Mike DeCourcy article today on Pearl suspension

Fingers

1. So pretty good start for Tennessee. What happens when Coach Pearl goes away for the start of SEC play?

DeCourcy: There may be no coach in college basketball better at getting his team to play at a feverish pitch than Bruce Pearl. He convinced a team with six available players, some of them walk-ons, they could handle top-ranked Kansas last January. He took his Volunteers into largely hostile territory last weekend and fired them up to overpower No. 3 Pitt.
Bruce Pearl is about to begin his SEC-mandated suspension. Mike Decourcy considers the Vols without Pearl as well as other issues around college hoops.
Not all his players deliver all the time, though. Wing Scotty Hopson apparently has to be convinced before every tip-off he needs to exert himself. He was extraordinary against Pitt and scored 27 points; he was far below average against Oakland.
This is not equivalent to Jim Calhoun’s sabbatical last season; Pearl is not restricted from preparing his team, only from leading it into competition. So the team will be able to improve incrementally.
There might be a few games when his leadership or strategic ability will be missed. It could ultimately cost Tennessee a league title, or maybe a seed line or two, but the punishment’s construction – and this has been a theme throughout this ordeal – is not designed to be punitive enough.

Starting Five: Tennessee braces for Pearl's ban - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News

This is already getting so old. I wish the 'AA would move at a normal organization's pace. By the end of the season, this is going to be unbearable.

You don't think the punishment is enough, fine. What would you recommend and why.

IMHO Slive was out of line. With that being said, I hope the NCAA will take into account the punishment UT and the SEC has dealt out to be enough.

Go CBP and GO VOLS!

IMHO Slive was out of line. With that being said, I hope the NCAA will take into account the punishment UT and the SEC has dealt out to be enough.

Go CBP and GO VOLS!

I wish that would be true, but they will dish our more punishments for sure. All the violations were "minor" in nature, but lying to the AA is when this all blew up to a much more serioius sitation. I hope I'm wrong, but I think they will try to make an example of CBP. Could be in the form of post season tournaments for a year or two, maybe the loss of some scholarships, up to an entire year's suspension. Again, I think enough has already been done. The AA does what ever it wants to, and it is not fair and balanced at all. Actually it's bipolar, and needs to be revamped or retired in my opinion. Just keeping my fingers crossed it won't be any worse than the first two penalties stated above.

No way there won't be further sanctions. I just hope they don't go with a year suspension for Pearl. That would be a major blow to the program and to recruiting that will set us back for years.

The SEC suspension is a farce because he gets to coach the team the whole week. He just can't participate in gameday activities. The NCAA hammer that gets dropped on the program won't take such a pro-UT approach. The NCAA will likely tell Bruce Pearl to go home and enjoy soap operas for a year or more.

I've recently contacted the ADL and got a response back today that they'll be monitoring this development.

Bruce Pearl maybe needs some of you guys defending him. He won't stick up for himself, but there is an angle that should be aired. It is well known and brushed aside that these high school juniors were advised that it was against the rules for them to be there. Everybody remember that? Remember that Josh was even declarred ineligible for a time after it all come out. Remember? Now, I would like to think that another possible motive for Pearl's initial misinformation (lies) just might have been his atempt to protect these young kids who were warned that they should not have been there. So, its quite possible he deliberately attempted to cover it up for THEM and when it became apparent that the fish was out of the bag, he had to come clean. So, give the man the benefit of the doubt on this as he could have been protectinig these kids at the start of the investigation. A lie in not so onerous when it is told to protect a seemingly innocent child who was where he sould not have been and was told he should not have been there. It the investigation was in fact going after Josh, its admirable that Pearl tried to defuse it. But nobody has ever written a word about this. WHY?

Because that's the single most asinine defense of Pearl I've heard yet. Pearl showed how concerned how he is about protecting kids when he taped Deon Thomas.

kanyesmile.gif

I wish they would do something already, so all these lame threads will quit popping up, I am tired of ignoring them all.

Because that's the single most asinine defense of Pearl I've heard yet. Pearl showed how concerned how he is about protecting kids when he taped Deon Thomas.

Come on Hat, I thought you would appreciate creative defense Tactics. We've heard protecting his assistants and now simply trying to protect the recruits. Guess lying is ok if you are trying to protect others. Just serves to tell you what a great man Pearl is that he is willing to sacrifice his career trying to protect others.

VN Store

Back