'22 MI OT Masai Reddick (Tennessee signee)

You do realize most of these rankings are subjective and a lot of these kids haven’t been properly ranked due to COVID?

By that logic, the NFL should be filled with 4 & 5* players even though the NFL is made up of mostly 2 & 3* players?

Why is that though? If you can play, the NFL will find you no matter what your star ranking was coming out of high school.
Why not skip both and go without an OL altogether? We’re not bound by conventional options. 😒

We need good evaluators of talent instead of top 100 guys that give us the warm fuzzies bc of their ranking…. If they can’t evaluate talent then it will be like a lot coaches taking overrated 4-5* to impress their fan base…. When we start winning enough games then the star ranking will start to match our coaches evaluations.
Identifying the types who are effective in this blocking scheme is currently more important than landing guys with more stars who are bad fits. Big uglies are like cattle. Show them where the grass is greener and they slowly graze their way there. Sam Pittman wasn’t 5 star herder Sam Pittman until he landed at UGA, but he built his rep and rapport at his other stops and the Dawgs benefitted. Safe to say he didn’t recruit everyone when he could pick and choose.

You do realize most of these rankings are subjective and a lot of these kids haven’t been properly ranked due to COVID?

And that’s fine. But his mediocre offer list is what alarms me. To contrast - the Florida DT that just committed bas a similar ranking but power house schools have been offering him lately.

By that logic, the NFL should be filled with 4 & 5* players even though the NFL is made up of mostly 2 & 3* players?

Why is that though? If you can play, the NFL will find you no matter what your star ranking was coming out of high school.

Because of volume.

There are approximately 32 five star kids each cycle.

Approximately 280-300 four stars each cycle.

But there are over 3200 three and two star kids EACH CYCLE!!

247 did a breakdown a few years ago. I’m sure you could google it and find it.

Something like 60% of 5 stars make it to the NFL

25% of 4 stars make it.

But only something like 5% of three stars make it to the NFL.

Stopped reading after you lied in your first couple sentences.
Prove that I lied... or was even mistaken. You stopped reading because you don't you'd rather protect your ego than consider the possibility that you are wrong.

I’m sure the rest of the drivel was you trying to spin how you love landing kids were beating out MAC schools for as opposed to landing kids other SEC schools are after. We both know you’re FOS, but you do you homie.
Yeah. That just "screams" I'm a reasonable guy just concerned about what is true.

I'm not "spinning" anything. There are talented guys who get noticed in situations just like this. The staff has enough experience to have worked with some very good OL's. They'll get about 75 scholarship offers to prove they know and can develop talent. I don't know if this kid is any good or not. They're apparently confident enough to bet one of their 75 "chips" on him.

I do know that those you place blind faith in are frequently wrong about the guys they rate highly and miss guys with a lot of talent. That's not spinning. That's not conjecture. That is documented FACT.

And that’s fine. But his mediocre offer list is what alarms me. To contrast - the Florida DT that just committed bas a similar ranking but power house schools have been offering him lately.

Because of volume.

25% of 4 stars make it.

You don't even look at the numbers you present as proof of your point.

Did you do the math? Those numbers mean that in any draft... 18 or 19 5* guys will get drafted... another 14 or so will not. About 75 4* guys will get drafted. Over 200 will not.

So total the recruiting sites will have found less than 100 of the best 260 prospects in any given year. They MISS 160 or more.

That's the point you keep ignoring. Many of those guys are 3* that are noticed and recruited strongly. Some are 2* that play at Weber State and never get noticed by big programs. You are poopooing this kid based on the "expertise" of guys who miss that often.

Okay @sjt18 not gonna argue. You’d rather sign lowly rated kids with mediocre offer lists than highly ranked kid’s all the top schools are after.

Cool.

Not gonna argue with that kind of idiocy.

Okay @sjt18 not gonna argue. You’d rather sign lowly rated kids with mediocre offer lists than highly ranked kid’s all the top schools are after.

Cool.

I would rather sign kids with talent who will develop into the best players rather than simply those noticed by some journalist. The best players may have high ratings.... or not.

The "idiocy" is the amount of faith you are placing in the rankings. They "matter" on average... but not as specifically to particular players as you seem to believe... and much less for OL's.

Not surprisingly, you had to build and burn a straw man... you can't even be honest about the point I'm making.

Cool.

Most folks would much rather sign higher rated guys. That hasn't done us much over the past decade as we have had some pretty good classes and done virtually nothing with them. Right now we have to be a little more open minded because we have zollicoffered ourselves so many times that most higher rated guys aren't going to touch us with a ten foot pole. We are going to have to take high 3*'s and low 4*'s and develop them. We have few other options. You can keep saying we should take only high 4 and 5 stars but that doesn't change the fact that our program is toxic and they ain't coming. CJH and this coaching staff will have to prove that they can do more with less and then the higher rated guys will start giving us a look again. Unfortunately, we can't skip steps in this process. Pruitt tried to and we fell further back into the pit than ever before.

Most folks would much rather sign higher rated guys. That hasn't done us much over the past decade as we have had some pretty good classes and done virtually nothing with them. Right now we have to be a little more open minded because we have zollicoffered ourselves so many times that most higher rated guys aren't going to touch us with a ten foot pole. We are going to have to take high 3*'s and low 4*'s and develop them. We have few other options. You can keep saying we should take only high 4 and 5 stars but that doesn't change the fact that our program is toxic and they ain't coming. CJH and this coaching staff will have to prove that they can do more with less and then the higher rated guys will start giving us a look again. Unfortunately, we can't skip steps in this process. Pruitt tried to and we fell further back into the pit than ever before.
We certainly can't expect it before the team has taken the field and shown improvement. It is just not going to happen.

You’re never not going full zollicoffer ever again, huh? 🙁

And that’s it in a nutshell. No NEED to dog the guys we’re getting, our coaching staff is working their butts off in a strong headwind with one hand tied behind their backs.
Be glad that we seem to have an intelligent head coach this go round, and root for the guys we get. If it don’t work out, there’ll be PLENTY of time to complain later.

Because of volume.

25% of 4 stars make it.

I took the liberty to break down even further off those numbers
19.2 5 stars
75. 4 stars
160 3 and 2 star players picked in draft

I would rather sign kids with talent who will develop into the best players rather than simply those noticed by some journalist. The best players may have high ratings.... or not.

The "idiocy" is the amount of faith you are placing in the rankings. They "matter" on average... but not as specifically to particular players as you seem to believe... and much less for OL's.

Not surprisingly, you had to build and burn a straw man... you can't even be honest about the point I'm making.
Recruiting rankings only matter when they commit to U.T. Otherwise they are overlooked guys who only need to be “coached up”. I think I would rather have the top guys like bama, Georgia, Ohio st., LSU, Clemson, tx. a&m., oregon, etc.

Reactions: EdEcEko77
If some haven't noticed, most of the Heupel commits are very high character, very hard working, very intelligent, and well spoken kids. These are the types of kids that are likely to remain loyal, and help build a strong foundation in the first few years. You can't develop kids that aren't hard working, very coachable, or no longer with the program.

Recruiting rankings only matter when they commit to U.T. Otherwise they are overlooked guys who only need to be “coached up”. I think I would rather have the top guys like bama, Georgia, Ohio st., LSU, Clemson, tx. a&m., oregon, etc.

Yeah that’s the point he keeps glossing over - it’s more so the offer lists. I already pointed to the similarly ranked DT that we just landed. Idgaf about his ranking because he’s recently been offered by Florida, Ole Miss, Georgia, Penn State etc.

It’s the ranking COMBINED with the lack of quality offers that worries me about this kid.

Because this isn’t the case of this kid being from some podunk school that no one scouts, or a kid that doesn’t camp. He goes to a HS that regularly puts kids in P5 programs and he camps.

So yeah - there’s cause for concern.

Everyone wants to say “well omg all our recent 5 star lineman have been meh.” Okay. Fair. But you don’t really have a point because ALL our recent lineman have been meh. In fact you could say ALL our recent players across the board have underachieved. It isn’t like 5 star Trey Smith underperformed while 3 star Ollie Lane balled out.

So yeah, obviously development has been an issue.

And yeah, this coaching staff has shown the ability to develop guys at an impressive clip - sending three stars to the NFL regularly at UCF.

But if we’re being honest here - im pretty sure we’d all rather see them develop the more naturally talented players - which we all know are the kids that the Ohio State, Clemsons, Georgia’s, Florida’s, Alabama’s, etc etc etc etc are offering. Or ANY of the other SEC schools really. Because yeah we’re not gonna beat out many of those guys for a kid at present.

Excuse me if id be more excited landing a commit from a kid Arkansas is after, more than a kid Arkansas State is after.

Per Bleacher Report, Tennessee has 2 of the top 20 worst 5* recruiting busts of the 2000’s.

5*’s haven’t always been our friends.

Reactions: onevol74

FIRST sensible statement you've made all day :p

If some haven't noticed, most of the Heupel commits are very high character, very hard working, very intelligent, and well spoken kids. These are the types of kids that are likely to remain loyal, and help build a strong foundation in the first few years. You can't develop kids that aren't hard working, very coachable, or no longer with the program.

STAYING on point here with this gem as well

Sorry @Freak but these quotes are everything and nothing else here needs to be read about the state of our recruiting

Go about your evening and good night all

Go Vols!

Reactions: bigl3327
so looking at raw numbers more 3 stars are drafted than 5 stars? 5% of 3200 is more than 60% of 32. if you know what youre doing in terms of scouting I personally would take my chances with thee 3 star prospects along the offensive line. Seems offensive linemen are the hardest position to project

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
Look at the Alabama WR were likely going to land - Marquarius White. Similarly ranked .87xx three star but idgaf about that. His offers this year - Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Georgia, etc.

Boom
I think a lot are going to fall through the cracks as far as getting offers this year as well…… if they weren’t on the radar before covid then they may be overlooked right now.

so looking at raw numbers more 3 stars are drafted than 5 stars? 5% of 3200 is more than 60% of 32. if you know what youre doing in terms of scouting I personally would take my chances with thee 3 star prospects along the offensive line. Seems offensive linemen are the hardest position to project

Alabama, Georgia, and all the other best teams in college football be like “why didn’t we think of that!”

JFC some of you people are potato heads.

Largely agree. I think they would compete better for the higher rated guys if the NCAA stuff was resolved.

But your major point that they have to prove something on the field is absolutely right... and they can't wait until 3 or 4 years from now to do it. As "unfair" as it seems... they have to start showing it this fall. Win more than currently expected. Compete better than currently expected.

VN Store

Back