Memphis vs. Perfect '76 Hoosiers

Yeah, but they beat Arkansas in the regular season. Duke beat that same Arkansas crew in the 1990 National Semifinals. The whole of Day, Mayberry, Miller, et al was never really as good as the sum of the parts.

Yeah, but they beat Arkansas in the regular season. Duke beat that same Arkansas crew in the 1990 National Semifinals. The whole of Day, Mayberry, Miller, et al was never really as good as the sum of the parts.
probably true, because Day was such a selfish type. Talented as all hell, but very selfish. In fact, he lost them the ballgame against Duke in the final four.

The 1996 Kentucky team would beat anyone in college basketball this season by 25 points.

QFT.

That was a loaded roster.

Antoine Walker, Walter McCarty, Tony Delk, Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Mills, Sheppard, Epps...I think Mohammed and Turner were on that team too.

An all-time great college team.

What about Phi Slamma Jamma and last year's Florida team?
Phi Slamma Jamma? Who'd they beat in the title game?

Last year's UF team probably falls right in behind those other 3. They just didn't have that guy that takes over when necessary. Their greatness was in teamwork and very diverse offense. UNLV, Duke and KY all knew who the horse was at "gotta have a bucket" time.

There are plenty of great teams that don't win the title, i.e. '91 UNLV, '85 Georgetown, etc.
But when you have Clyde "The Glide" and Hakeem "The Dream", thats tough.

There are plenty of great teams that don't win the title, i.e. '91 UNLV, '85 Georgetown, etc.
But when you have Clyde "The Glide" and Hakeem "The Dream", thats tough.
The NC State squad that handed them their hats was the weakest NC of my lifetime.

QFT.

That was a loaded roster.

Antoine Walker, Walter McCarty, Tony Delk, Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Mills, Sheppard, Epps...I think Mohammed and Turner were on that team too.

An all-time great college team.

I don't think you'll ever see a college roster THAT loaded again, and therefore a team as dominant as '96 UK (or '92 Duke, or early 90's UNLV, etc.) ever again. Too many teams can recruit effectively now, and many quality 3 and 4-star type players would rather start for a mid-major or even a mid-tier major conference team than ride the bench for UK, Duke, UNC, or UCLA behind the 5-stars.

i would take that ku squad all day long over valvano's crew. manning was that much of a diff maker.

VN Store

Back