Memphis Football has us SKEERED?

The only benefit is for the Vol fans on the other side of the state to have a chance to attend a game with less expense. The down side is a day in Memphis. I prefer the drive away from that part of the state. The farther the better and Knoxville is far enough away.

The Vols don’t need Memphis. Memphis needs the revenue that playing and losing to the Vols would bring.

The only benefit is for the Vol fans on the other side of the state to have a chance to attend a game with less expense. The down side is a day in Memphis. I prefer the drive away from that part of the state. The farther the better and Knoxville is far enough away.

The Vols don’t need Memphis. Memphis needs the revenue that playing and losing to the Vols would bring.

Ever consider Memphis might be home to a Vol fan?

We already have inroads into West Tennessee/Memphis without having to play those guys. Banks, Carvin, Gray with more kids to come this year. Pruitt has already had good success due to his connections there, not sure how playing them helps us here....cost benefit not in our favor and playing them only helps Tiger High.

There's more to it than helping or hurting. Your strategy would declare that Alabama should never schedule anyone because they aren't as good. I say suit up and play. For God's sake, we play Charlotte.

Ever consider Memphis might be home to a Vol fan?
I know for a fact there’s a bunch of Vol fans in Memphis and they appreciate being able to go to a game on that side of the state. There’s probably just as many if not more Vol fans in Shelby county as there are Memphis fans in the whole world.

Reactions: feathersax
I know for a fact there’s a bunch of Vol fans in Memphis and they appreciate being able to go to a game on that side of the state. There’s probably just as many if not more Vol fans in Shelby county as there are Memphis fans in the whole world.

How do think they feel about you trashing their home?

We already have inroads into West Tennessee/Memphis without having to play those guys. Banks, Carvin, Gray with more kids to come this year. Pruitt has already had good success due to his connections there, not sure how playing them helps us here....cost benefit not in our favor and playing them only helps Tiger High.

That's a ridiculously antiquated argument. The only way we help "Tiger High" is if we fail to beat them 8/10 times, which should not ever happen considering the gulf between Power 5-Group of 6 teams. Memphis already has games scheduled with Ole Miss, Missouri, and Arkansas, so if you think them playing an SEC team is going to elevate them to our level we are already in trouble. The game would be fun and easy travel for a lot of fans of both schools. It's odd that some of our fans cling to this belief that we shouldn't want to be playing every other year in one of the largest cities in our own state.

That's a ridiculously antiquated argument. The only way we help "Tiger High" is if we fail to beat them 8/10 times, which should not ever happen considering the gulf between Power 5-Group of 6 teams. Memphis already has games scheduled with Ole Miss, Missouri, and Arkansas, so if you think them playing an SEC team is going to elevate them to our level we are already in trouble. The game would be fun and easy travel for a lot of fans of both schools. It's odd that some of our fans cling to this belief that we shouldn't want to be playing every other year in one of the largest cities in our own state.
No problem playing in Memphis. They just don't deserve a "home and home". If UT is going to play there then they should rent the Liberty Bowl and play someone else or maybe even Memphis as the "home team".

You play home and home series with programs on your own level. UT should not lower themselves to do that with Memphis.

There's also the fact that the Liberty Bowl only holds about 62K. Just one more reason not to do it.

No problem playing in Memphis. They just don't deserve a "home and home". If UT is going to play there then they should rent the Liberty Bowl and play someone else or maybe even Memphis as the "home team".

You play home and home series with programs on your own level. UT should not lower themselves to do that with Memphis.

There's also the fact that the Liberty Bowl only holds about 62K. Just one more reason not to do it.

What about The Brigham Young University?

What about The Brigham Young University?
Good grief... Are you still missing the point?

I'm not justifying anyone's MISTAKES.

NO. In ABSOLUTE TERMS. UT should NOT have given BYU a home and home. BUT... BYU has a better argument than Memphis. They HAVE won a media voted NC in our lifetime. Until just recently, Memphis was homecoming fodder.

Reactions: feathersax
It's amazing how often people forget the point of playing these games. They are supposed to be FUN for the fans. Do you honestly not believe that it would be more enjoyable to play Memphis, both for us and them, then for us to play say Charlotte? UAB? Or them play Arkansas State or whoever? No one is saying we should replace Oklahoma with Memphis. But which game would you rather see? Memphis or ETSU? The arguments of "they don't deserve...." is all BS. It's a fringe argument AT BEST. We aren't lowering or diminishing our 'brand". That argument is over. We are in the SEC. In this day and age, if we take care of business on the field, we are in the championship game. Period. All of this other perception **** is in the past. Replacing one of our layup games every year with a set game against an instate school would be beneficial for our fans, a ton of which live a lot closer to Memphis than they do Knoxville.

Good grief... Are you still missing the point?

I'm not justifying anyone's MISTAKES.

NO. In ABSOLUTE TERMS. UT should NOT have given BYU a home and home. BUT... BYU has a better argument than Memphis. They HAVE won a media voted NC in our lifetime. Until just recently, Memphis was homecoming fodder.

You know what that 'N' stands for on Nebraska's helmet?

It's amazing how often people forget the point of playing these games. They are supposed to be FUN for the fans. Do you honestly not believe that it would be more enjoyable to play Memphis, both for us and them, then for us to play say Charlotte? UAB? Or them play Arkansas State or whoever? No one is saying we should replace Oklahoma with Memphis. But which game would you rather see? Memphis or ETSU? The arguments of "they don't deserve...." is all BS. It's a fringe argument AT BEST. We aren't lowering or diminishing our 'brand". That argument is over. We are in the SEC. In this day and age, if we take care of business on the field, we are in the championship game. Period. All of this other perception **** is in the past. Replacing one of our layup games every year with a set game against an instate school would be beneficial for our fans, a ton of which live a lot closer to Memphis than they do Knoxville.

Let this be an example of a grown up matching wits with an adolescent.

Let this be an example of a grown up matching wits with an adolescent.
No. It is an example of someone that doesn't understand how important perception is to marketing and how important marketing is to recruiting and the appeal of the program. Start treating Memphis as an equal... and maybe those talented west Tennessee players will start believing it.

How do think they feel about you trashing their home?
They probably done like the crime and traffic either, but to bring up some of the problems that people face in Memphis is hardly “trashing their home”. There are many of beautiful homes in Memphis and Shelby County. Many gated communities have figured out a way to reduce crime. Traffic will always be an issue when there are so many incompetent drivers filling the roads each day.

I’m not so sure anybody living in that area would deny that crime and traffic are bad. Most would add some other issues too.

Weird. Was there a purpose here other than disparage TN, do a little coach bashing and maybe stroke the tigers?

Read like something I'd see on their board...guessing because why would anyone look.

Living in memphis, suburbs, I'll be the first one to trash talk about this place. Corrupt officials, crime, cesspool.

I can’t imagine many that live in the area would disagree. Except for those that are profiting from the issues you expressed. They would want to keep things just the way they are now.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
No. It is an example of someone that doesn't understand how important perception is to marketing and how important marketing is to recruiting and the appeal of the program. Start treating Memphis as an equal... and maybe those talented west Tennessee players will start believing it.

You keep saying this and I'm not sure why. UT and Memphis have played 23 times. 12 in Knox and 11 in Memphis. In the '90's...UT's best decade in the modern era of college football, UT and Memphis played 6 times. 3 in Knox and 3 in Memphis.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
You keep saying this and I'm not sure why. UT and Memphis have played 23 times. 12 in Knox and 11 in Memphis. In the '90's...UT's best decade in the modern era of college football, UT and Memphis played 6 times. 3 in Knox and 3 in Memphis.
I say it because I consider it to be true. Does Bama give a home and home to UAB? Has UF given even some pretty good programs like USF a home and home? App St may be the best program in NC and you won't see UNC giving them a home and home.

You give home and home series to programs you consider your equal. There's also the financial side of it. What is UT's split for the game in Memphis and if there isn't one... why go rather than picking up another home game?

It’s like the “Penny” thread all over again. Make it stop. I never should’ve clicked on it .

And yes BYU has far more historical relevance than Memphis does. And it’s not close . It’s one thing to talk basketball, but quite another when you come over to the football side of things. Stirring up the Memphis Mafia hornets nest again. Good Grief.

VN Store

Back