Midseason Reranking of SEC coaches

I've seen more signs of competent coaching from Pittman in 6 games than Pruitt in 31.....

Maybe, but honestly, I think it's difficult to pick between Pruitt, Pittman, and Drinkwitz. If Pittman doesn't land Odom and Briles, I don't think Arkansas looks nearly as good.

I also think, in general. first years for college head coaches are misleading.

Also, let's not forget, that Pittman doesn't plan to keep running this offense. He's only running it because it works well with Chad Morris' players, but Pittman wants something more similar to what Pruitt wants.

We'll see where he is in 2 years from now. He's definitely been better than Pruitt this year, but I'm not going to read too much into that.

Say what you want, but Orgeron recruited the players and hired the coaches who put that 2019 season together.

All of that is a head coach’s job. He may eventually crash and burn, but the list of coaches who got to enjoy something like that are few.

Arguably the greatest team of all time.

That gets you some additional points in my book. Don’t be too hard on Ed O

Yep...only three coaches in the SEC have won a Natty. They don’t just give those away. You can’t dismiss it.

Maybe, but honestly, I think it's difficult to pick between Pruitt, Pittman, and Drinkwitz. If Pittman doesn't land Odom and Briles, I don't think Arkansas looks nearly as good.

I also think, in general. first years for college head coaches are misleading.

Also, let's not forget, that Pittman doesn't plan to keep running this offense. He's only running it because it works well with Chad Morris' players, but Pittman wants something more similar to what Pruitt wants.

We'll see where he is in 2 years from now. He's definitely been better than Pruitt this year, but I'm not going to read too much into that.

I'm not going to punish Pittman for the ability to find a QB and hire competent coordinators in Y1. Pruitt, in a similar situation, hired 2 coordinators with no P5 coordinating experience in Y1.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Pittman wins just as many games as ED with the players LSU brings in. School almost recruits for itself.

As of now, not all time...

1. Saban
2. Jimbo
3. Mullen
4. Pittman

The rest.....

ED showed this year he is a good coach but not great.

Pittman in the bottom half after the turnaround he's pulling at last years 2-10 Arkansas? He somehow beats either Florida or Bama, and he could be up for coach of the year.

If Pittman doesn't land Odom and Briles, I don't think Arkansas looks nearly as good.
But Pittman did land Odom and Briles. Hiring good assistants and coordinators is a very important part of your job as a coach. Pittman seems to be a very likeable guy that coaches like to work for, which seems to be the opposite of Pruitt unfortunately.

Now that we have a few more games to evaluate, here's SEC coach rankings. Not too terribly different from preseaon. Bumped Pittman up and Pruitt/Muschamp down a bit.

1. Nick Saban

2. Dan Mullen
3. Jimbo Fisher
4. Ed Orgeron
5. Kirby Smart
6. Gus Malzahn

(Note: 1 is easy. 2-6 is more personal preference).

7. Mark Stoops
8. Lane Kiffin
9. Mike Leach
10. Sam Pittman

(Note, not a lot of difference between these guys. Just personal preference)

11. Jeremy Pruitt
12. Eliah Drinkwitz
13. Derek Mason
14. Will Muschamp

(Not a lot of difference here. I think Muschamp has proven he's just not SEC HC material. Hard to evaluate Mason. Pruitt is heading quickly towards Muschamp territory. Drinkwitz, who knows.

What's everyone's rankings?
Stoops is a better coach than Smart or Malzahn. He just doesn't have the players that those two get. If Stoops ever takes the FSU job, watch out.
I would Pittman above those two, also. And Kiffin? He has yet to show he is a real coach. He has been fired from 2 of the 4 HC jobs he's had, before this one.

Last time around everyone argued Pruitt was top 3. What happened🤭
In full disclosure, I have never completely flipped and soured on a coach as quickly as I have Pruitt. Going into the Georgia game, I was 98% solidly behind CJP. But by the time he trotted JG back onto the field for the third series of the second half against KY, it became clear to me that I had been totally hoodwinked.

But Pittman did land Odom and Briles. Hiring good assistants and coordinators is a very important part of your job as a coach. Pittman seems to be a very likeable guy that coaches like to work for, which seems to be the opposite of Pruitt unfortunately.
It’s job #1. If you succeed there you have a good chance of being successful.
Pitman should be in the top five based on what’s happened so far this year.

In full disclosure, I have never completely flipped and soured on a coach as quickly as I have Pruitt. Going into the Georgia game, I was 98% solidly behind CJP. But by the time he trotted JG back onto the field for the third series of the second half against KY, it became clear to me that I had been totally hoodwinked.

Pruitt knew he didn’t have a 2nd QB ready to play, that’s the reason, I’m so down on Pruitt.
3 years and no backup at the most important position on the field, blasphemy by a HC

Now that we have a few more games to evaluate, here's SEC coach rankings. Not too terribly different from preseaon. Bumped Pittman up and Pruitt/Muschamp down a bit.

1. Nick Saban

2. Dan Mullen
3. Jimbo Fisher
4. Ed Orgeron
5. Kirby Smart
6. Gus Malzahn

(Note: 1 is easy. 2-6 is more personal preference).

7. Mark Stoops
8. Lane Kiffin
9. Mike Leach
10. Sam Pittman

(Note, not a lot of difference between these guys. Just personal preference)

11. Jeremy Pruitt
12. Eliah Drinkwitz
13. Derek Mason
14. Will Muschamp

(Not a lot of difference here. I think Muschamp has proven he's just not SEC HC material. Hard to evaluate Mason. Pruitt is heading quickly towards Muschamp territory. Drinkwitz, who knows.

What's everyone's rankings?
If Pruitt had done for the Vols half of what Pittman has done for the Hogs, they'd be building statues of him in Knoxville. As for Orgeron being in the top four, I'd be surprised if he lasts two more years. His 2019 team was like getting struck by lightning; this year's is more reflective of his abilities. He's a goner.

It goes deeper than that. Being close to Fayetteville, I hear that the players are sold on him as well. It reminds me of what Bowden Wyatt's players used to say about him: "If coach told us to run through the south wall of Neyland, we'd die trying".

It goes deeper than that. Being close to Fayetteville, I hear that the players are sold on him as well. It reminds me of what Bowden Wyatt's players used to say about him: "If coach told us to run through the south wall of Neyland, we'd die trying".
I’m not surprised. He’s always been an elite recruiter and supposedly the players pushed hard for him to be hired last year. I’ve never heard a bad thing about the guy.

And Drink beat Orgegon and Stoops, so there's that.

Losing to us trumps that. And beating Orgeron is not an accomplishment this year! Lol

Hell, it may not be an accomplishment anytime soon. I would literally bet money that Orgeron is gone in 2-3 years. He is Chizak 2.0

Not sure Vandy was ranked inside the top 15......there wasn’t a ton expected of them.

Pruitt’s team had a lot of expectations. 5th year QB......and got smoked at home by KY.....along with several other bad losses.

Pruitt has to be very near the bottom.

VN Store

Back