Media is making college football unwatchable

Today I learned the media is responsible for the clock stopping after every first down in college football.
You think a 3 second delay is the problem? 20 first downs a game would add 1 minute. When is the last time you went to an NFL game and CFB game? There is no red hat guy trotting out with a 3:30 clock in the NFL.

I feel the same way. The 21st century sucks in more ways than one. I wish we could rewind the clock 25~30 years.
I sit down to relax occasionally, pick up the remote and soon realize there is absolutely nothing of any value on with 100's of channels. Then yesterday received the new bill for cable and wifi. It has literally doubled in two years' time. I am ready to ditch it all and find something better. The sports packages are CLEARLY money-making cash cows with the quality starting to bottom out. I HOPE most of us understand MEDIA is a serious problem in America including Sport Media.

I'm not going to attack you, but I will point out the fallacy in your logic. The NFL makes MORE money from broadcast rights, and yet they have LESS commercial time than CFB. Add to the fact they actually pay their players and your anti-capitalism rant is just plain wrong. CFB has a product people want just like NFL. So they should start acting that way.

OK. My point wasn't player related. It is the fact that commercial saturation is due to well-moneyed business owners and affiliates (sponsors they call them, I believe) waving big cash offers (bribes?) to broadcasters for air time to make their sales pitches. It is not the creation of the media, though they do take the cash and provide paid for air time. Of course, colleges that also benefit from the cash-flow, thus adding to the greed machine, have not yet refined the process as has the NFL. Plus, colleges are not a single body like the NFL. They are independent entities or conferences, so no uniform standard is in place to govern commercial air time. Thus bowls, and broadcast carriers, are exploited by said sponsors. And once again, the issue is it's all media's fault. Which isn't true, the greedy, deep pocket, fat cat business owners (sponsors) created this monster AND maintain it. I do think you and I are talking about two separate things. But hey!! It's always cool to amicably text chat with a fellow Vols fan. Have a great one, Rocky. :)

Last edited:
I’m not going to stop watching Tennessee games because of the constant commercial breaks, but I do watch football as a whole a lot less because of them. Soccer is honestly one of the best sports to watch if you hate commercial breaks

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - Oh, Soccer -- you mean the "other Futball" where they run around for 90 minutes, score ZERO points, and then have a goal-kicking contest at the end?

I sit down to relax occasionally, pick up the remote and soon realize there is absolutely nothing of any value on with 100's of channels. Then yesterday received the new bill for cable and wifi. It has literally doubled in two years' time. I am ready to ditch it all and find something better. The sports packages are CLEARLY money-making cash cows with the quality starting to bottom out. I HOPE most of us understand MEDIA is a serious problem in America including Sport Media.

I have Internet (with wifi included) only for around 5+ years since ditching DirecTV (DISH before that) due to sneak-up fees. My Internet for whatever reason has remained frozen at $70/mo. I installed a rotor-powered Channel Master OTA. It picks up 36 channels, of which I only watch four regularly, mostly for news, a few shows, and weather. My ROKU lets me tack on loads of free TV/Movie channels, plus Fandago movies if I feel so inclined. I don't use it often, but I have a military grade VPN service that lets me enter a certain site to watch any broadcast game (or movie which in 3 years I've never taken advantage) I want to watch. Nope, not sharing site address here. Networks, ISPs, etc mine forums and more on the web to find what or how to block. If this greed-feeing stopped, I'd never use the backdoor for such viewing. Which is why I don't use it to watch movies. With Fandango, you pay admission, so to speak, and it's done. They don't try to take up residence in your wallet and charge you ever-increasing rent to live in your wallet.

What you describe isn't media. It's carrier service. Media would be ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, ESPN, and the like.

Just what the title says. It was absurd how long the MCB game lasted, and yes I understand it went into overtime but regulation alone was 4 hours, 22 minutes. I know some of you are going to say "I'll take all the football I can get" But you're not getting extra football, you're getting extra commercials. The NFL is the total opposite. Titans game on Sunday lasted right about 3 hours. Best as I can tell the timing rules are pretty close between NFL/CFB with the exception being replay with every play in CFB subject to review. And I understand the Titans game was not close and was low scoring, but still, over 4 hours for CFB is absurd. I seem to recall the rules in CFB were changed a few years ago to speed up games, they went to the 40 second continuous play clock like the NFL and game times improved.

The difference is in the NFL, the NFL tells the media what to do. In CFB, ESPN controls everything. It's time to change that, the number 2 sport behind NFL is college football so there is no reason the conferences can't get together and fire the red hat guy. I generally don't watch the first half of games anymore because it lasts so long. But we went to the South Carolina game in person and I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are.

Other than threatening to boycott watching UT, is there anything Joe Fan can do about this?
Don't forget all the flopping timeouts.

This is in the same boat as "too many bowl games" to me.
I don't want to speed the game up so it can end sooner.

Reactions: GAVol
This is in the same boat as "too many bowl games" to me.
I don't want to speed the game up so it can end sooner.
It's the same reaction I have when somebody complains that their round of golf is taking too long.

Reactions: jonnon111
Get used to Tennessee games being that long now. It's our style of play now.

Lots of plays, lot of passes, lots of clock stoppages = 4 hour games.
And lots of fake injuries. Almost every one of those led to a TV commercial. Fun times.

Reactions: Doberman
Just what the title says. It was absurd how long the MCB game lasted, and yes I understand it went into overtime but regulation alone was 4 hours, 22 minutes. I know some of you are going to say "I'll take all the football I can get" But you're not getting extra football, you're getting extra commercials. The NFL is the total opposite. Titans game on Sunday lasted right about 3 hours. Best as I can tell the timing rules are pretty close between NFL/CFB with the exception being replay with every play in CFB subject to review. And I understand the Titans game was not close and was low scoring, but still, over 4 hours for CFB is absurd. I seem to recall the rules in CFB were changed a few years ago to speed up games, they went to the 40 second continuous play clock like the NFL and game times improved.

The difference is in the NFL, the NFL tells the media what to do. In CFB, ESPN controls everything. It's time to change that, the number 2 sport behind NFL is college football so there is no reason the conferences can't get together and fire the red hat guy. I generally don't watch the first half of games anymore because it lasts so long. But we went to the South Carolina game in person and I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are.

Other than threatening to boycott watching UT, is there anything Joe Fan can do about this?
Many years ago I would record UT football games on VCR to watch again later (if they won). I would pause commercials, halftimes, times out, and sometimes when they huddled between plays. Even then the game would last close to 4 hr. My tape recording of the same game could be watched in ~55 minutes.

No matter how grueling the TV timeouts, the flop injuries, the ever lasting reviews...........

There is just no replacement for live sports for me.

Reactions: jonnon111
It's the same reaction I have when somebody complains that their round of golf is taking too long.
How dare that group ahead of us make me stand in the fairway and make me drink more beer on a beautiful day.

(within reason, it is annoying having to wait 5 minutes before each shot)

I have Internet (with wifi included) only for around 5+ years since ditching DirecTV (DISH before that) due to sneak-up fees. My Internet for whatever reason has remained frozen at $70/mo. I installed a rotor-powered Channel Master OTA. It picks up 36 channels, of which I only watch four regularly, mostly for news, a few shows, and weather. My ROKU lets me tack on loads of free TV/Movie channels, plus Fandago movies if I feel so inclined. I don't use it often, but I have a military grade VPN service that lets me enter a certain site to watch any broadcast game (or movie which in 3 years I've never taken advantage) I want to watch. Nope, not sharing site address here. Networks, ISPs, etc mine forums and more on the web to find what or how to block. If this greed-feeing stopped, I'd never use the backdoor for such viewing. Which is why I don't use it to watch movies. With Fandango, you pay admission, so to speak, and it's done. They don't try to take up residence in your wallet and charge you ever-increasing rent to live in your wallet.

What you describe isn't media. It's carrier service. Media would be ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, ESPN, and the like.
Lol…you would be correct. Having been a member of the media (wife as well) in years past the word “media” in today’s vernacular would lean more toward an attitudinal approach by facial/voice/print icons than a subset of broadcast entities but certainly your point is well taken. At any rate…I’ll be analyzing all those options and then let my brilliant son in law explain the appropriate direction.

NIL/portal have doomed college football more than long commercials. The schools with the biggest donor bases will be the NFL feeders, and other teams will be the feeders for them. With no stability in any programs except the top ones, I predict complete degeneration in 4 years. I hope to still be going to UT games after that, here's hoping our donors measure up to A&M and the Longhorns.
What we need is a minor league for football. Let all the 4 and 5 stars just skip college, get paid and train for the NFL. Then we can get back to recruiting the Dale Jones’s and Keith Delongs of the world and college football will mean something again.
Just my opinion.
GBO!!

Reactions: JarFly
I remember college games lasting 3 hours. What happened? Pass Happy Teams extend the time? Probably, BUT commercials for 5 minutes or longer are ridiculous. Every change of possession= Commercial Break. Opening Kickoff, then Commercial Break. Add in the STUDIO Talking heads Halftime Report and the Game announcers review & Coach Interviews, and Cheerleader sideline reporters ---Geeze Jimmeny.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
What we need is a minor league for football. Let all the 4 and 5 stars just skip college, get paid and train for the NFL. Then we can get back to recruiting the Dale Jones’s and Keith Delongs of the world and college football will mean something again.
Just my opinion.
GBO!!
Then everyone will be like Rutgers and no one will care plus you’ll have a bad coach.
THE SEC is the AAA option right now and will remain that way!

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
the media pc crowd has ruined all television....just about any network show on slides in some pc & editorial crap, whether it is a sitcom, sports show, or drama...and that's the way it is....

And that is why YouTube personalities are becoming more famous than many sitcom actors.

Reactions: Pappy

VN Store

Back