Memphis wins NIT tournament

Like all of you, I'm thanking the Good Lord we didn't play them this year. We'd have gotten tooled like last year. Memphis has always been a basketball school but has now surpassed us in football. It was just announced a couple of weeks ago they will be designated an R1 Research University.

What's next...

Like all of you, I'm thanking the Good Lord we didn't play them this year. We'd have gotten tooled like last year. Memphis has always been a basketball school but has now surpassed us in football. It was just announced a couple of weeks ago they will be designated an R1 Research University.

What's next...
A200BCE4-7479-4640-866D-33C335489ADF.gif

Tennessee was humiliated while Memphis has a trophy
Who cares. It's a trophy for 69th place...nice. If we're talking football, that's like saying you'd rather go 6-6 and win the Weedeater Bowl than go 10-2 and blown out in the SECCG.

I'd rather be humiliated in the tournament than win the NIT. And that's not to hate on the NIT. NIT hating is kind of like hating on the bowl games 6-6 teams go to. It's more basketball, and if you don't like it, don't watch. It doesn't "devalue" the other games.

Who cares. It's a trophy for 69th place...nice. If we're talking football, that's like saying you'd rather go 6-6 and win the Weedeater Bowl than go 10-2 and blown out in the SECCG.

I'd rather be humiliated in the tournament than win the NIT. And that's not to hate on the NIT. NIT hating is kind of like hating on the bowl games 6-6 teams go to. It's more basketball, and if you don't like it, don't watch. It doesn't "devalue" the other games.

Exactly, which is why I asked would he rather win the Citrus Bowl than lose badly in the Peach Bowl in the CFP Semi-finals.

I would rather lose 50-0 in the CFP Semi-finals than win 50-0 in the Citrus Bowl; and I'd rather lose by 60 in the first round of the NCAAT, heck the First Four than win the NIT.

Boogie Ellis and DJ Jeffries went into the portal today.
Boogie not get the kind of playing time he wanted? Jeffries good defender but struggled a bit offensively? Their prospects not looking good go forward?

Boogie not get the kind of playing time he wanted? Jeffries good defender but struggled a bit offensively? Their prospects not looking good go forward?

Boogie had a string of games during the season where he got less than 20 minutes/game. He played more the last 3 weeks after Lomax got hurt. Scored 27 against Houston and another 23 against Mississippi State.

I can’t say I watched much of them, but I think Jeffries just couldn’t find his role after Penny brought Cisse, Williams, and Nolley in. Jeffries has talent and could be good as a transfer.

Yea, they’ve gotten better and Ellis played well after Lomax got hurt. But both are probably disappointed they aren’t closer to being pros.

Jeffries regressed from last year and Ellis is at best a nominal starter on a NIT team. Not the trajectory you want if you are a Top 25-40 type player.

Jeffries regressed from last year and Ellis is at best a nominal starter on a NIT team. Not the trajectory you want if you are a Top 25-40 type player.

I get the feeling Ellis was all about confidence. Memphis’ offense was bad, so you get him in a better offense, and he would probably be fine.

Jeffries’ numbers were about the same, and last season was cut short with his knee injury. The transfer and freshman additions changed his game. He shot 39% and 35% from 3 as a 6’7” stretch 4 in a bad offense. I think he could be a very productive player for another program.

I get the feeling Ellis was all about confidence. Memphis’ offense was bad, so you get him in a better offense, and he would probably be fine.

Jeffries’ numbers were about the same, and last season was cut short with his knee injury. The transfer and freshman additions changed his game. He shot 39% and 35% from 3 as a 6’7” stretch 4 in a bad offense. I think he could be a very productive player for another program.

Both could be good players for other programs where they receive actual coaching. Same thing goes for Baugh and Cisse, if they enter the portal too.

Right now, Penny has more NCAA investigations than NCAA tourney appearances.

Im not gonna be like Gary Parrish and do the mental gymnastics to camouflage the fact that Penny has been a failure as a HC.

Both could be good players for other programs where they receive actual coaching. Same thing goes for Baugh and Cisse, if they enter the portal too.

Right now, Penny has more NCAA investigations than NCAA tourney appearances

Yea, it’s a mixed bag. He did well for Precious Achiewa. Deandre Williams ended up being a great transfer coming from Evansville. Penny has actually done well with transfers. Their defense was excellent, but offense was putrid. It will be interesting to see the rosters for the Memphis-UT game next season. I hope Kennedy Chandler goes off.

VN Store

Back