Michael Lombardi mid-season awards- "Alvin Kamara is the real MVP"

SNAFU

-Kamara is leading the Saints’ offense in rushing yards, averaging 4.9 yards per carry
-Leads the team in receptions with 60 with the next leading receiver on the Saints being Emmanuel Sanders, with 30 receptions
"Kamara is the Saints’ offense — from start to finish, everything the Saints implement begins and ends with how teams must handle Kamara."

-With Brees not showing arm strength or willingness to push the ball downfield (only 8 passes thrown between 21 and 40 yards), he must compensate using Kamara's versatility, shiftiness, and YAC.
"Where he is in the formation is the first concern for the opponent’s defensive signal-caller. If Kamara is aligned in a weird location in the formation, like inside the slot with a tight end outside, the matchups must be correct, or else the check becomes a vanilla coverage."

The Athletic

Here we go again----------Damn Butch!
Not my intent to reflect on Butch but rather recognize the skills and accomplishments of a VFL. I don't think Kamara gets nearly the credit he deserves. It's Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson and until this past week, Brady for the MVP talk. Kamara is special Butch is in the past.

I never understood Butch not getting credit for Kamara. Hurd was our star, starting as a freshman, 800 yards from setting the all-time Tennessee rushing record going into his Junior year.
Kamara was a JUCO transfer. Both were plenty talented, and one had been in the system. And Kamara still more receptions than Hurd in both 2015 and 2016, their snap count and rushing attempts were pretty similar in 2016 (albeit Hurd didnt play the full season). But it's not like Kamara was riding the pine with 2000 yards and 23 TDs.
Then, Hurd went to Baylor and still put up good numbers, and might be playing in the NFL if not for injuries. Lordy, what would you guys have done? Put Hurd on the bench so our offense was predictable?

Edit Addition: And, they were both drafted in the third round of the NFL draft. So that means every NFL level evaluator had them at about the same talent level when they finished college....

Last edited:
Reactions: Boca Vol
I love that he's so successful in the NFL, but I don't think we'll ever see an non-QB win again. They are that valuable in the league. There is no replacing even remotely a Russell Wilson or Mahomes if you lose them.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
I love that he's so successful in the NFL, but I don't think we'll ever see an non-QB win again. They are that valuable in the league. There is no replacing even remotely a Russell Wilson or Mahomes if you lose them.

Have to agree with this.

Panthers have CMC...who just like Kamara led the team (NFL) in receptions, averages bout 5 yards a carry too...and was responsible for about half the teams total yards from scrimmage. Easily the best 3 backs in the league are those 2 plus Henry.

Yet when CMC was out for the 1st half of the season the Panthers still won half their games with a backup at RB, who also put up good yardage and was effective.

Remove Any of those top QBs from their team and there is no way that they win half of their games...would struggle to win any of them. I also disagree with that author in that a Brees led Saints team without Kamara could still win games....but how many games would the Titans win without Henry? He IS their offense. Folks forget what the meaning of MVP is ...it isnt the best player in the league. Its the Most Valuable Player to their team...the most critical, most important, irreplaceable. The top 3 or 4 QBs are the MVPs...then Henry IMO.

Reactions: VolArmy74

VN Store

Back