'22 MI OT Masai Reddick (Tennessee signee)

Recruiting rankings only matter when they commit to U.T. Otherwise they are overlooked guys who only need to be “coached up”. I think I would rather have the top guys like bama, Georgia, Ohio st., LSU, Clemson, tx. a&m., oregon, etc.
I want the best players. Period. If that's UT competing for and getting guys pursued by top programs then great. If it is UT finding guys who others haven't noticed but will develop into great players... just as good. There's a more secure feeling in getting the higher rated players. Where has that left us over the past several years? UT seems to have a knack for finding the 4/5* guys who the recruiting sites were wrong about... even when it seemed that top programs also wanted them.

I want the best players. Period. If that's UT competing for and getting guys pursued by top programs then great. If it is UT finding guys who others haven't noticed but will develop into great players... just as good. There's a more secure feeling in getting the higher rated players. Where has that left us over the past several years? UT seems to have a knack for finding the 4/5* guys who the recruiting sites were wrong about... even when it seemed that top programs also wanted them.
Go to Burger King, they give it to ya your way, right away.

Would you rather land a commitment from a top 100 player in the country with an impressive offer list, or a top 1100 kid in the country who’s only other recent offers have been Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Marshall, and Utah State?

I’ll hang up and listen.
For the first year, the higher rated guy should be closer to seeing the field. But ability to take coaching and change his body over the following 3-4 years may surprise you at how close they end up.

Rashawn Slater chose Northwestern over Illinois, Kansas, Wyoming and Rice. Christian Darrisaw had one FBS offer from Va Tech. Both were first rounders this year. OL scouting is the ultimate inexact science.

Last edited:
If some haven't noticed, most of the Heupel commits are very high character, very hard working, very intelligent, and well spoken kids. These are the types of kids that are likely to remain loyal, and help build a strong foundation in the first few years. You can't develop kids that aren't hard working, very coachable, or no longer with the program.
To add.. Oline recruits are ones to be molded and developed. That's one position you HOPE is not needed when they are in their first year of college but rather in the 3rd year +. His size doesn't matter at this point in time because hopefully he will get 2+ years to develop. The best olines UT had were players that in the system for several years. Some of the top olines in the country are all 5 stars.. This recruit seems intelligent.. The smarter the faster...

If you think about it, from where Tennessee sits right now, a coach who can sift through the 3 stars and find a gem is more valuable than one who goes after every 4 and 5 star. Far less competition for the 3* who ultimately develops into a star at his position. Everybody competes for the 5 star because assessments are easier.

Only time will show if our coaches choose wisely or not, but I won't write off anyone they select just yet.

Tennessee commit Masai Reddick has really played well the first two games. A lot of observers who were at the Prep Kickoff Classic and yesterday's game concur. The big man plays mean, but the big thing is, at 325 pounds, he is getting off the ball well, moving well and continues to show he was a steal for the Vols who snuck in and stole him while other schools were still deciding on offering or not. That looks like it will pay off.
Scouting Notes: Detroit Cass Tech at Muskegon

Tennessee commit Masai Reddick has really played well the first two games. A lot of observers who were at the Prep Kickoff Classic and yesterday's game concur. The big man plays mean, but the big thing is, at 325 pounds, he is getting off the ball well, moving well and continues to show he was a steal for the Vols who snuck in and stole him while other schools were still deciding on offering or not. That looks like it will pay off.
Scouting Notes: Detroit Cass Tech at Muskegon

that kid is from Detroit you know hes tough

We’re they over rated or did our coaching suck?

VQ article on him says he likes our aggressive playstyle. He can work right away with up tempo offense because that is what his school runs. Plays OG and OT, but Vols going to use him as an OG. Vols like his pulling ability. Stays in regular contact with the coaching staff, Kingston Harris, Addison Nichols, Mo Clipper, Brian Grant, and Venson Sneed. Can't wait to being in Neyland Stadium again, should come back up for the Vandy game.

“Most teams have backed off and reduced conversations with me,” Reddick concluded. “Kentucky still reaches out from time to time, but I’m 100 percent solid in my decision with Tennessee.”

Last edited:
We’re they over rated or did our coaching suck?

Both. Jeremy Pruitt didn’t lose the ability to coach defense.. His scheme was complicated and he coached players of marginal talent.
Butch Jones and Derek Dooley were subpar coaches at the SEC level and Tennessee was dumb enough to hire them.

Both. Jeremy Pruitt didn’t lose the ability to coach defense.. His scheme was complicated and he coached players of marginal talent.
Butch Jones and Derek Dooley were subpar coaches at the SEC level and Tennessee was dumb enough to hire them.
Ehh I think Pruitt isn’t much better than Butch to be honest. The only place he’s been successful at already had superior talent to anyone they played. Look at what happened here and now with the Giants.

Ehh I think Pruitt isn’t much better than Butch to be honest. The only place he’s been successful at already had superior talent to anyone they played. Look at what happened here and now with the Giants.

Pruitt’s resumé pales in comparison to Butch’s. Not saying Butch is good but the only thing Pruitt was better at was the press conference.

Reactions: OrangeDrip

You know Pruitt isn’t the Giants DC, right?

Not trying to defend him but I’m not sure you can put that one on him.

Reactions: VolNash17

VN Store

Back