Memphi$ Tiger$ mad about paying players

Dana Kirk was a good recruiter. Sure money played into it. Finch & Hardaway great players. Wouldn’t give up on Hardaway yet. Calipari was best. If Rose could have hit a free throw Memphis would have had Nat Champ.

Dana Kirk went to prison for taking payments from everyone from holiday tournaments to reporters wanting an interview to anyone who wanted to use his. name or likeness. All payments in cash and not reported to the IRS.

Reactions: feathersax
my point is Penny makes a very valid point. kids going straight from HS to the D-league is gonna be a problem if it becomes the norm. Most of them are gonna lose out long term going that route. Each year there are probably maybe 10 or so guys that would benefit from this route and make the league College offers a transition and fall back option most kids need..
I get your point but I've thought about it a lot and I just don't see where it will effect the NCAA much at all. Coach English actually said it would have zero effect on college basketball. And that's coming from a guy who knows every possible angle on it. Certainly I would want what's best for the kids but this has been an issue for big time talented baseballers for years. I know several who have had to make that choice with their kids. And it is very taxing and deserves a lot of time and research. But as far as ruining the college basketball game? I just don't see it. And Cal and Penny are the only two i hear being very vocal about it. And the NBA is their common denominator. Penny of course has proven zero about that.

Reactions: walkenvol
Dana Kirk went to prison for taking payments from everyone from holiday tournaments to reporters wanting an interview to anyone who wanted to use his. name or likeness. All payments in cash and not reported to the IRS.
Dana just didn't have the character it takes to be working with college aged kids IMO. There were no cellphones in that day and on two occasions I saw Dana on a pay phone outside the old Malco theatre in Memphis Poplar Plaza. The comments were always made about what deal was he working on that couldn't be traced to his home or office phone. You're exactly right IRS got Dana. He cut the grass at the Navy base golf course for a couple of years when he was in prison.

Reactions: Backwards K
The atmosphere from fan/school/alumni support along with the long standing rivalry games make college bball. Whether the top 10 18 year olds participate or not will have zero effect on whether I enjoy the games. Actually, I’d enjoy the games more if they wouldn’t participate as it’s much more fun to me to watch a guy like Fulky develop over time verses a 4 month mercenary. JMO

I see what you're saying now. Wasn't trying to be a jerk, I literally just got lost in your post with how I was reading it and did not understand your point with the example you presented. Sorry about that.
you have nothing to apologize for bro. I can be a bit obtuse.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Sorry, but I find it hard to believe Penny Hardaway is being genuine in his concern for student athlete welfare. If Penny didn't lose out on every major recruit he was in on this cycle, he wouldn't have said a word about this occurring. He knows his job is on the line if he can't do the one thing he was brought to Memphis to do (recruit). He'll pipe down again *if* they land Cisse.
I don't care about the intentions of Penny or where it comes from I am about is what he says true or not? Separate Homerism and hate from reality.

I get your point but I've thought about it a lot and I just don't see where it will effect the NCAA much at all. Coach English actually said it would have zero effect on college basketball. And that's coming from a guy who knows every possible angle on it. Certainly I would want what's best for the kids but this has been an issue for big time talented baseballers for years. I know several who have had to make that choice with their kids. And it is very taxing and deserves a lot of time and research. But as far as ruining the college basketball game? I just don't see it. And Cal and Penny are the only two i hear being very vocal about it. And the NBA is their common denominator. Penny of course has proven zero about that.
You could be right. I am just going on history and how the NCAA has a habit of overcomplicating and messing up everything when it comes to students themselves. The NCAA always wins the kids lose. In this case, I see it as a move by the G-league to take advantage of the fact there have been trailblazers that went another route in this upcoming draft. 2 high profile athletes went outside the whole NCAA bubble and are still seen as lottery/ high draft picks. They proved the point and the G-league is following up on that. But the problem is a lot of kids that don't have their talent but do have that hype will follow sit and get burned. Do you know how rare it is for the top prospects to end up as the top draft picks? Look at the lottery.. in the NBA draft each year its amazing how many guys not even ranked top 100 are drafted in the lottery and first round.

That tells me most of these "top prospects" if they go G-league are gonna fail. I don't care about this hurting the NCAA I care about it hurting the kids who know no better. Tell me at 17-18 ii can go and make 60-150k a year or go to college and play for free and have to go to class and follow NCAA rules.. 99% of 17 year olds sign the bad contract.

Careful, G League will come after Tennessees 5 Star players as well.

I'm not worried about that. We've had talent that could have made the jump straight to the G league, but it's so few and far in between, and Hopson is the only one to stick around long enough to be a part of anything special.

You could be right. I am just going on history and how the NCAA has a habit of overcomplicating and messing up everything when it comes to students themselves. The NCAA always wins the kids lose. In this case, I see it as a move by the G-league to take advantage of the fact there have been trailblazers that went another route in this upcoming draft. 2 high profile athletes went outside the whole NCAA bubble and are still seen as lottery/ high draft picks. They proved the point and the G-league is following up on that. But the problem is a lot of kids that don't have their talent but do have that hype will follow sit and get burned. Do you know how rare it is for the top prospects to end up as the top draft picks? Look at the lottery.. in the NBA draft each year its amazing how many guys not even ranked top 100 are drafted in the lottery and first round.

That tells me most of these "top prospects" if they go G-league are gonna fail. I don't care about this hurting the NCAA I care about it hurting the kids who know no better. Tell me at 17-18 ii can go and make 60-150k a year or go to college and play for free and have to go to class and follow NCAA rules.. 99% of 17 year olds sign the bad contract.
Good points for sure. Hopefully they'll have responsible adults around to help with that decision. I certainly agree, just like baseball, there will be a few that make the wrong decision. And the percentages are very very slim too. Hopefully the NBA (which could close down tomorrow and I as a sports fan I couldn't care less) will show some restraint and concern for most kids and only offer the very select few (probably on average no more than 2-3). But only time will tell. Good discussions though!!

Good points for sure. Hopefully they'll have responsible adults around to help with that decision. I certainly agree, just like baseball, there will be a few that make the wrong decision. And the percentages are very very slim too. Hopefully the NBA (which could close down tomorrow and I as a sports fan I couldn't care less) will show some restraint and concern for most kids and only offer the very select few (probably on average no more than 2-3). But only time will tell. Good discussions though!!
We have no control over what the NBA or NCAA does no matter how much we think we do. I posted what I've posted here so maybe a few guys here will think a bit more before they post crazy crap like this OP... just because penny said it does not mean it has no merit. That's the only point I was really trying to make. Jits possible to have a rival and have a healthy competitive hatred for them. I think it was clear in the Last Dance when Jordan addressed the Isiah Thomas how that should go. He said clearly. I don't like this guy I hate him but in my mind, Magic Johnson is the best PG ever (fact) and Isiah is right behind him. He didn't like Isiah didn't want to play with him but he didn't discount the guy was a GOAT.

These days people tend to want to totally discount anything the rival says. they talk about Penny like he wasn't one of the best players the NBA has ever seen before injuries. Understand Penny was all that and got humbled and he stuck around the league for years after that as a well above average player but a shell of himself. You have to respect a person that can do that. Disagree with whatever you want about him as a coach or the coach of Memphis but I and in my mind others here have no right to challenge his knowledge of how the business works. Like the T.I. song goes my life your entertainment. He lived it we watched it. When he speaks on that I am gonna listen. Ain't gotta agree but I am gonna hear him out.

We have no control over what the NBA or NCAA does no matter how much we think we do. I posted what I've posted here so maybe a few guys here will think a bit more before they post crazy crap like this OP... just because penny said it does not mean it has no merit. That's the only point I was really trying to make. Jits possible to have a rival and have a healthy competitive hatred for them. I think it was clear in the Last Dance when Jordan addressed the Isiah Thomas how that should go. He said clearly. I don't like this guy I hate him but in my mind, Magic Johnson is the best PG ever (fact) and Isiah is right behind him. He didn't like Isiah didn't want to play with him but he didn't discount the guy was a GOAT.

These days people tend to want to totally discount anything the rival says. they talk about Penny like he wasn't one of the best players the NBA has ever seen before injuries. Understand Penny was all that and got humbled and he stuck around the league for years after that as a well above average player but a shell of himself. You have to respect a person that can do that. Disagree with whatever you want about him as a coach or the coach of Memphis but I and in my mind others here have no right to challenge his knowledge of how the business works. Like the T.I. song goes my life your entertainment. He lived it we watched it. When he speaks on that I am gonna listen. Ain't gotta agree but I am gonna hear him out.
I got ya and understand your position......I actually spent a little time with Penny in the late 90's and actually liked him. He always acted very classy (totally unlike the way he acted after the first game with Tennessee last year). Penny has worked hard at gaining respect and has kept himself clean after an incident years ago that could have gone really bad for him. One of my best friends is actually on his staff now. So I certainly have no ill's against PH or Memphis. He just has a mountain of things to prove before he carries a whole ton of weight....especially after what happened this past season which is yet to be determined. As far as the G-league...we'll have to wait and see how that turns out...I enjoyed the conversation!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back