Media is making college football unwatchable

Get rid of Kirk Herbstreit. I just know that it would somehow help the college game.
Seriously?
Herbstreit is one of the best in the business. He states his opinion and isn't afraid to ruffle feathers. The media needs more like that. Not agreeing with him doesn't make him wrong.

Just what the title says. It was absurd how long the MCB game lasted, and yes I understand it went into overtime but regulation alone was 4 hours, 22 minutes. I know some of you are going to say "I'll take all the football I can get" But you're not getting extra football, you're getting extra commercials. The NFL is the total opposite. Titans game on Sunday lasted right about 3 hours. Best as I can tell the timing rules are pretty close between NFL/CFB with the exception being replay with every play in CFB subject to review. And I understand the Titans game was not close and was low scoring, but still, over 4 hours for CFB is absurd. I seem to recall the rules in CFB were changed a few years ago to speed up games, they went to the 40 second continuous play clock like the NFL and game times improved.

The difference is in the NFL, the NFL tells the media what to do. In CFB, ESPN controls everything. It's time to change that, the number 2 sport behind NFL is college football so there is no reason the conferences can't get together and fire the red hat guy. I generally don't watch the first half of games anymore because it lasts so long. But we went to the South Carolina game in person and I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are.

Other than threatening to boycott watching UT, is there anything Joe Fan can do about this?

I too was "worn out" by commercials. But what else is there to do while some guy is wallowing around on the ground for 2-3 minutes then jumps up and walks or trots to the sideline slowly? (God forbid having to listen to the "color" babble anymore than is already forced upon us) I think the TV people are overjoyed with all the "injury" time outs. I wonder if anyone has actually totaled up the time lost to injury this past season as to say 2015 (before fake injuries) it would be a couple of interesting numbers.

I’m not going to stop watching Tennessee games because of the constant commercial breaks, but I do watch football as a whole a lot less because of them. Soccer is honestly one of the best sports to watch if you hate commercial breaks[/QUOT

Had rather watch dull gray paint dry! Even commercials are more interesting.

Just what the title says. It was absurd how long the MCB game lasted, and yes I understand it went into overtime but regulation alone was 4 hours, 22 minutes. I know some of you are going to say "I'll take all the football I can get" But you're not getting extra football, you're getting extra commercials. The NFL is the total opposite. Titans game on Sunday lasted right about 3 hours. Best as I can tell the timing rules are pretty close between NFL/CFB with the exception being replay with every play in CFB subject to review. And I understand the Titans game was not close and was low scoring, but still, over 4 hours for CFB is absurd. I seem to recall the rules in CFB were changed a few years ago to speed up games, they went to the 40 second continuous play clock like the NFL and game times improved.

The difference is in the NFL, the NFL tells the media what to do. In CFB, ESPN controls everything. It's time to change that, the number 2 sport behind NFL is college football so there is no reason the conferences can't get together and fire the red hat guy. I generally don't watch the first half of games anymore because it lasts so long. But we went to the South Carolina game in person and I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are.

Other than threatening to boycott watching UT, is there anything Joe Fan can do about this?

Today I learned the media is responsible for the clock stopping after every first down in college football.

Reactions: 05_never_again
The clock does start after a first down. That was changed. It may take a second to restart but those couple seconds is not lengthing the game. I watched the LSU game last night a player was holding his arm instead of walking off the field he falls down and they went to commercials for 5 minutes
The clock stops until they move the chains.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
People I know, if they care enough to do something, start recording the game on some device, and then start watching about 1 hour into the game, skipping commercials and halftime.

FWIW, though, i just don't care. I don't care about the announcers, and I don't care about the commercials. I just take a walk or go to the john during commercials. I feel bad for the announcers when they get it wrong. I'm just different evidently.

Bunch of negative people looking for something else to complain about lol

-NIL? Omg death of college sports
-playoffs? Omg no they should have 20 teams
-too many bowls? Omg why am I forced to exist in same timeline as them
-4 hour games? Omg why?
I do not like the playoffs though...............:confused:

I'd love to see the reaction on this site if it was around back when they started allowing athletic scholarships. I'm sure that ruffled many a feather back in the day.

IMO, the reviews take way too long. By the time the ref gets to the sideline 95% of the calls should already be made.

Regarding the timeouts, every time I see the guy in the red hat with the countdown clock walk onto the field I want to punch something!

If anything, it will get worse before it gets better with ESPN running things.
Do what I do and record the games (or pause your TV) and start watching about 30 minutes after kickoff. You can fast forward through all of the nauseating commercial breaks all the way up until halftime. Repeat for the 2nd half and find something else to do for 30 minutes. You may not be getting "instant" coverage, but it's well worth it to avoid all of the annoying commercials.

I'd love to see the reaction on this site if it was around back when they started allowing athletic scholarships. I'm sure that ruffled many a feather back in the day.
Maybe schools should take away scholarships. Have the athletes pay their own way with the NIL money they get.:confused:

Reactions: JarFly
If anything, it will get worse before it gets better with ESPN running things.
Do what I do and record the games (or pause your TV) and start watching about 30 minutes after kickoff. You can fast forward through all of the nauseating commercial breaks all the way up until halftime. Repeat for the 2nd half and find something else to do for 30 minutes. You may not be getting "instant" coverage, but it's well worth it to avoid all of the annoying commercials.

This is very good advice for those who hate commercials. Just be sure to turn off alerts on your phone.

Said it many times reviewing plays sucks and I hate how it kills momentum in games slowing everything down. But that genie ain't going back in the bottle.

Reactions: Doberman
College games were 4 hours-plus long before Heupel and Co. showed up on The Hill.

OP is right - the commercials plus the endless litigation over nearly every call and add the "fainting goat" time-outs and voila'.

I remember 10-15 years ago going to a UT and a Titans game on the same weekend and being impressed that the NFL got everything done in 3 hours. The game in Neyland the day before took over 4 without OT and with no goats.
id rather watch 4 hours of good football than 1 minute of Pruittball or pound the Bama rawk.

The media has the money and controls a lot of stuff that we do not know about. The problem is , the media becomes more controlling each year and we as fans get the butt end of their actions.

Also, after the past few years of idiotic NFL and all the craziness going on in college football on top of UT’s decade of disaster, as I get older I’m finding many other productive things to do that are much more satisfying, gratifying, and less costly. If Football in general doesn’t watch out they are going to sabotage themselves just like with NASCAR did. (Which I already quit it too) with the way the last two years have been in our world, sports concerts all entertainment they need to be slashing their prices to get people to attend, not doubling them. But they don’t care, the TV volume is where the ad revenue comes from so that’s what drives it….unless you QUIT! I haven’t subscribed to Sunday ticket in 3 years! And I don’t watch anything at home so they can’t count my set top boxes.

The various Conference commissioners (Sankey et al) working on behalf of school ADs & Presidents agreed to more commercials in order to receive a lot more $ in their TV network contracts. So the schools win, but the “fan experience” suffers. No real short term fix for this school greed issue other than not watching live.

Replay delays and fake injury delays can/should be addressed now. Less & faster replays like the NFL model will obviously reduce NCAA replay delays. And sitting an injured player for the rest of the possession, and subbing out only the injured player will reduce the fake injury delays.

My little pet peeve is going to 3 minutes of commercials as an injured player is walking to sideline, or the Zebras are going to a video review. But I might as well yell at a cloud, right?!

Reactions: Boca Vol
The average college game is only about 12 minutes longer than the NFL and most of that is 1st downs and halftime.

This feels like it can't possibly be true, but I know you wouldn't throw that out without having learned it from a reputable source. NFL games are almost always three hours long and televised college games are almost always about four hours long. Maybe the difference is whether or not the game is televised.

The constant falling by the opponent D adds time too.

I gotta agree though.

That game started at 2 and it went 4 hours before OT. Just too long.

You π/2 people need to reign in blaming the media for everything from the measles to pork belly prices. Using it as a one size fits all jar doesn't fly. Not that I am exactly a fan of the media myself. Seriously, this too long football game thing is less, far less about the media than it is about the usual element of capitalism known as greed. Wherever there's big money, there's greed, and schemes to get more money whether needed or not. Media didn't create the bowl games, media didn't create the commercials, and prolonged CFB games. No siree, the deep pocket fat cats who own the products and services businesses did that. So when they shake hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars in media's face to tack on extra air time to make their pitches, what do you expect? It's nothing new, in another era they did the same to farmers with big barns. Paid them to allow tourist sites, food products, farming products, restaurants and the like to be painted on those barns. You can even see vintage examples of this is your local Cracker Barrel restaurant. "You want to give me money, serious money, just to piggyback on what I normally do or have? Now, who doesn't like a swollen bank account?? Just look at how commercially saturated the Super Bowl have become. So one more time, it ain't the media, it's the greedy, deep pocket, fat cats driving these things. My suggestion is avoid the one size fits all, buzz word, slogan male bovine excretion and become educated as to what's really going on. you may not like it, but the truth is what it is.

Awaiting the put downs and other attacks ure to come for daring to tell it like it is.
I'm not going to attack you, but I will point out the fallacy in your logic. The NFL makes MORE money from broadcast rights, and yet they have LESS commercial time than CFB. Add to the fact they actually pay their players and your anti-capitalism rant is just plain wrong. CFB has a product people want just like NFL. So they should start acting that way.

VN Store

Back