'24 MI LB Jeremiah Beasley

PSU? The team not in the top 5?

Penn State "top" for four-star LB Jeremiah Beasley following visit (247sports.com)

That said:

VIP: Note on four-star in-stater (247sports.com)

"Sam mentioned in our last recruiting podcast that he wouldn't be surprised if it was actually Michigan and Tennessee at the top for him despite multiple Crystal Ball predictions in favor of Michigan State. While I can't confirm that, I can confirm that Beasley is going to be a bigger priority going forward with Chris Partridge on staff. I am fully expecting the two parties to connect in the very near future and for Michigan to almost assuredly make a major push for the in-state standout."

Is his top 5 still us, Pitt, Michigan, Michigan State, and Kentucky? If so I would think we would beat out those 4. We need help at linebacker.

We kind of addressed that in a big way in the 2023 class. There's Ed Spillman for 2024 more than likely.
Can't forget 2022 with Herring and Perry at ILB.

Not saying I don't want this kid, but we've not been this stacked with young talent at LB for a long time. So I would say "need" is a bit overestimating our situation.

A year ago and you're absolutely right...

We kind of addressed that in a big way in the 2023 class. There's Ed Spillman for 2024 more than likely.

Not saying I don't want this kid, but we've not been this stacked with young talent at LB for a long time. So I would say "need" is a bit overestimating our situation.

When you look at this kid's highlights, does he look better than any of the 3 LBs we signed? Does he look equal to Spillman? This year is interesting because the board still seems completely wide open right now.

When you look at this kid's highlights, does he look better than any of the 3 LBs we signed? Does he look equal to Spillman? This year is interesting because the board still seems completely wide open right now.
1) His junior tape as a LB doesn't seem as good as Smith, Carter, Or Telanders Senior tapes. So stayed tuned for that.

2) He's very similar to Arion Carter athletically- with their natural affinities being reversed. Carter was certainly a better LB than RB on film. This kid is a step or two better at RB than LB right now.

3) Spillman put up pretty damn good stats playing ILB for the 1st time. Beasley looks more athletic because of his offensive prowess, but I expect a huge jump in year 2 for Spillman at ILB. I'm giving the edge to Ed Spillman there.

Telander would before Smith imo...

Telander played a ton of edge this year on film. And he's a big wide strong kid.
Agree on your assessment of the two, but I think they both stay at LB because of how well they are recruiting the EDGE position. I also believe the staff wants to be able to run some true 4-3 looks. Telander and a guy like Kalib Perry can give you some of that versatility.

We currently project to return 5 LBs from the 2023 season in 2024, two of whom (C. Herring and Perry) we all like but neither of whom were anywhere close to bluechip recruits. Not sure I'd say we're "stacked" with young talent at LB as much as our young talent is better than what we've had. That's a damn low bar and it needs to be raised.

Right now Beasley is the #11 LB in the country according to 247, which is where Arion Carter finished. Spillman is #16. Jalen Smith finished #36 and Telander #53. So Beasley is the highest ranked LB we're in deep with in 2024 and AS highly ranked as anyone on the roster for 2024.

Now, those rankings are obviously not the end all be all. It's not only early and rankings will change a ton in the next 10 months, but it's also just one service's rankings. But if we want to keep building this roster in terms of both talent and depth, I surely hope Heupel doesn't look at that situation and say, eh, we're good. We need guys like Beasley and we need to keep recruiting and landing highly ranked players at every single position.

We currently project to return 5 LBs from the 2023 season in 2024, two of whom (C. Herring and Perry) we all like but neither of whom were anywhere close to bluechip recruits. Not sure I'd say we're "stacked" with young talent at LB as much as our young talent is better than what we've had. That's a damn low bar and it needs to be raised.

Right now Beasley is the #11 LB in the country according to 247, which is where Arion Carter finished. Spillman is #16. Jalen Smith finished #36 and Telander #53. So Beasley is the highest ranked LB we're in deep with in 2024 and AS highly ranked as anyone on the roster for 2024.

Now, those rankings are obviously not the end all be all. It's not only early and rankings will change a ton in the next 10 months, but it's also just one service's rankings. But if we want to keep building this roster in terms of both talent and depth, I surely hope Heupel doesn't look at that situation and say, eh, we're good. We need guys like Beasley and we need to keep recruiting and landing highly ranked players at every single position.

I was responding to the poster insinuating that our LB depth was dire.
Like it was before 2022 season.

not gonna talk about rankings. I've beat that useless argument to death .

I was simply updating him that it was not so dire, anymore.
Never said we shouldn't recruit the kid. And obviously YES we need to keep recruiting.
I made all these points pretty clear.

Neither Smith or Telander would be an edge guy. Too short. Especially Smith is way too small
Agreed that both will be ILB.

However, Elijah Herring did line up outside a few times past year. He's similar size and stature to Telander. Like his brother Caleb hes a natural pass rusher.

Telander is one of our most underrated guys.
Watch the state state Championship against Langston Hughes. He was the best player out there, with 4 stars all over the field. He can thump downhill and his width allows him to create problems for running lanes to develop. He also is adapt at rushing the passer. He's a complete LB.

But are we going to move him to Edge and have him compete with the likes of Josephs, Pearce, Herring, and Bailey?
No. Absolutely not...

Could be bigger players for Sammy brown than people are giving us credit for. He’s been here a bunch.

Yeah when I posted that I had no idea how good of a DB class we have coming in.

VN Store

Back