

Reactions: Vol8188 and BUBear
He is not wrong. Especially with December. Ive always thought dumb a whole month between conference Championship games to new years. Why not give 10-14 days? Yes i know teams want to give their fanbases time to setup travel plans but they would get enough people.

It’s so odd that there’s a month in between games in the middle of the season. No other sport has that.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
I sure hope so. I am hoping they wouldn't drag it out into the new year even more.

when January 2 rolls around, it's really time for hoopla to be over with. People have to go back to work.

It’s so odd that there’s a month in between games in the middle of the season. No other sport has that.

No other sport has a stupid bowl system that is completely run by money.

Pee Wee football- playoff
Junior High football- playoff
High school- playoff
NFL-Playoff

College D1- thenobodygivesashitslapdick.com.org bowl

No other sport has a stupid bowl system that is completely run by money.

Pee Wee football- playoff
Junior High football- playoff
High school- playoff
NFL-Playoff

College D1- thenobodygivesashitslapdick.com.org bowl
Division I-A college football also has a very unique history relative to those other levels. Until the 80s and 90s, people talked about how a national championship in college football was mythical (Mythical national championship - Wikipedia). It wasn't necessarily something that was even strived for or on a team's radar. The game was, and still kind of is, a parochial game where rivalries and how you play in your conference are extremely important. They created these bowl games to "reward" teams for good seasons and pit conference champions against each other. A "national champion" was an odd concept in college football back in the day, just like it still is an odd concept in high school football today.

The bowls have been around for so long and are so entrenched in the economics and culture of the sport. It is only natural that as over time tastes changed and people wanted to declare a national champion, they build a playoff around the existing bowl structure.

I know this - the CFP is orders of magnitude better than the BCS, the BCS was orders of magnitude better than the Bowl Alliance/Bowl Coalition that preceded it, and that was better than the system that preceded it, which was nothing. This nostalgia for the BCS or old bowl systems is baffling to me. The reason the CFP was created was because of angst about the BCS.

Any sport is run by money. Nothing wrong with that. Believe me - if the NFL could adopt some alternative system for declaring a Super Bowl winner that would make them more money than a simple, single elimination tournament, they'd do it. I have no idea what such a system would be, because playoffs make all the sense in the world for pro sports leagues, but if one existed they'd make the switch.

Division I-A college football also has a very unique history relative to those other levels. Until the 80s and 90s, people talked about how a national championship in college football was mythical (Mythical national championship - Wikipedia). It wasn't necessarily something that was even strived for or on a team's radar. The game was, and still kind of is, a parochial game where rivalries and how you play in your conference are extremely important. They created these bowl games to "reward" teams for good seasons and pit conference champions against each other. A "national champion" was an odd concept in college football back in the day, just like it still is an odd concept in high school football today.

The bowls have been around for so long and are so entrenched in the economics and culture of the sport. It is only natural that as over time tastes changed and people wanted to declare a national champion, they build a playoff around the existing bowl structure.

I know this - the CFP is orders of magnitude better than the BCS, the BCS was orders of magnitude better than the Bowl Alliance/Bowl Coalition that preceded it, and that was better than the system that preceded it, which was nothing. This nostalgia for the BCS or old bowl systems is baffling to me. The reason the CFP was created was because of angst about the BCS.

Any sport is run by money. Nothing wrong with that. Believe me - if the NFL could adopt some alternative system for declaring a Super Bowl winner that would make them more money than a simple, single elimination tournament, they'd do it. I have no idea what such a system would be, because playoffs make all the sense in the world for pro sports leagues, but if one existed they'd make the switch.

I don't think I articulated very well what I think. I'm not anti-bowl, by any stretch. The more football the better. In fact, it was my goal to bring a bowl to Myrtle Beach or Charleston, SC, before I left there because I saw the economic benefits and the already built-in infrastructure to support a lower tier bowl. I actually had a conversation with the Mayor about it a couple days before the hurricane hit this fall about it. I had no impact on it at all, but I am an advocate for the communities that host bowl games to remain in place. I just don't want it to run everything. However, I think expanding the playoffs to 8 teams from 4 would be good. Not only that, but why not continue to expand the cities involved in the CFP semifinals and finals? Santa Clara is a good start this year. How about Vegas in a few years, Jax, Charlotte, D.C. maybe even NYC (they hosted a Super Bowl) San Diego, the new Rams stadium, Minneapolis?

I have noticed quite a few of these types of press conferences this year in Pullman. It's certainly entertaining.

Yeah all he does is win games at historically terrible schools. What a scrub.
I know right and brings an exciting high scoring offense to the table...He's certainly better than anything we have had on campus for the past 10 years that's for sure.

He is correct about the playoffs. The problem is there are 26 D1 conferences competing for a national championship and 20 of those conferences would never get a team in the final playoffs even if they went undefeated, so are they really part of the competition? No, they are not. Get D1 down to the 6 major conferences, which are the only ones involved anyway, and it's easy to have a 6 team (2 byes) or 8 team playoff. Break down all the old barriers, play everyone in your conference then have a championship game (consider that a playoff game), give the top 2 teams byes and play it off.

VN Store

Back