'22 MI OT Masai Reddick (Tennessee signee)

A 1042 ranking is indicative of a mediocre power 5 player yes. If they evaluate him and bump him, then I'm all for it. But the ranking AND more importantly the offer list is pretty underwhelming. From the looks of it - this isn't the kind of player that is gonna get us where we hope to be any time soon.

The people who blindly boom every commit baffle me. Why even follow recruiting if you're just gonna jizz yourself no matter who commits?
Offensive line is the hardest position to project, especially since he may be blocking a guy he outweighs by 75-100 lbs at that level. How did a high ranking work with the following 5* players? Richmond, Morris, Wright, Mays? Our line was dismal last year. There’s a lot that goes into it besides where 247 and Rivals have them ranked.

This year is even harder because of a lack of camps and official visits (j.e. private workouts). For once we have an offensive staff that has been intact for several years. They have a system and should be allowed to recruit players that fit it. Same will apply to RB and possibly QB.

Last edited:
Offensive line is the hardest position to project, especially since he may be blocking a guy he outweighs by 75-100 lbs at that level. How did a high ranking work with the following 5* players? Richmond, Morris, Wright, Mays? Our line was dismal last year. There’s a lot that goes into it besides where 247 and Rivals have them ranked.

This year is even harder because of a lack of camps and official visits (j.e. private workouts). For once we have an offensive staff that has been intact for several years. They have a system and should be allowed to recruit players that fit it. Same will apply to RB and possibly QB.
Not to mention camps are usually misleading for linemen on both sides. They’re great for highlighting certain things like footwork and handfighting but fail to really simulate an normal down so a lot gets left out.

Thats why typically 5* linemen are just those physically gifted enough to step into a college weightroom and fit in day 1. There are plenty of guys with great technique but room to grow that eventually outshine the 5*s. Thats why a lot NFL lines have at least one 2/3* guy like Roger Saffold on them.

A 1042 ranking is indicative of a mediocre power 5 player yes. If they evaluate him and bump him, then I'm all for it. But the ranking AND more importantly the offer list is pretty underwhelming. From the looks of it - this isn't the kind of player that is gonna get us where we hope to be any time soon.

The people who blindly boom every commit baffle me. Why even follow recruiting if you're just gonna jizz yourself no matter who commits?
You blindly place your faith in guys who miss a LOT of really good players. I don't know how this guy will work out. But the staff took a good, long look at him and chose to offer him. Now you want to believe that he can only be good if "they evaluate him and bump him". He's either good or he isn't.

Last edited:
You blindly place your faith in guys who miss a LOT of really good players. I don't know how this guy will work out. But the staff took a good, long look at him and chose to offer him. Now you want to believe that he can only be good if "they evaluate him and bump him". He's either good or he isn't.

Would you rather land a commitment from a top 100 player in the country with an impressive offer list, or a top 1100 kid in the country who’s only other recent offers have been Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Marshall, and Utah State?

I’ll hang up and listen.

Would you rather land a commitment from a top 100 player in the country with an impressive offer list, or a top 1100 kid in the country who’s only other recent offers have been Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Marshall, and Utah State?

I’ll hang up and listen.

You do realize most of these rankings are subjective and a lot of these kids haven’t been properly ranked due to COVID?

By that logic, the NFL should be filled with 4 & 5* players even though the NFL is made up of mostly 2 & 3* players?

Why is that though? If you can play, the NFL will find you no matter what your star ranking was coming out of high school.

I’ll hang up and listen.
No. I'd rather land a commit from one of the DOZENS of 2/3* recruits that end up being drafted by the time they're done compared to several 5* OL's we've seen lately who can't block anyone. You place blind trust in the recruiting sites in spite of LOADS of proof that they miss A LOT of guys who eventually become great college and pro linemen.

I don't mind UT's coaches finding guys who've been overlooked. Our jobs don't depend on them finding good players. That would seem to be pretty good motivation not to waste scholarships on guys who have no talent... which is what you suggest they're doing. In fact, I have long said that the guy who succeeds at UT will make a habit of finding underrated players. I think we all understand where UT stands when going after the higher ranked guys.

I’ll hang up and listen.
We need good evaluators of talent instead of top 100 guys that give us the warm fuzzies bc of their ranking…. If they can’t evaluate talent then it will be like a lot coaches taking overrated 4-5* to impress their fan base…. When we start winning enough games then the star ranking will start to match our coaches evaluations.

No. I'd rather land a commit from one of the DOZENS of 2/3* recruits that end up being drafted by the time they're done compared to several 5* OL's we've seen lately who can't block anyone. You place blind trust in the recruiting sites in spite of LOADS of proof that they miss A LOT of guys who eventually become great college and pro linemen.

I don't mind UT's coaches finding guys who've been overlooked. Our jobs don't depend on them finding good players. That would seem to be pretty good motivation not to waste scholarships on guys who have no talent... which is what you suggest they're doing. In fact, I have long said that the guy who succeeds at UT will make a habit of finding underrated players. I think we all understand where UT stands when going after the higher ranked guys.

Stopped reading after you lied in your first couple sentences. I’m sure the rest of the drivel was you trying to spin how you love landing kids were beating out MAC schools for as opposed to landing kids other SEC schools are after. We both know you’re FOS, but you do you homie.

VN Store

Back