Memphis Football has us SKEERED?

I say it because I consider it to be true. Does Bama give a home and home to UAB? Has UF given even some pretty good programs like USF a home and home? App St may be the best program in NC and you won't see UNC giving them a home and home.

You give home and home series to programs you consider your equal. There's also the financial side of it. What is UT's split for the game in Memphis and if there isn't one... why go rather than picking up another home game?

How can you "start" treating them like an equal when UT has always treated them like an equal, by your definition?

You arguement would make more sense if you said UT should "STOP" treating Memphis as an equal.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and Behr
It’s like the “Penny” thread all over again. Make it stop. I never should’ve clicked on it .

And yes BYU has far more historical relevance than Memphis does. And it’s not close . It’s one thing to talk basketball, but quite another when you come over to the football side of things. Stirring up the Memphis Mafia hornets nest again. Good Grief.

BYU's historical relevance? Please elaborate.

That 1984 BYU team was special wasn't it? We're lucky they'd consider us for a home and home.

Their opponents combined record was 60-93-3. They played four games against teams that finished the year with winning records, the best being 7-4.

Florida was the consensus #1 but was on probation.

That 1984 BYU team was special wasn't it? We're lucky they'd consider us for a home and home.

Their opponents combined record was 60-93-3. They played four games against teams that finished the year with winning records, the best being 7-4.

Florida was the consensus #1 but was on probation.

Well it’s been 35 years and the banner still stands, unlike some other school’s accomplishments which were removed. So I’d consider that a win.

How can you "start" treating them like an equal when UT has always treated them like an equal, by your definition?

You arguement would make more sense if you said UT should "STOP" treating Memphis as an equal.
When Memphis threw a fit and back out of playing football, they no longer wanted to be considered an equal.

If Vandy and Ky are are little brothers, then Memphis is our little sister. You know a little sissy.

Reactions: Dumbledorange

I'm not sure why it's so confusing. If I understand it anyone should.

But you see this type of misunderstanding every once in a while. I was involved in one just the other day. I think some people are just so focused and convicted on a certain idea, they just can't see anything else.

I finally got to the point I didn't even care whether he knew I was right or not, I just wanted him to understand WTF I was saying. Lol. Never did. Sometimes you just gotta let it go.

I'm not sure why it's so confusing. If I understand it anyone should.

But you see this type of misunderstanding every once in a while. I was involved in one just the other day. I think some people are just so focused and convicted on a certain idea, they just can't see anything else.

I finally got to the point I didn't even care whether he knew I was right or not, I just wanted him to understand WTF I was saying. Lol. Never did. Sometimes you just gotta let it go.

I don't understand what you mean.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
Well it’s been 35 years and the banner still stands, unlike some other school’s accomplishments which were removed. So I’d consider that a win.

I wouldn't.

I'd consider it a flawed system. Us Vols fans can't use the "but they don't play nobody" argument only when it favors our argument. Just trying to keep it honest.

Why would we subject our fans to a trip to the Liberty Bowl at any time. What a dump!

Nothing to gain and everything to lose with a football series with Tiger High. Basketball is a coin flip.

UTK is helping Chattanooga, TN Tech, ETSU and UT Martin when we schedule games with them. MTSU and Memphis State should be self sufficient by now. Time to knock 'em off the teat.

I wouldn't.

I'd consider it a flawed system. Us Vols fans can't use the "but they don't play nobody" argument only when it favors our argument. Just trying to keep it honest.

I agree college football is a flawed system in a lot of ways and in a lot of ways archaic. It basically took an act of Congress to get a 4 team playoff in 2014. How absurd is that? The product on the field is very good with the so much tradition, uniqueness and storylines, but the end result and how we arrive there is completely flawed, but is slowly gaining a better result. It’s all TV $$ driven and it slows down progression to what could make the sport even more dynamic .

Why would we subject our fans to a trip to the Liberty Bowl at any time. What a dump!

Nothing to gain and everything to lose with a football series with Tiger High. Basketball is a coin flip.

UTK is helping Chattanooga, TN Tech, ETSU and UT Martin when we schedule games with them. MTSU and Memphis State should be self sufficient by now. Time to knock 'em off the teat.

Why?

1. Because there are as many Vols fans in West Tennessee than in East Tennessee

2. Because there's something to do in Memphis

3. We need to show we ain't scared

Reactions: FlatLanderVOL
Well said.

Sign up for a home and home series with Memphis before we get our footing and we may never recover. Ever. Except for the time they beat us with Peyton Manning at QB, we've owned them. I'm afraid the tables have turned.
Why would the Vols play in Memphis? A one and done in Neyland makes some sense but to play in Memphis? Nope

Tommy West did not throw the game.

I never heard Deangelo Williams refused to start until this thread. I was at the game and there were prolonged conversations about threats to DW that were to be carried out during the game. Not only that UT planned to try to hurt him but death threats as well, at least that's what the rumors were. I don't know if any of that was true but I do recall everyone feeling uneasy about it. To this day, it doesn't make since why he didn't play.
LMAO

Just now seeing this thread …..

Deangelo Williams received threats of violence, including death threats? Laughable. Don't know who made that up. A wishful Tiger High fan I suppose.

Fact is …. Deangelo Williams bit**ed out, and didn't want to play against the big boys, because he thought it would hurt his draft status if he were to be held in check (which he would have been).

He was riding high while destroying the Tulane's and East Carolina's of the world, but wanted no part of the Vols. That's the truth.

It actually caused a pretty big wedge between him and Tommy West, and the rest of the team for that matter. West publicly admonished him, and "questioned" his self proclaimed injury, that he didn't reveal until after pre-game warmups. It was a pretty big pissing contest down here in Memphis at the time.

Here's a condensed down, local media whitewashing of the incident, but still easy to read between the lines.

Williams - West agree on DeAngelo No Show at Tennessee

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I say it because I consider it to be true. Does Bama give a home and home to UAB? Has UF given even some pretty good programs like USF a home and home? App St may be the best program in NC and you won't see UNC giving them a home and home.

You give home and home series to programs you consider your equal. There's also the financial side of it. What is UT's split for the game in Memphis and if there isn't one... why go rather than picking up another home game?

UNC did give App St a home and home...just sayin.

It's official: App State-UNC to start football series in 2019, with Boone game in 2022

I'd be all for UT setting up a series like UNC did with Appalachian.

I take your point about not treating Memphis as an equal. They aren't and never will be. But getting 2 home games for the price of 1 where the Vols should be the favorites in every game has some appeal. And it's not like they are being treated like a true rival with a long term series.

I think taking over and bathing their stadium in Orange would be a good look for the Vols and would help reestablish the Vols footprint on the western end of the state in recruiting.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I can't remember what year it was, but I remember Memphis whipping a highly ranked Fulmer team.

If Memphis is below us why they ranked way higher and playing in a way better bowl game vs a team that's way better than us?

Sounds like Memphis is ready to get it on. Why are we hesitating? Everyone understands they have been better than us for the past decade almost and probably will be for the next 2 years, but we've got to start establishing ourselves at some point. Not playing an obvious in-state rival looks like we don't have confidence.

Phillip Fulmer open to Tennessee playing in Memphis. Against Memphis? Maybe not.

lol at this post. They haven't been better than us for a decade. They would get taken to the woodshed if they played us today. I doubt they would have split the last ten games at best.

What you're saying is ludicrous.

If Memphis is below us why they ranked way higher and playing in a way better bowl game vs a team that's way better than us?

Their schedule? wtf?

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back