Mel Tucker to Michigan State

Colorado should, theoretically, be a an equal to or possibly better destination than Michigan State.

You aren't recruiting against a name brand like Michigan or pretty much any of the other Big 10 teams.

Facilities can always be improved. (I have no idea how nice or not nice CU's athletic facilities are, but the area itself is beautiful)

You have competing teams in Colorado with CSU and Air Force, but neither of which are a P5 team so you should be the preeminent school

A wishy-washy Pac-12 South division (Arizona, ASU, UCLA, USC, Utah) that could be dominated with good coaching and recruiting. Comes down to salary for a good coach though.

Let's face it, if Utah can be at the top of the heap in football, or at least competitive, there is no reason a Colorado shouldn't be.

Colorado is without a doubt the easier job to be successful at, but Colorado wasn't and isn't paying 5.58 million a year. The Spartans have better facilities, but not by a drastic margin. Move was definitely money motivated.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Colorado should, theoretically, be a an equal to or possibly better destination than Michigan State.

You aren't recruiting against a name brand like Michigan or pretty much any of the other Big 10 teams.

Facilities can always be improved. (I have no idea how nice or not nice CU's athletic facilities are, but the area itself is beautiful)

You have competing teams in Colorado with CSU and Air Force, but neither of which are a P5 team so you should be the preeminent school

A wishy-washy Pac-12 South division (Arizona, ASU, UCLA, USC, Utah) that could be dominated with good coaching and recruiting. Comes down to salary for a good coach though.

Let's face it, if Utah can be at the top of the heap in football, or at least competitive, there is no reason a Colorado shouldn't be.
Colorado used to be a HUGE power, I remember...Those Big 8 and early Big 12 Colorado teams were always, it seemed like, in the national title picture...They just always lost to Nebraska.

Colorado is without a doubt the easier job to be successful at, but Colorado wasn't and isn't paying 5.58 million a year. The Spartans have better facilities, but not by a drastic margin. Move was definitely money motivated.
I remember when the Big 12 was on the verge of breaking up when all those teams left, Colorado was seen as a desirable "academic" enhancer for any conference that got it. Their focus hasn't been on sports in a long time and their in state teams (CSU and Air Force) are performing better on the field even if they are in a G5 conference.

I know $3.2 mil isn't exactly chicken feed, but I think $5 million is going to be the standard for most any P5 team HC salary these days. Money will always be the factor in such replacements.

I remember when the Big 12 was on the verge of breaking up when all those teams left, Colorado was seen as a desirable "academic" enhancer for any conference that got it. Their focus hasn't been on sports in a long time and their in state teams (CSU and Air Force) are performing better on the field even if they are in a G5 conference.

I know $3.2 mil isn't exactly chicken feed, but I think $5 million is going to be the standard for most any P5 team HC salary these days. Money will always be the factor in such replacements.

They went to play intramurals brother. It’s the PAC-12!

Reactions: coach12
Colorado used to be a HUGE power, I remember...Those Big 8 and early Big 12 Colorado teams were always, it seemed like, in the national title picture...They just always lost to Nebraska.
How hard can it be to recruit to a place where pot is legal?

Last edited:
kind of a ******** move to leave like that and the CU boards are saying he didnt meet with his team either.

But hey, noone is offering me 5.5 mill....
They were stoned. Let he without sin get stoned first...dude. 😂😂😂

Buff it.

Tucker and his staff will have a very difficult time recruiting 4 and 5 star players against Michigan and Ohio State every year.

Wasn't Tucker always considered a good recruiter? MSU has far better resources. I'm not sure why anyone is shocked that he took the money. It doesn't look bad on Tucker, rather it makes MSU look desperate - which they were, apparently.

Wasn't Tucker always considered a good recruiter? MSU has far better resources. I'm not sure why anyone is shocked that he took the money. It doesn't look bad on Tucker, rather it makes MSU look desperate - which they were, apparently.
I would say Tucker does look bad. Made comments about staying at CU over MSU. Was at a booster event for CU with his accepted offer in hand. His comments on no real world transfer portal. Its plenty bad. We were burning couches and still hate Kiffin for less.

I would think Bieniemy is at the very top of the Colorado list since he is a hot name and a former Buffs star, Sark is probably right near the top too with his PAC 12 ties and experience.

I fully expect him to be hired as an intern/analyst on Saban's staff in about 3 years. Money can't buy you respect. Total POS move! I sincerely hope he fails at MSU....and at his next gig after that.

VN Store

Back