Melvin McBride - medically retired

How much of a loss is this going to be? I figured he was gonna be a redshirt candidate anyway. Y'all's thoughts?

Kinda thought the same thing reference the redshirt. However, going forward it would have been nice to have the depth at O-line and I see him as being a contributor, if not a starter a year or two out. But for this year, I dont think it's going to make much of a difference. That's my two cents, although I am sure to be trumped by a volnation member who has Pruitt's cell phone number and is regularly contacted by him for their football I.Q.

How much of a loss is this going to be? I figured he was gonna be a redshirt candidate anyway. Y'all's thoughts?
With the new rule they could play up to 4 games and still redshirt, so at a minimum, it's a loss of an extra body to throw out there and see what he could do.

Kinda thought the same thing reference the redshirt. However, going forward it would have been nice to have the depth at O-line and I see him as being a contributor, if not a starter a year or two out. But for this year, I dont think it's going to make much of a difference. That's my two cents, although I am sure to be trumped by a volnation member who has Pruitt's cell phone number and is regularly contacted by him for their football I.Q.
Gives us one more scholarship offer or perhaps a transfer for this year.

Makes me wonder how this kid was playing football in high school, shows up on campus and two weeks later is diagnosed with a career-ending medical condition? Is this a situation where his medical care prior to getting to UT was so poor that no doctor ever came across his issue? Is Shelby County forgoing sports physicals now?

Makes me wonder how this kid was playing football in high school, shows up on campus and two weeks later is diagnosed with a career-ending medical condition? Is this a situation where his medical care prior to getting to UT was so poor that no doctor ever came across his issue? Is Shelby County forgoing sports physicals now?
Some poster on the McBride thread in the RF says that he was told by a UGA mod on their Rivals site in February that UGA really liked this kid but were worried about his heart issues, so if that's true it sounds like we probably knew also, it was just a calculated risk we were willing to take given the dismal state of our returning OL roster. Obviously it didn't pan out.

Depends on how many other OL guys get injured or have medical issues. Once those start piling up during the season, you have fewer options on who can fill the void. So, this is definitely a big loss. Now, if Trey Smith gets cleared and can perform up to his potential, , that makes it somewhat less of a loss.

But sometimes, prospective players are going to have medical issues that prematurely end their careers. That means the next recruiting class will probably mean 1 more spot for a OL guy than you planned for. So I still say we need a faith healer or a psychic.

WTF, our O line can't catch a break
If the guy with clots gets to play and does so effectively, it will be the biggest break any team/individual has received in the history of organized (unorganized? disorganized?) athletics, and this possibility is still on the table. This happens, and TN's "snakebit" tag gets permanently retired.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
If the guy with clots gets to play and does so effectively, it will be the biggest break any team/individual has received in the history of organized (unorganized? disorganized?) athletics, and this possibility is still on the table. This happens, and TN's "snakebit" tag gets permanently retired.

That's a huge IF right there for someone who's had blood clots in his lungs twice in a little more than a year. I want it to happen as well, but I'm in see it to believe it mode when it comes to Trey Smith's health.

Sports physicals don't include cardiac testing. But obviously, if Georgia had concerns about heart issues, I wonder why Pruitt took a chance on him. Maybe in the past two weeks, he went in for testing, and comparing it to previous tests showed the condition worse than before. That happens.

Reactions: savannahfan
Sports physicals don't include cardiac testing. But obviously, if Georgia had concerns about heart issues, I wonder why Pruitt took a chance on him. Maybe in the past two weeks, he went in for testing, and comparing it to previous tests showed the condition worse than before. That happens.

Thousands of young athletes receive preparticipation evaluations each year in the United States. One objective of these evaluations is to detect underlying cardiovascular abnormalities that may predispose an athlete to sudden death
-
The Athletic Preparticipation Evaluation: Cardiovascular Assessment

Say what?

The point of a sports physical it to make sure the athlete is healthy enough to play, and to uncover issues that could cause injury and death, specifically cardiac-related health problems.

Because Georgia has options.

Reactions: savannahfan
Well, Good luck to Melvin.

That makes 7 medical retirements this year/ 5 on OL plus Darren Kirkland and James Brown.

Can't blame the affliction on the University Doctors. Could this have been detected prior to signing?

On the bright side, he was the least rated of the 5 OL we signed.

Looks like another full class +25 opening up this fall.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
Another one!? And McBride was an incoming Freshman, too! Hasn't played a single snap of college ball.

Maybe we built our offensive line on top of an Indian burial ground. We seem cursed!

The Knoxville Golden Corral was built on sour ground

9pzn.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: CR-vol

VN Store

Back