Mickey Dearstone successor...

FormerLadyVolFan

When is this going to be announced?

I think Brian Rice should be the next man up. He already does Lady Vol Softball, and if you happen to notice, is the scorekeeper at the Lady Vol Basketball games - he's even filled in for Mike Hammond as the PA announcer on a couple of occasions. He reminds me so much of Mike Keith, with a great delivery and knowledge at the tip of his tongue.

I understand that the UTAD wants him to have the job, but apparently the Vol Network folks have the final say?! Please don't screw it up with outsider with a 'cute' delivery style! Brian has the background and done the hard work to earn the job.

When is this going to be announced?

I think Brian Rice should be the next man up. He already does Lady Vol Softball, and if you happen to notice, is the scorekeeper at the Lady Vol Basketball games - he's even filled in for Mike Hammond as the PA announcer on a couple of occasions. He reminds me so much of Mike Keith, with a great delivery and knowledge at the tip of his tongue.

I understand that the UTAD wants him to have the job, but apparently the Vol Network folks have the final say?! Please don't screw it up with outsider with a 'cute' delivery style! Brian has the background and done the hard work to earn the job.

John Wilkerson could do football and men's basketball and Vince Ferrara could take over the baseball games.

Bob Kesling needs to retire in my opinion.

The guy who did Cumberland University men's and women's for 7 or 8 years would get my vote, if I had one...He also did Lebanon HS for a while IIRC..I like old school..lol

I would see many values of HER being a Woman with knowledge and wisdom about basketball. Pro the Lady Vols but not an absolute homer, and not one of the really its all about me and my opinion.

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
I don't mean to embarrass Rice, because he's fairly solid now, but when he first started broadcasting softball games he was completely inexperienced and laughably bad. I don't know if he was getting paid or was just volunteering. In any case, he didn't seem to know that a radio broadcaster has to describe everything that is happening in the game. The listern wants and needs detail, and that requires almost constant talking while the action is going on.

Rice didn't say much. He'd announce a player at the plate, for example--and then there would be radio silence for a while, and the next time he heard his voice the count would be 3 and 2. There'd be another prolonged pause...and when he next spoke the player who was at the plate would suddenly be on second base and there's be another batter at the plate. What happened? We weren't told! Another prolonged pause....and then he'd announce that the Vols had scored a run! No info on how! As I say, he was brand new to broadcasting at that time and has improved significantly since.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Bobby Rader, who is already involved with the Vol Network would be a good choice. He did Carson-Newman sports for several years, and does a very good play by play.

Reactions: Rooster69
Great choice.....I was hoping he would get the gig.
ENcr5AYg_400x400.jpg

Very nice addition for the Lady Vols - congrats Brian !!!
He has grown and become an excellent in-game announcer over the years and will make an excellent replacement for Mr. Dearstone.

I honestly wouldn't mind Brian filling on for Kessling one or two times on the football broadcast just to see how he likes it and how he does.
As others have pointed out in the past - the two games have a different pace (much as softball and basketball) and require a different approach when calling the game.
It would be interesting to see how he would fair.

Not a fan of Rice. Not being mean but I don't enjoy listening to him.

That's just me. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. To each his on.

I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't agree with rice as the voice of the lady vols basketball. I don't care if my opinion will be called out but we would be better off with anyone else. If Wilkerson wasn't doing baseball would the best choice. I make no excuses that I'm not a rice fan by any means. In my personal opinion he's a person that thinks way to high of himself. Sorry.

VN Store

Back