Mel Tucker to Michigan State

Seems like a bad career move IMO.

Michigan State is a mess right now. It's in a tough division. It's difficult to recruit top 25 classes there. I understand that Mel Tucker is from the midwest and knows the region well, and maybe that's why he's going there, but I feel like Colorado is a better job with higher upside. It's in a weak division right now as well, particularly with the divisional superpower (USC) being very down. And while there's not a ton of football talent coming out of Colorado, Boulder is one of the best college towns in the US; you can definitely recruit California and Texas kids to Boulder.

Last edited:
Not sure it’s a ‘better’ job, but with all the fog around State I’m surprised he left. Mel was the guy I wanted when we hired Pruitt.

Boulder for East Lansing? Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Indiana (they’re getting better) in their division instead of Utah as the toughest team? You just traded a great town for East Lansing and a much easier road to winning your division for one of the toughest divisions in college football. I guess everyone has their reasons though.

Boulder for East Lansing? Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Indiana (they’re getting better) in their division instead of Utah as the toughest team? You just traded a great town for East Lansing and a much easier road to winning your division for one of the toughest divisions in college football. I guess everyone has their reasons though.
Played in the B10, and was a GA at MSU for 2 seasons I believe.

But no way in hell I'd take that job over CU lol

Played in the B10, and was a GA at MSU for 2 seasons I believe.

But no way in hell I'd take that job over CU lol

I didn’t really know his back story, but I guess that makes a little more sense. If you‘re an old school B1G guy I can understand if you don’t really mesh with Boulder, but from a career standpoint and the ability to rise quickly I don’t think it makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: VolNExile
Boulder is overrun with liberals and California transplants. The fanbase is pathetic, and I keep hearing how Boulder should be attracting all of these top recruits from Texas and Cali but they never sniff the top 25 in recruiting. Boulder is the Devils playground.

Boulder is overrun with liberals and California transplants. The fanbase is pathetic, and I keep hearing how Boulder should be attracting all of these top recruits from Texas and Cali but they never sniff the top 25 in recruiting. Boulder is the Devils playground.
Seems like a place for OLE BITCH Jones!

How does rejecting the Mich State job make him a "fraud"? If anything, it shows he's not a 'waffling flake' who is immediately going to jump to the next job. He's the anti-Butch.
Because the week before he talked about how committed he was to UC, he wasn't going anywhere, UC needed to make a commitment to him blah blah blah and then he's trying to get in bed with MSU. Then he gets called out on his BS and turns MSU down

Well, if there was ever a question of "who is smarter, Mel Tucker or Luke Fickell?" It was just answered.

kind of a ******** move to leave like that and the CU boards are saying he didnt meet with his team either.

But hey, noone is offering me 5.5 mill....

Reactions: BUBear and peaygolf

VN Store

Back