Melvin McBride - medically retired

Has anyone ever heard of this many medical retirements at the OL positions? This is insane. We aren’t going to have any depth if this keeps up.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Thousands of young athletes receive preparticipation evaluations each year in the United States. One objective of these evaluations is to detect underlying cardiovascular abnormalities that may predispose an athlete to sudden death
-
The Athletic Preparticipation Evaluation: Cardiovascular Assessment

Say what?

The point of a sports physical it to make sure the athlete is healthy enough to play, and to uncover issues that could cause injury and death, specifically cardiac-related health problems.

Well, I guess somebody is doing it now.Still, just because he was cleared before doesn't mean he didn't have more problems after he got here. Before, it may have just been a heart murmur. In the past two weeks, it has obviously gotten worse.

Has anyone ever heard of this many medical retirements at the OL positions? This is insane. We aren’t going to have any depth if this keeps up.
He wasn’t going to play this season. Akpo still might not.

Depth. Also, please offer the proof he wasnt going to play.
Same as your assertion that Gullickson wasn’t that bad and Pruitt should’ve kept him...except I have the number of players in front of him.

Same as your assertion that Gullickson wasn’t that bad and Pruitt should’ve kept him...except I have the number of players in front of him.

Terrible analogy. Also, you have no idea if he could have played well enough to start. It’s not like all the guys in front of him are studs. So keep up the conjecture 😎

You’ve got to be kidding. Hate it for the young man, but signing to play Oline at UT may be the kiss of death.
-Chance Hall
-McBride
-Jack Jones
- Smith possibly
- Antonucci
- Devante Brooks
- Eric Crosby
That’s just on Oline and doesn’t include another handful of players who’ve had to declare medically unable.

Terrible analogy. Also, you have no idea if he could have played well enough to start. It’s not like all the guys in front of him are studs. So keep up the conjecture 😎
Not conjecture. Who was he going to take snaps from? He was a project...never in doubt. Wasn’t an EE and was the lowest rated OL in the class...guess that meant Calbert and Carvin and Locklear and Jahmir Johnson and...are breathing a sigh of relief. You’re whining but offer nothing else. You going to make that train saying the program is cursed and should disband big and orange? 😉

You’ve got to be kidding. Hate it for the young man, but signing to play Oline at UT may be the kiss of death.
-Chance Hall
-McBride
-Jack Jones
- Smith possibly
- Antonucci
- Devante Brooks
- Eric Crosby
That’s just on Oline and doesn’t include another handful of players who’ve had to declare medically unable.
We’re talking curses...disband the program. 😴

I honestly hope Trey Smith chooses not to play. It seems like the risks would far outweigh the benefits. The young man's future is way more important, it goes without saying.

Reactions: volsfanforlife73
So that leaves us with 14 Scholly OL:

Lampley, Fr
Kennedy R-SR
Locklear, Jr
Niehaus, R-Jr
J. Johnson, R-Jr
Tatum, R-Jr
R. Johnson, R-Jr
Morris, Fr
Wright, Fr
T. Smith, Jr
Calbert, R-So
Carvin, So
Akporoghene, Fr
Lane, R-Fr

Plus Walkons I think:

Kueth, R-So
Garvey, R-Fr
Abercrombie, R-Fr
Raymond, R-Jr

Plus, Snappers:

Lovingood, R-Sr
Yelich, R-Jr

If we can get some good mileage out of Trey Smith and Brandon Kennedy, then we will be fine. Three or more injuries to core group and it could be 2016/2017/2018 deja vu!

So that leaves us with 14 Scholly OL:

Lampley, Fr
Kennedy R-SR
Locklear, Jr
Niehaus, R-Jr
J. Johnson, R-Jr
Tatum, R-Jr
R. Johnson, R-Jr
Morris, Fr
Wright, Fr
T. Smith, Jr
Calbert, R-So
Carvin, So
Akporoghene, Fr
Lane, R-Fr

Plus Walkons I think:

Kueth, R-So
Garvey, R-Fr
Abercrombie, R-Fr
Raymond, R-Jr

Plus, Snappers:

Lovingood, R-Sr
Yelich, R-Jr

If we can get some good mileage out of Trey Smith and Brandon Kennedy, then we will be fine. Three or more injuries to core group and it could be 2016/2017/2018 deja vu!

Still going to be undersized in 2019 if we end up with the same lineup that we had at the end of last season.

Lampley, Fr 300lb
Kennedy R-SR 300lb
Locklear, Jr 291lb
Niehaus, R-Jr 304
J. Johnson, R-Jr 270lb
Tatum, R-Jr 308
R. Johnson, R-Jr 313lb
Morris, Fr 309lb
Wright, Fr 320lb
T. Smith, Jr 337lb
Calbert, R-So 330lb
Carvin, So 308lb
Akporoghene, Fr 301lb
Lane, R-Fr 301lb

Still going to be undersized in 2019 if we end up with the same lineup that we had at the end of last season.

Lampley, Fr 300lb
Kennedy R-SR 300lb
Locklear, Jr 291lb
Niehaus, R-Jr 304
J. Johnson, R-Jr 270lb
Tatum, R-Jr 308
R. Johnson, R-Jr 313lb
Morris, Fr 309lb
Wright, Fr 320lb
T. Smith, Jr 337lb
Calbert, R-So 330lb
Carvin, So 308lb
Akporoghene, Fr 301lb
Lane, R-Fr 301lb

Some of those weights aren't up to date. I think Jamir is up to 310 now and Neihaus is bigger too.

I honestly hope Trey Smith chooses not to play. It seems like the risks would far outweigh the benefits. The young man's future is way more important, it goes without saying.
If it’s CHOICE? He would have already done so.

What do you mean? Not sure I'm tracking.
It’s not a matter of him CHOOSING not to play. This is about him being medically cleared. If it’s a matter of him deciding yay or nay...it’d be done. He’s trying to play so if medically cleared the DECISION is already made.

Reactions: Alto1
To be fair almost every other retiree was from Butch's players he recruited not to mention he didn't have a strength and conditioning staff for his last two to three years

CJP and staff can always move a few defensive linemen to the offensive line if they need to build depth for the upcoming season.

Happens to quite a few apparently. My 16 year old is voluntarily medically retired after his sophomore HS season. Three hairline fractures in lower vertebrae and no Pars between L3 and L4. The dead lifts and squats got him. Not the game. He played with regular acupuncture and just didn't want to get hurt anymore. He finished the season at 170 and would have returned at 190, and was a heck of a O-lineman. But, going up against guys every play that had 40-80 pounds on him was brutal under the circumstances. Too bad. He put the same 280 pounder on his butt twice in one game and could get his block on a pull and the block the TE would never make. Prob wouldn't have quit if the coach would agree to move him off the line and to a position with some rotation.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

VN Store

Back