Memphis wins NIT tournament

The bowl season meant something. The playoffs have ruined the bowl games.
Outside of the BCS championship game, the bowls were the same as they are now. Only 1 game really matters. I just enjoy watching the games whether it's a Rose Bowl in the BCS or playoff game.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Nick Saban ruined college football all together.

Everybody else is playing for 2nd place.
It’s just one of those things that has happened in just about every sport. The Celtics, UCLA, the Yankees, the Pats to a lesser extent. I think right now we’re just in that funk with College football. And our biggest rival happens to be the best team during its era. I have a feeling it will change in the near future, just not the soon enough future.

They still call midget wrestling midget wrestling.
The Little People of America (LPA) have criticized midget wrestling as reinforcing stereotypes that little people are no more than entertainment. The LPA also frowns on the use of the word midget in the name of the sport—claiming that it is as offensive as a racial slur.

The bowl season meant something. The playoffs have ruined the bowl games.

The Peach Bowl means more than it ever did before the playoffs, same for the Cotton Bowl. The Citrus Bowl means the exact same thing it did 25 years ago.

Under no system would anyone give a damn about the Texas Bowl, and you can add a good 15 other bowls. If anything "ruined" bowls, it's adding so many so that making one means almost nothing. That has nothing to do with the playoffs or BCS or anything else.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Tennessee was humiliated while Memphis has a trophy
Tennessee was not humiliated. We lost to a team that is in the Elite 8. Would have rather won but we were not humiliated.
So you would rather be #69 and win a tournament that no one watched then have a chance in the big dance.

Reactions: Vol4life2
I generally like the NIT. I’m a fan of college basketball and there are sometimes some good games there. But it’s pretty laughable to trade an NIT title with an NCAA appearance.

Winning the NIT doesn’t necessarily mean anything in terms of future success. They played pretty well and are a decent team. Probably on par or better than some other at large NCAA teams. So just as you would look at any team have to see who they return and who they add. They will be better next year just in terms of talent and experience alone. So they ought to be a tournament team at the very least. They could end up being very good

Reactions: MemphisVol77
The Little People of America (LPA) have criticized midget wrestling as reinforcing stereotypes that little people are no more than entertainment. The LPA also frowns on the use of the word midget in the name of the sport—claiming that it is as offensive as a racial slur.
I prefer Lilliputian or half pint.

Reactions: Border Vol
I generally like the NIT. I’m a fan of college basketball and there are sometimes some good games there. But it’s pretty laughable to trade an NIT title with an NCAA appearance.

Winning the NIT doesn’t necessarily mean anything in terms of future success. They played pretty well and are a decent team. Probably on par or better than some other at large NCAA teams. So just as you would look at any team have to see who they return and who they add. They will be better next year just in terms of talent and experience alone. So they ought to be a tournament team at the very least. They could end up being very good
South Carolina in the past won two NIT Tournaments in a row and you see how little it did for their men's basketball program.

It’s just one of those things that has happened in just about every sport. The Celtics, UCLA, the Yankees, the Pats to a lesser extent. I think right now we’re just in that funk with College football. And our biggest rival happens to be the best team during its era. I have a feeling it will change in the near future, just not the soon enough future.
"There's no parity anymore" comes from a distorted view of history anyway. College football has never had much parity, and at any given time the sport is dominated by 3-5 schools.

He didn't reach the top as often as Saban did, but Bobby Bowden finished in the top 5 every single year between 1987 and 2000 at FSU. Not even Saban has approached something like that - he's had 5 finishes outside the top 5 at Alabama. However, he's also won the whole thing 6 times.

"There's no parity anymore" comes from a distorted view of history anyway. College football has never had much parity, and at any given time the sport is dominated by 3-5 schools.

He didn't reach the top as often as Saban did, but Bobby Bowden finished in the top 5 every single year between 1987 and 2000 at FSU. Not even Saban has approached something like that - he's had 5 finishes outside the top 5 at Alabama. However, he's also won the whole thing 6 times.
It's better than it was in the late 1960s-mid 1970s when it was just UCLA.

Reactions: 05_never_again

As you suggested, you have to wait and see if they have some additions/subtractions. Local media thinks that they probably lose a couple of solid contributors. Penny does seem to have a good eye for transfers, but it isn't a lock that this same team is returning.

As you suggested, you have to wait and see if they have some additions/subtractions. Local media thinks that they probably lose a couple of solid contributors. Penny does seem to have a good eye for transfers, but it isn't a lock that this same team is returning.
Interesting. Who would leave? They’re all underclassmen

Reactions: Border Vol

VN Store

Back