Memphis game....how's it lookin

Volsfan895

Formerly Bobby Light
How is the Memphis game looking like?......i think we looked good in the Marshall game and it seems we'll play good against Memphis

One thing I've learned over the years is never take Memphis for granted. They usually play their best game against us. That being said though I think we should take care of business. I see the score being something like 35-21 or 28-10. They will play us very tough early.

I hope Foster's ankle is better so he can get out their and find his groove. We will need a hard nose runner like him against them Dawgs.

GO VOLS:rock:

Memphis got beat in their first game to Ole Miss who has only gone on to beat defeated in their last 3 games by 96-28:eek:hmy:

Memphis got beat in their first game to Ole Miss who has only gone on to beat defeated in their last 3 games by 96-28:eek:hmy:

Don't let that dictate too much. Ole Miss and Memphis hate each other, maybe more than Memphis hates UT. It's a pretty heated rivalry.

All I needed to do was read the first 4 paragraphs of their recap from the last game:

GREENVILLE, N.C. (AP) -Defensive end Zach Slate returned an interception seven yards for the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter of East Carolina's 35-20 victory over Memphis on Saturday night.

Chris Johnson rushed for 106 yards and two touchdowns to help the Pirates (1-2, 1-1 Conference USA) shake off a slow start, rally from a 13-point second-half deficit and snap a three-game losing streak against Memphis.
Martin Hankins threw three touchdown passes in the first half for the Tigers (1-2, 0-1), but it was the third of his five interceptions that made the difference.
His pass to the right sideline was deflected by Slate at the 7, and the backup defensive lineman grabbed it out of the air and lumbered into the end zone to make it 21-20.

We did not really look that good against marshall.
Turned out the UT game was blacked-out in south FLA for PPV so I did not get to see it. Looking at the box score that may have been for the best. Taking a 9 point lead into the 4th quarter against that level of competition (and I'm only talking about your team now Marshall folks, I know you've had great teams in recent history) does not relieve my uncertainty about what to expect in Athens. Hopefully, Richt did not settle on Joe Cox last night and UGA will still be trying to find itself on offense when the Vols visit.

I have no idea how the Memphis game will come off. I agree with everyone who thinks that Memphis will be treating this like a BCS championship game. They know we still moan about '96 and I'm sure that will inspire them to play a little out of their heads. I do think Memphis is down from last year but they did get a week off so I am sure they will be well prepared. I also wonder if UT has sufficient research material to prepare for whatever schemes Tommy West tries to work into the Tiger defense. I am assuming that if West wanted to continue with Joe Lee Dunn's defensive strategy he would not have fired Dunn. IMHO UT will beat Memphis but it will be closer than most of us would prefer and there will still be some serious questions heading into the 5-game stretch against UGA, Bama, S.Car., LSU and Arky.

As long as Memphis wears down like Marshall, then yeah... it's looking pretty good.

Memphis would have had a much better chance by retaining Dunn. That 3-4 that they run is SOOOO much different from the defenses that other teams run. Since that is the personell they have, I guess they'll probably still run the 3-4, but no one knows that scheme better than JLD. Looking at that ECU article, it looks to me like HANKINS was their problem, not the defense. :wacko:

Memphis would have had a much better chance by retaining Dunn. That 3-4 that they run is SOOOO much different from the defenses that other teams run. Since that is the personell they have, I guess they'll probably still run the 3-4, but no one knows that scheme better than JLD. Looking at that ECU article, it looks to me like HANKINS was their problem, not the defense. :wacko:

Man that 3 - 4 defense sucked for Memphis. Memphis strong points on offende is its receivers. Heffney, Morley, Wade, Stewart will have career days this Saturday !

We did not really look that good against marshall.

I'll second that. Marshall had a few long drives on our defense, some of which ended deep in Tennessee territory with a turnover. Our D was on the field way too long. Our running game wasn't impressive until the fourth quarter. They still have a lot to prove next Saturday at Memphis... and moreso at Georgia the next Saturday.

I am still reserved on our running game. I like Lamarcus Coker because he is a more traditonal UT runningback, breaking long runs, turning on the speed and not getting caught. Our defensive front will be better with a rotation like they did toward the end of the game. I seen Demonte Bolden play like he had a spark up his rear, so maybe juggling some defensive linemen in and out will create bette play in the interior.

VN Store

Back