Mental Toughness: A Special Team

creekdipper

To paraphrase the great Yogi, "90% of [basketball] is mental, and the other half is physical."

The mental toughness of this team is off the charts. Kellie and her staff obviously chose to bring in competitive players of high character and brought in upper-class leaders through the portal. All kudos to the coaches for developing these players, but the coaches would be the first to say that success begins with having coachable players who buy in. They have that in spades with this team!

Some of the top areas of mental improvement:

1. Each player knows her role and how fulfilling that role aids the team.

2. When mistakes happen, players move on to the next play. That's what superior athletes do.

3. The team focuses on the opponent immediately in front of them rather than games down the road.

4. The players respond to in-game adjustments and adapt accordingly.

5. The team knows when to be serious and when to have fun.

6. The team digs deep when facing adversity, whether poor officiating, injuries and illnesses, slumps, cancellations, or other distractions.

7. The team excels in the classroom. They're learners.

8. The players are unselfish and constantly encourage their teammates.

9. The players continue to concentrate on improving each day and being the best version of the team they can be.

10. The players follow the staff's game plan.

11. The players don't let the success go to their heads. They continue to work hard and stay hungry.

12. Different players step up in different games and answer the challenge. This team is no one-trick pony.

13. The players embrace the Lady Vol legacy and love playing for Tennessee.

14. The team keeps their eyes on the prize...a national championship.

Love this team. So proud of this team.

Last edited:
To paraphrase the great Yogi, "90% of [basketball] is mental, and the other half is physical."

The mental toughness of this team is off the charts. Kellie and her staff obviously chose to bring in competitive players of high character and brought in upper-class leaders through the portal. All kudos to the coaches for developing these players, but the coaches would be the first to say that success begins with having coachable players who buy in. They have that in spades with this team!

2. When mistakes happen, players move on to the next play. That's what superior athletes do.

3. The team focuses on the opponent immediately in front of them rather than games down the road.

6. The team digs deep when facing adversity, whether poor officiating, injuries and illnesses, slumps, cancellations, or other distractions.

9. The players continue to concentrate on improving each day and being the best version of the team they can be.

11. The players don't let the success go to their heads. They continue to work hard and stay hungry.

12. Different players step up in different games and answer the challenge. This team is no one-trick pony.

GREAT analysis! Could not be summarized better!

Signed, the Director of Promotion for Tennessee Women's basketball.

With due respect, you laid it on pretty thick here.....I think the only points that you left out were that the players love kittens, call their Moms every day and read to the elderly on weekends.

15. The players love kittens.

15. The players love kittens

16. The players each call their moms every day.

17. The team read to the elderly every weekend.

Let's go!!! Lady Vols 4Ever!

With all due respect, you did not lay it on thick enough!!!

16.They do not just love kittens, they work on their agility by rescuing kittens from trees.

17. They do not just call their moms everyday, they compose daily detailed letters to their mothers, using their finest calligraphy skills, and have them hand delivered by George Clooney (I must admit the dads could do with a regular postal worker).

18. They serve as personal fitness coaches to the elderly and train them to where they can complete the Ironman.

19. Angels say, yeah we're pretty good but have you seen the Lady Vols?.

Last edited:
With all due respect, you did not lay it on thick enough!!!

16.They do not just love kittens, they work on their agility by rescuing kittens from trees.

17. They do not just call their moms everyday, they compose daily detailed letters to their mothers, using their finest calligraphy skills, and have them hand delivered by George Clooney (I must admit the dads could do with a regular postal worker).

18. They serve as personal fitness coaches to the elderly and train them to where they can complete the Ironman.

19. Angels say, yeah we're pretty good but have you seen the Lady Vols?.

Wow, it was not typed in blue font so I believed it. 😂😂😂

I shared this in the Keyen thread but i am going to do it here also. This team is mentally tough and keyen would be one of the first people to tell the ladies to get back up we have a job to do!

One aspect that allows this team to be special are the coaches! Look at the love the coaches and players have for each other.

I know the title of this thread was changed but the original one still fits! This team is SPECIAL🧡

To my Lady Vols Team: Adversity is the door we have to walk through to enter the Halls of Greatness, Thank God you all have a KEY that can unlock the doors that are seemingly impossible to open. To Ms. Green, you are not alone, you are needed more than ever, and sometimes our personal pain can often be the key that unlock God's greater purpose for the course of our lives. My prayers to you all. WE ARE NOT DONE YET. GO LADY VOLS:):):):):)

Lace em up tight and continue to kick ass...
https%3A%2F%2Fallfortennessee.com%2Ffiles%2F2021%2F09%2FDJ0856-800-PHCFH001-2000.jpg

Remember how Notre Dame stepped up a few years back after losing key starters? We can do that, too.

I maintain that was one of the best coaching jobs ever. She had 5 really talented players, but they had no backup. What they accomplished blew up the narrative of teams being allowed to struggle because players were lost to injury.

The role players on that team made a huge impact as well.

I shared this in the Keyen thread but i am going to do it here also. This team is mentally tough and keyen would be one of the first people to tell the ladies to get back up we have a job to do!

One aspect that allows this team to be special are the coaches! Look at the love the coaches and players have for each other.

I know the title of this thread was changed but the original one still fits! This team is SPECIAL🧡

Love this! Heartbroken for Keyen! I love how her sister leaves and Kelly are there to pick her up! Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Just when I'm close to believing, she pulls such a Holly-esque loss. Easily her worst at Tennessee...
It is, but she still has the success from the first half of the season. Obviously a terrible loss, but if they rebound and win the games they need to (even with losses to SC and UConn), then they are still a solid #2 seed in the NCAAT.

VN Store

Back