memphis music and restaurants

They were struggling real big 2016-2019. Kelly English (Restaurant Iris) purchased them about 18 months ago. I haven't been there since so I don't know how it is since Kelly purchased it.
thanks. We started going there in 1995. Prior to COVID, we would pick up sandwiches and tortes to carry back to alabammur. Wife even know the mother of the guy that was managing before mask time arrived. Our son went to rhodes for a summer program and graduated from there in 2000.

thanks. We started going there in 1995. Prior to COVID, we would pick up sandwiches and tortes to carry back to alabammur. Wife even know the mother of the guy that was managing before mask time arrived. Our son went to rhodes for a summer program and graduated from there in 2000.

Non BBQ:

Wife loves Southern Social. Its right across the street from the Commissary in Germantown. Its pricey though. Soul Fish is good too. (Thats more reasonably priced).

Downside about living in Lakeland. Restaurants are lacking out here. Bartlett or Arlington have limited options and the Wolfchase area is chain hell. You get entirely different level of service south of Hwy 64.

I thought I saw they sold.

I do wanna try Finos now but Kelly has spread himself pretty thin recently. Restaurant Iris used to be really good but the last couple of times I went, it was just OK. I'd rather go to his place next door (2nd Line) and spend half the amount. I think Iris is moving out to East Memphis.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I do wanna try Finos now but Kelly has spread himself pretty thin recently. Restaurant Iris used to be really good but the last couple of times I went, it was just OK. I'd rather go to his place next door (2nd Line) and spend half the amount. I think Iris is moving out to East Memphis.
ive been away too long -- can't even remember iris or 2nd line

Non BBQ:

Wife loves Southern Social. Its right across the street from the Commissary in Germantown. Its pricey though. Soul Fish is good too. (Thats more reasonably priced).

Downside about living in Lakeland. Restaurants are lacking out here. Bartlett or Arlington have limited options and the Wolfchase area is chain hell. You get entirely different level of service south of Hwy 64.

rarely ever get to gemantown past few years since our memphis stops are usually for o night to break our trips to STL, a restaurant heaven if. you like Italian. Wolfchase too much like areas outside Bham city limits.

Other Memphis area BBQ thoughts:

Good value choices
Three Little Pigs - Similar to Tops, Good, moderarely prices BBQ
Leonards - Good, reasonably priced. Similar to Tops
Elwood's Shack (Good BBQ, other menu items are better IMO)

Inconsistent but very good (at times)
A&R
Baby Jacks
Fat Larrys (service issues)
Bozos (Mason, if Im going to Mason, Im going to the Original Gus's)

Just better places in town IMO
Toms's - Guy Fieri likes it. I don't
Jerry Lawler's - He's much better at wrestling than BBQ
Blues City - Best of the BBQ on Beale. Just better places in town.
The Pig on Beale - If Im eating BBQ on Beale, its Blues City
Bozos is the only name I recognize (do know of Lawler, just not the restaurant). We haven't been to Beale Street in years and seem to frequent Midtown places and many on Poplar. When we started visiting Memphis, we stayed at a Hampton Inn that is in. Central HS area. Wife is addicted to Huey's on Poplar and we frequently are in one of the Poplar inns.

We'll take advantages of your list. Very much appreciated

noticted that minglewood music hall was reopening.
website listed trippie redd and lucero as among the last acts to perform there before the maskerade era began

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

I was shaking my head the entire time as I went down the list. Personally, I like to recommend places based off of what someone wants to eat and which places do that well. As a Memphis native (now residing in Dallas) I consider myself a bit of a BBQ snob but here are my two cents.

General Comments:
- Corky's was the cream of the crop until ~10-12 years ago. I think it got too big and commercialized and has been downhill ever since.
- Rendezvous is a tourist trap.
- Payne's sausage is better than its BBQ sandwich.
- A&R is very inconsistent. When its good, its really good. When its bad, you will think to yourself that you will never eat there again.
- Tops is a fast food style of BBQ, similar to Dickey's in Dallas. Just as you don't go to McDonalds for a good burger, you go to Tops because its fast and convenient. They actually have pretty solid hamburgers.
- Memphis BBQ Company has gotten a lot of attention lately so I went there for the first time when I traveled back to Memphis a couple months ago. The ribs had a great taste but were a little dry. Everything else was absolutely terrible. Maybe I went on a bad day but we left about $30 of barely touched food on the table and got something to eat afterwards.
- Avoid BBQ on Beale. Beale is a street of bars with bar food. You dont eat there for good food, you eat there because you have to if you cant stand up straight.

My Go-To Places:
1. BBQ Shop - I am biased here since my best friend is the owner but this is the place to go if you want great ribs (I recommend dry rub), BBQ spaghetti, and amazing BBQ beans.
2. Cozy Corner - Good all around food from meats to sides to desserts. There is no single amazing thing but everything is solid.
3. Toms Barbeque - For some good spare ribs and bologna. Rib tips are hit or miss.
4. One & Only BBQ - For smoked chicken, wings, and turkey, and ribs. The nachos are also solid.
5. Central BBQ - Personally I think this is the most overrated BBQ place in Memphis. However, they have the best BBQ nachos, which baffles me because their pork alone is below average, but it just comes together very well. It is a great place to go if you want to sit on a patio with a group of family or friends on a nice day and have some BBQ nachos.

I was shaking my head the entire time as I went down the list. Personally, I like to recommend places based off of what someone wants to eat and which places do that well. As a Memphis native (now residing in Dallas) I consider myself a bit of a BBQ snob but here are my two cents.

General Comments:
- Corky's was the cream of the crop until ~10-12 years ago. I think it got too big and commercialized and has been downhill ever since. (Agree, the Poplar location is still good. The franchised ones aren't)
- Rendezvous is a tourist trap. (Agree, but when they are good, they are still good. But WAY too inconsistent. Do like the free red beans/sausage on Friday lunch though)
- Payne's sausage is better than its BBQ sandwich. (Noted, will try next time)
- A&R is very inconsistent. When its good, its really good. When its bad, you will think to yourself that you will never eat there again. (We both agree here)
- Tops is a fast food style of BBQ, similar to Dickey's in Dallas. Just as you don't go to McDonalds for a good burger, you go to Tops because its fast and convenient. They actually have pretty solid hamburgers. (Agree. Tops is good BBQ at a decent price. Personally, I'd spend more to go to other places but you can get a lot of food for $25 here)
- Memphis BBQ Company has gotten a lot of attention lately so I went there for the first time when I traveled back to Memphis a couple months ago. The ribs had a great taste but were a little dry. Everything else was absolutely terrible. Maybe I went on a bad day but we left about $30 of barely touched food on the table and got something to eat afterwards. (The ribs the last two times here have been super good. They aren't a well-run restaurant though. Sides sometimes are cold, no atmosphere etc.)
- Avoid BBQ on Beale. Beale is a street of bars with bar food. You dont eat there for good food, you eat there because you have to if you cant stand up straight. (Agree 100% here. Blues City is OK but in general, I agree)

My Go-To Places:
1. BBQ Shop - I am biased here since my best friend is the owner but this is the place to go if you want great ribs (I recommend dry rub), BBQ spaghetti, and amazing BBQ beans. (Yeah, in my top tier here)
2. Cozy Corner - Good all around food from meats to sides to desserts. There is no single amazing thing but everything is solid. (Very good place, it's always in Top 5)
3. Toms Barbeque - For some good spare ribs and bologna. Rib tips are hit or miss. (I went there once and had the rib tips. The riblets at Applebees are better. I haven't been back)
4. One & Only BBQ - For smoked chicken, wings, and turkey, and ribs. The nachos are also solid. (Agree, if you are ranking East Memphis location. The other ones are a notch lower)
5. Central BBQ - Personally I think this is the most overrated BBQ place in Memphis. However, they have the best BBQ nachos, which baffles me because their pork alone is below average, but it just comes together very well. It is a great place to go if you want to sit on a patio with a group of family or friends on a nice day and have some BBQ nachos. (I've never had a bad meal at Central. They are the most consistent in town but I don't think they are the best at any one thing.)

Comments in Orange. A lot of agreeing (except for Toms, WTF)

Rendevous is too inconsistent to be this high. I think its a good place to bring visitors since atmosphere is cool but just too inconsistent for my liking.

Which Corky's? The East Memphis one on Poplar is good. All the others, not as much

Which One & Only : East Memphis one is good. Cordova one, not nearly as good.

I'd include Memphis BBQ company in Southaven as well. The food is as good as any of the other places but the atmosphere is a little lacking and not the most well run restaurant.

My Top 10

1. Central (Note, the East Memphis one isn't as good as the others)
2. BBQ Shop
3. Commissary (Germantown location is better, Collierville one is more spacious)

Gap

4. Memphis BBQ
5. Paynes
6. One and Only (East Memphis one only)
7. Cozy Corner
8. Corkys (East Memphis Poplar only)

Gap
9. Rendevous
10. Interstate
11. Tops (Tops is very reasonably priced so if factoring in value, this would be way higher but BBQ isnt quite as good)
Good list, though I'd have Paynes in that top tier. Saw from a later comment you're in Lakeland, just moved out here last month after getting married

Memphis BBQ > Carolina BBQ > Texas BBQ > KC BBQ > Alabama BBQ
I agree with this and I’m from Central North Carolina. My wife from Shelby County converted me. One thing is for sure, Memphis people don’t play when it comes to their BBQ. I was in college and visiting a buddy of mine in Memphis The first time I met his dad, it wasn’t “hi nice to meet you” it was “you’re the guy from NC? You eat that vinegar based bull$hit don’t you?” Haha.
Memphis people are on another level.

Agree on Paynes needing to be moved up. Lakeland is boring as heck

Payne's sandwich def is in top tier. Just not as high on their ribs. That's why I had them Top 5 instead of in the Top 3 tier. I just think those in my Top 3 are just more consistent throughout the menu.

No arguments that Lakeland is boring but in the Memphis area, boring might not be a bad thing....

planning to leave thursday for stl and make nly pit stops.
any point in trying to cross the mississipip or some trick to avoid the trafific mess?
too the jackson roue in january, but it didnt save any time
i'll be leave from north tuskaloser county

Haven't meant to neglect this thread. Son is 4-year veteran of Memphis living and puts Central and BBQ Shop at of list

Central would definitely be 1st for me, but I remember when it was the scrappy underdog that only locals knew about. Had to go to midtown to get it, but it was worth it for the Nachos.
I grew up walking distance from Corky's on Poplar, and it would be my #2.
Commissary is #3, though I only had it maybe twice because it was such a PITA to get into.
BBQ shop and Elwood would be my honorable mentions. Lived in Midtown for a while before moving out of Memphis and BBQ Shop was really good. Elwood, I was back in Memphis 2 years ago and went to Elwoods, and it was good.
I know Top's is a chain, but I remember going there as a kid (on Quince i believe) like one would McDonalds... so i have to give it a mention.

I had family that lived off of Suggs Drive. Always enjoyed grabbing Corky’s around the corner while over at their house.
Rode my bike down Suggs many times as a kid, though the parts further from Poplar went from nice houses to HOLY CRAP houses sometime around the 90s. We would also sometimes walk up to Bennigan's that I think now is Newk's for dinner sometimes. During the summer, our favorite thing to do was soap in the Fogelman Building's (is it still called this?) fountain.

VN Store

Back