Measuring USC Cocks

Jethro

....On paper USC looks very mediocre. They average 3.8 yards per run and 9.8 yards per pass (completed) and average 40 yards per punt. The thing that scares me a little is that they beat BAMA 20-3. As well, they played UGA to within 4 points and OLE MISS-take to within 3 points. While they lost both of these games, they could have easily won them. Rem.: We barely got by both of these teams and we only beat BAMMER by 4 points. The game is on their home field. The only gleaming bright spot that I can see is the fact that both their #1 and #2 QB's are semi-hurt and only saw limited practice during their off week. This could easily be THE GAME that our boys look past, especially having been through a very hard hitting game this weekend with Bammer. Holtz is no Shula when it comes to coaching- has proven over the years to be a sly dog sometimes. I think we will win if we do not come out flat and as well play to win (as opposed as play NOT TO LOSE). Invite your thoughts while my medicine is still active, after that I do not promise what these fingers will pen. Starting to see blurry stuff now, tryin' to sign out...sopthnnimvfolnhb ninnmgoinmel gtnionaoin4mlsadfm.hjkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Not sure how to respond to that last sentence...., but,

I agree that this is absolutely not a game to overlook. Besides the fact that SC has played some of our common opponents just as well as we have, and besides the fact that this is a game our players could overlook, we're also having to deal with SC's perennial futility and compounding frustration with not beating us. They gave us all we could handle last year, I expect the same this year. They want to beat us BAD, Holtz, the players, and the fans. We have a big target on our back.

Working in our favor will be the fact that the game is early, crowd won't be as loud as it would for a night game.

A fast start will be essential.

Numb butts = VICTORY!

Lou Holtz has always scared me. Every time the Gamecocks line up for a FG or punt I will hold my breath. Or when he goes for it on 4th and 5. They have nothing to lose but we have everything to lose.

Originally posted by OrangeCrush18@Oct 26, 2004 8:43 AM
Every time the Gamecocks line up for a FG or punt I will hold my breath.

When has Holtz ever had a good field goal kicker? It always seems like he's got a freshman walk-on?? :blink:

I think he is saying this because Holtz has the tendency to call fake fg's and punts.

granny clampett will pull out all the stops for us...this will be another nail biter... but ain't it fun! :ph34r:

Originally posted by allvol+Oct 26, 2004 11:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allvol @ Oct 26, 2004 11:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-OrangeCrush18@Oct 26, 2004 8:43 AM

When has Holtz ever had a good field goal kicker? It always seems like he&#39;s got a freshman walk-on?? :blink: [/quote]
They may have improved, but I was at the GA/SC game and SC had about the worst special teams I&#39;ve ever seen. I&#39;ll bet they gave up 10-15 yards of field position every time they punted. They ran that goofy spread punt formation and sometimes had the kicker roll out before he punts a line drive that rolls about 20 yards. Every kick looks like it&#39;s inches from being blocked and if you can field one of those low ducks, a good return is almost guaranteed.

You&#39;d think an old school guy like Holtz would have better special teams.

Originally posted by GAVol+Oct 26, 2004 3:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GAVol @ Oct 26, 2004 3:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by allvol@Oct 26, 2004 11:00 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-OrangeCrush18
@Oct 26, 2004 8:43 AM

When has Holtz ever had a good field goal kicker? It always seems like he&#39;s got a freshman walk-on?? :blink:

They may have improved, but I was at the GA/SC game and SC had about the worst special teams I&#39;ve ever seen. I&#39;ll bet they gave up 10-15 yards of field position every time they punted. They ran that goofy spread punt formation and sometimes had the kicker roll out before he punts a line drive that rolls about 20 yards. Every kick looks like it&#39;s inches from being blocked and if you can field one of those low ducks, a good return is almost guaranteed.

You&#39;d think an old school guy like Holtz would have better special teams. [/quote]
Yeah, i meant they run alot of gimic plays, he scares me. It&#39;s like playing your little brother on the playstation.

Horrible special teams&#33; In that UGA game they wouldn&#39;t even line up for a field goal and when they did, they ran a fake.

It looks like he has rebounded abit.

-----------------------FGA----Pct---01-19----20-29---30-39----40-49----50-99---Lg
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brown,Josh---------8-10---80.0----0-0------4-4-----2-4--------2-2------0-0----- 43

I think we need to come out throwing..SHotgun, 4 or 5 wide..we have talented wr&#39;s, so let&#39;s use them..S.C. is going to crowd the line..

Attachments

• shuler.jpg
    shuler.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Please no&#33; (See the Auburn tape.)

Ainge is not quite to the point where we can just throw it on every down without the threat of the run.

We all know that we&#39;re going to come out and try and get the run established first.I just hope we do a better job than last week.These nail-biter games are driving me to drink. :p

These nail-biter games are driving me to drink

since when did you need an excuse to drink?

Lou will pull out his bag of tricks, but November is UT&#39;s month and talent will overcome trickery..... trick or treat Lou&#33; :ph34r:

So here is the deal....with Riggs and Houston banged up they are going to have to either 1)bite the bullet and come out fired up or 2) let EA throw some short passes to start to spread the D and open up the run. Problem is right now USC defense is fired up and ready to play. On the other side USC qb&#39;s are broken and battered and going against a VOLs d that is starting to come ito its own. Man this is going to be and ugly defensive game. Make sure the boys dont come out flat or this could be an upset in the making.

GoooooOOOOOO DAWGS&#33;&#33;

A healthy O-line could really help us. Hell, let Schaeffer play tailback, he can make &#39;em miss (j/k). The offensive scheme needs to be rewritten, as in going back to what we were doing early in the season. Simple offense, and the attitude of "making up for the freshman QB&#39;s". Let&#39;s hope the Vols lay it on &#39;em. I was afraid of Summers, but UK is supposedly the worst team in the league against the run, and they only scored 12. Mistake free football, and an offense coming back up a little, and we&#39;ve got it won.

Where has it been stated that our 0-line is healthy?I still see the injury update as Cody Douglas -foot-out.

Ok i know this sound stupid But I would love the first play to be drop back and air it out. Then get into there normal offense. Even if it&#39;s jsut to get in the physcie of SC. Everybody in the country knows 95% of thetime we dive play of gaurd or tackle.

I know that Ainge is shaky of late But his Oline is back in full force everyone is on him about his accuracy. Lets give the boy some confidence right of the bat.

2 tights ends power I...send the message from play 1...we&#39;re runnin...cedric your my boy go get me some 1st downs&#33; :rocks:

we must air it out..Loose up S.C.&#39;s D, then establish the run game..We tried over and over last week to get the running game going..ANd we almost let Bama beat us

Attachments

• shuler.jpg
    shuler.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
O.k.,now I just read that Cody Douglas was cleared and will probably play Saturday.Some of these websites need to do better updating information.

Originally posted by 21VOL@Oct 28, 2004 11:28 AM
we must air it out..Loose up S.C.&#39;s D, then establish the run game.

Oh, 21, how quickly you forget. I, however, sat in misery, watching Tennessee trying to play with somebody else&#39;s playbook against Auburn. 3-and-out on the opening drive. 3 incomplete passes in a row at the Auburn 24. 5 interceptions. In the end, we dug ourselves a hole that we could never get out of. We just don&#39;t have the offensive firepower this year to rebound from the mistakes that naturally come with a high-risk, "air it out" game plan.

I&#39;m with the boys that say "Pound the Rock." Bama was tough up front and we were banged up. Provided we can patch up one of these guys, I&#39;m really not worried about our running game.

Oh, back to the field goal kicking, for comparison, here&#39;s our numbers:

FIELD GOALS FGM-FGA Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Lg Blk
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
James Wilhoit 5-10 50.0 0-0 0-0 1-1 2-6 2-3 51 0

The "40-49" category is disappointing. We&#39;ve seemed to really stall around the 30-yard line and those can be crucial. (Of course, there SHOULD be a kick in one of those short-range categories from last week, but. . . .)

Wilhoit and Colquitt both have had disappointing years compared to last year. I still think they both can make clutch kicks... Dustin booted a 50 yarder toward the end of the &#39;bama game, it wasn&#39;t pretty, but it flipped the field.

As for the running game... ole miss put up to TEN guys in the box, and people underrate &#39;bama&#39;s D. Even with that said, we ran effectively enough to win. Can we do it again this week against SC? Dunno. That&#39;s what we&#39;re looking to find out. I say with a healthier O-line, maybe a wakeup call from under 70 rushing last week, this COULD be a breakout game.

Our special teams have been up and down every week. Colquitt needs to get out of his funk and return to his all-american self. He can win games by himself, when he&#39;s on&#33;

VN Store

Back