Mid range jumper....

I love the midrange shot. It's a shame that players are discouraged to shoot it so much nowadays. I like how our team does. I think it adds variety to offenses, one more thing for the defense to have to think about.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Yep. The infatuation with the 3 point shot that some believe boxed out Carmelo Anthony from his impact spot in the league anymore seemed to see its honeymoon end with the midrange returning as a coveted attribute in the toolbox once again.

Yep. The infatuation with the 3 point shot that some believe boxed out Carmelo Anthony from his impact spot in the league anymore seemed to see its honeymoon end with the midrange returning as a coveted attribute in the toolbox once again.
If Carmelo shot more than 40% on those mid range jumpers it would have helped. Draymond Green's mediocre 30% from 3 was a more efficient offense with a way lower use rate. Carmelo could only demand one defender and still didn’t want to pass it.

If our guys shoot over 50% on those mid range shots they should absolutely be taking them. Most NBA teams figured out that very few players can shoot consistently enough from mid range to make it worth seeking out that shot. Shaun Livingston sticks out as a conspicuous exception, with his height and passing ability making it a difficult shot to defend in the first place.

If Carmelo shot more than 40% on those mid range jumpers it would have helped. Draymond Green's mediocre 30% from 3 was a more efficient offense with a way lower use rate. Carmelo could only demand one defender and still didn’t want to pass it.

If our guys shoot over 50% on those mid range shots they should absolutely be taking them. Most NBA teams figured out that very few players can shoot consistently enough from mid range to make it worth seeking out that shot. Shaun Livingston sticks out as a conspicuous exception, with his height and passing ability making it a difficult shot to defend in the first place.

Yup. It's about Effective Field Goal Percentage. Math is what killed the midrange shot.

Let's look at a sample of 100 shots

A 35% 3-point shooter would score 105 points

A 50% midrange shooter would score 100 points

You've gotta be really good at midrange jumpers for it to make sense in volume. Yes, there are times where you pick your shot and take the higher percentage shot, but in a vacuum, there is a clear reason (at least at the pro level) The Warriors have ascended to be the best team.

Now a different argument altogether is whether taking more midrange shots opens up the floor to improve efficiency at other shots. I think for the most part though, this has been tested and defenses would just prefer to give you the shot look.

I love the midrange shot. It's a shame that players are discouraged to shoot it so much nowadays. I like how our team does. I think it adds variety to offenses, one more thing for the defense to have to think about.
I doubt there are many coaches that discourage the mid-range J. There was such an influx of "athletes" into the college game in the 80's and 90's that the vast majority took it to the rim, and the rest were focused on 3-point shooting. Essentially, the day of the mid-range jumper disappeared. Ask most coaches, and I'm pretty sure they would love guys that can hit the 2 and the 3.

The Warriors indeed are pretty good, but they're currently only tied for the 5th best record (winning pct.) the last data I saw.

The Warriors indeed are pretty good, but they're currently only tied for the 5th best record (winning pct.) the last data I saw.

They’ve got 3 of the last 4 championships and the other was a runner-up.

This might be the year they fall off, but that’s pretty extreme cherry picking.

It’s also after 4 years of other teams widely adopting the fundamentals of their offense, while they themselves are having trouble with Green’s poor shooting and Durant’s preference for isolation plays. If Green keeps shooting 25% from deep, his defender will keep fading to the inside to take away the drive and the passing lanes. It’s gotten pretty extreme in some cases.

I doubt there are many coaches that discourage the mid-range J. There was such an influx of "athletes" into the college game in the 80's and 90's that the vast majority took it to the rim, and the rest were focused on 3-point shooting. Essentially, the day of the mid-range jumper disappeared. Ask most coaches, and I'm pretty sure they would love guys that can hit the 2 and the 3.

I meant that most coaches discourage taking the 15-20 foot jumpers and would rather have the players make the 3. According to analytics, the midrange jumper is the worst shot you can take.

Reactions: cardvolfan

Oh, no cherry picking though I can see why it would seem like it. I acknowledge the Dubs dominance in recent history.
In the context of recent changes in the NBA, I thought this discussion was speaking of the present and presently they are tied for 5th in the league with the 76ers while 2nd in their division. Their body of work speaks for itself. I am just saying currently, as in right now, they are tied for 5th.

Oh, no cherry picking though I can see why it would seem like it. I readily acknowledge the Dubs dominance in recent history. They earned the crowns. Same way there's no way I'd knock Bama for last night's game if acknowledging Clemson's most recent achievement. In the context of recent changes in the NBA, I thought this discussion was speaking of the present and presently they are tied for 5th in the league with the 76ers while 2nd in their division. Their body of work speaks for itself. I am just saying currently, as in right now, they are tied for 5th.

It’s also after 4 years of other teams widely adopting the fundamentals of their offense, while they themselves are having trouble with Green’s poor shooting and Durant’s preference for isolation plays. If Green keeps shooting 25% from deep, his defender will keep fading to the inside to take away the drive and the passing lanes. It’s gotten pretty extreme in some cases.

The Warriors' coaching staff have got to figure out how to avoid pulling Green out to the perimeter so often. If Green can't hit a 3 (which he can't), he shouldn't be out on the perimeter. Dennis Rodman was always an offensive liability for the Bulls, but he never hindered their offense because he couldn't make a 3. It's stupid to have Green way out on the perimeter.

Regular season does not mean that much. Make the playoffs, and then the real competition starts.
Agreed. Yeah, in retrospect, I guess pointing out they're currently tied for 5th (not first) was splitting hairs. Only the titles count.
Tone in text can be difficult to interpret, so that previous sentence wasn't sarcastic. I'm just not convinced that it's entirely an either/or dilemma with 3s vs. midrange. Granted, every midrange jumpshot is one less opportunity to shoot a 3, but I simply assert taking and making the open midrange when you have a good look can keep the defense honest creating more weapons for opponents to prepare for and giving you at least a slight advantage which could potentially allow you to attempt even more 3's. How? Well, if the defense knows you'll only take 3s, then more will be contested. If they must prepare to defend against both, after a couple of midrange field goals made, they may play back to hedge their bet allowing more uncontested 3 point attempts than before and thus a higher probability of more made according to those same analytics referenced. Kind of like an extra dimension to the inside out game. It could also result in drawing more fouls. They think it's business as usual, you throw a mean head fake to get them airborne and then drive or take a few steps to get the open look. If they're set to guard against the midrange, then kick it back out to the perimeter for the open 3. That kind of thing can keep a defense guessing if added as a wrinkle.

VN Store

Back