Mel Tucker to Michigan State

In any case, the more I read about this, the more I realize we may have dodged a bullet by getting Pruitt instead of Mel Tucker. He basically Kiffin'd Colorado. And at least Kiffin had the "dream job" excuse; Tucker went to Mich State solely for the $$$$. Which is, btw, completely insane money for Mich State to pay a coach whose entire track record is one 5-7 season at Colorado. He's making more than Pruitt and Pruitt at least has started to turn our program around.

Kudos to you Luke Fickell.... a whole lot classier than that mercenary Butch Jones..... and a heck of lot better coach also. Actually developes players.

Big money talks, Tucker pretty much doubled his salary so can't fault him for that move. If you want to be a Head Coach you have to go where you get offered to go, but that being said ... who in their right mind would want to live in either Boulder or East Lansing ?

Last edited:
The problem with this is that he just signed 20+ kids to LOIs that must now sit a year if they decide to leave CU.

Definition of WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER

True, but any or all of those same 20 kids could put their name in the transfer portal and and leave him and his staff for any or no reason anytime they wanted to if he were still there. It's a dicey deal, but it goes both ways and kids should know that nowadays it's big fun and big business on the College level instead of solely big fun in High School.

Can’t turn down double salary and double amount for assistants. Best to keep taking big offers when they come, or you stay too long and you’re not a hot commodity anymore.

Boulder is overrun with liberals and California transplants. The fanbase is pathetic, and I keep hearing how Boulder should be attracting all of these top recruits from Texas and Cali but they never sniff the top 25 in recruiting. Boulder is the Devils playground.
It really is unbelievably annoying when people feel compelled to shoehorn politics into every single thing they talk about.
Even if I agree, it's just...Ugh.

Last edited:
Can't blame Tucker for leaving Colorado for Michigan State. Was it shady they way it went down with his I'm staying tweets, yes but what do you expect these days. Sparty doubled his and his staffs salary, better conference, better facilities. The only knock against MSU right now is the scandals and culture.

Reactions: sport3500
Can't blame Tucker for leaving Colorado for Michigan State. Was it shady they way it went down with his I'm staying tweets, yes but what do you expect these days. Sparty doubled his and his staffs salary, better conference, better facilities. The only knock against MSU right now is the scandals and culture.
If money and support were the same at both places, I'd take Colorado 11 times out of 10...Or better yet, 420 times out of 419. (I kid, I kid.)

Reactions: BUBear
Big money talks, Tucker pretty much doubled his salary so can't fault him for that move. If you want to be a Head Coach you have to go where you get offered to go, but that being said ... who in their right mind would want to live in either Boulder or East Lansing ?
Colorado should, theoretically, be a an equal to or possibly better destination than Michigan State.

You aren't recruiting against a name brand like Michigan or pretty much any of the other Big 10 teams.

Facilities can always be improved. (I have no idea how nice or not nice CU's athletic facilities are, but the area itself is beautiful)

You have competing teams in Colorado with CSU and Air Force, but neither of which are a P5 team so you should be the preeminent school

A wishy-washy Pac-12 South division (Arizona, ASU, UCLA, USC, Utah) that could be dominated with good coaching and recruiting. Comes down to salary for a good coach though.

Let's face it, if Utah can be at the top of the heap in football, or at least competitive, there is no reason a Colorado shouldn't be.

VN Store

Back