Melvin McBride - medically retired

14 healthy scholly guys that are all bigger and stronger than last year will be more serviceable.

Still looking like Darnell, Wanya, Trey could all end up on the same line with Kennedy. Pretty strong.

Kinda thought the same thing reference the redshirt. However, going forward it would have been nice to have the depth at O-line and I see him as being a contributor, if not a starter a year or two out. But for this year, I dont think it's going to make much of a difference. That's my two cents, although I am sure to be trumped by a volnation member who has Pruitt's cell phone number and is regularly contacted by him for their football I.Q.

We have 15 OL players, we can't get 7-9 ready to play?........dang it! when does bad mitten season start? never hear about their injuries...............jk bad mitten is a tough sport too =\

Reactions: NATHAN05
14 healthy scholly guys that are all bigger and stronger than last year will be more serviceable.

Still looking like Darnell, Wanya, Trey could all end up on the same line with Kennedy. Pretty strong.

I pretty much end my daily prayer session with the big guy asking for just this exact thing this upcoming season.

Some poster on the McBride thread in the RF says that he was told by a UGA mod on their Rivals site in February that UGA really liked this kid but were worried about his heart issues, so if that's true it sounds like we probably knew also, it was just a calculated risk we were willing to take given the dismal state of our returning OL roster. Obviously it didn't pan out.

True. Last Fall, the coaches knew about his condition according to one site and reported that there was a concern about a health issue. Because of this, the communication lines went cold for a while. McBride is a player who was strong and well coached. His technique was excellent. Sorry to hear about his prognosis.

Last edited:
Reactions: govols10302bb
Sorry for your condition Melvin McBride, we did indeed need your presence, but sometimes life throws us a curve ball, best of luck young Man!

Tennessee's luck continues:(

If there's any doubt that Pruitt and the institution are somehow putting Trey Smith's health at risk so he can play, just look at and read Pruitt's statement concerning this young man KB posted.

Some of those weights aren't up to date. I think Jamir is up to 310 now and Neihaus is bigger too.
Jamir Johnson was quoted as being 300 lb. I believe that's who Pruitt was talking about gaining so much weight during the off-season, if I'm not mistaken.

If the guy with clots gets to play and does so effectively, it will be the biggest break any team/individual has received in the history of organized (unorganized? disorganized?) athletics, and this possibility is still on the table. This happens, and TN's "snakebit" tag gets permanently retired.

OGF - If the "guy with clots" does return, he is only one man AND one man in my humble opinion, who will be a long way from where he was before his illness. That's not to say he won't be able to get back to the lofty height, but it will take time (just like this team needs). I also wonder how much the experience and coaching he has missed has set him back.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Still going to be undersized in 2019 if we end up with the same lineup that we had at the end of last season.

Lampley, Fr 300lb
Kennedy R-SR 300lb
Locklear, Jr 291lb
Niehaus, R-Jr 304
J. Johnson, R-Jr 270lb
Tatum, R-Jr 308
R. Johnson, R-Jr 313lb
Morris, Fr 309lb
Wright, Fr 320lb
T. Smith, Jr 337lb
Calbert, R-So 330lb
Carvin, So 308lb
Akporoghene, Fr 301lb
Lane, R-Fr 301lb
What?
Dude, Tatum was playing around 280 last year. Johnson is supposed to be around 290 now. Every player that played last year is bigger and stronger.

Has anyone ever heard of this many medical retirements at the OL positions? This is insane. We arenā€™t going to have any depth if this keeps up.

Honestly, I think Pruitt might be pushing for medical retirement for some. Not necessarily OL but I think he might be pretty much pushing those that have serious/consistent issues to just retire because they more than likely won't play. It might sound bad but they get the free education still and it frees up a spot. That's just my opinion and I have no clue if that is actually happening.

Honestly, I think Pruitt might be pushing for medical retirement for some. Not necessarily OL but I think he might be pretty much pushing those that have serious/consistent issues to just retire because they more than likely won't play. It might sound bad but they get the free education still and it frees up a spot. That's just my opinion and I have no clue if that is actually happening.

Could very well be. Saban uses it about as effectively as it can be used in Tuscaloosa.

Replacing Richmond alone should cut down on the number of wiffs

add fr Dayne Davis 6'7 326pd pwo northeast tn boy
So that leaves us with 14 Scholly OL:

Lampley, Fr
Kennedy R-SR
Locklear, Jr
Niehaus, R-Jr
J. Johnson, R-Jr
Tatum, R-Jr
R. Johnson, R-Jr
Morris, Fr
Wright, Fr
T. Smith, Jr
Calbert, R-So
Carvin, So
Akporoghene, Fr
Lane, R-Fr

Plus Walkons I think:

Kueth, R-So
Garvey, R-Fr
Abercrombie, R-Fr
Raymond, R-Jr

Plus, Snappers:

Lovingood, R-Sr
Yelich, R-Jr

If we can get some good mileage out of Trey Smith and Brandon Kennedy, then we will be fine. Three or more injuries to core group and it could be 2016/2017/2018 deja vu!

Man but what a great career he had... Retired seems like a ridiculously over used word, especially in this case!!

VN Store

Back