McDonald's all-Americans

You can and should add Jada Boyd to that list she was the Top player coming out of VA that year and a five star an elite player by Dan Olson. So NC State has elite players on that team.

Was she an McD All American?

So look at her first four seasons and compare them to what Coach Harper is doing in in her first two seasons and see how many people on here are already complaining. I am almost certain if Coach Harper had done what Dawn did in her first four seasons she wouldn't get to continue to coach here. That has been my entire point to the posters here it takes time to determine where a coach is going. You can see come of the better success stories now had very rough starts.
Very true. But none of those success stories have Tennessee's history so I think expectations for the fans are on a different level.

Reactions: mcannon1 and djtee
His overall now is good although he wins with talent and sucks as a coach. He was a free throw away from losing to Tennessee Martin. Any coach that had his first six seasons at Tennessee would be fired wouldn't get a chance to continue. Holly did better than he did first six seasons and she got fired and people were calling for her to get fired three years before it happened. Also I don't know if Coach Harper can survive not winning a title in 14 seasons that might be a really tough thing to do at Tennessee.
Like I said, expectations for fans of Tennessee are different than other schools. Your last sentence proves that point.

Very true. But none of those success stories have Tennessee's history so I think expectations for the fans are on a different level.
Yet that is the problem considering where the program was taken after Coach Summitt retired expectations should be the same and that was the total point I was trying to make to the nega Vols. They and I guess you thought she could come in and recruit the top players from day one. Any competent person knew that was not going to happen and may take to year four to get those players maybe even longer.

Last edited:
Thought about her. Wasn't Watz on her bench and taking credit for her championship??

Maybe it's her personality but I like her less than even Watz...lol.

Yea, that’s like giving Holly and other assistants credit for Pat winning lol...

Naw that’s Brendas championship and she has since returned to the final 4 without him on the bench. She also won more conference championships i think

Reactions: mlindsay
Yea, that’s like giving Holly and other assistants credit for Pat winning lol...

Naw that’s Brendas championship and she has since returned to the final 4 without him on the bench. She also won more conference championships i think
She actually got everything going the right way in year four. Her first three seasons at Maryland were 40 and 41. I'm still looking for a coach that is doing great now that had success in their first three seasons.

It should. Unless Rennia just loves college enough to stay another year, or Kellie hits the lottery in the transfer portal, next year's team is in serious trouble.

Kellie got some nice complimentary pieces in recruiting, but fans here are greatly overestimating their immediate impact...
How do you know that!!!!

Reactions: Volfan2012
Yet that is the problem considering where the program was taken after Coach Summitt retired expectations should be the same and that was the total point I was trying to make to the nega Vols. They and I guess you thought she could come in and recruit the top players from day one. Any competent person knew that was not going to happen and may take to year four to get those players maybe even longer.
I never said I felt that way.

I never said I felt that way.
Well that is what the entire discussion was about with Walz early years coaching and since you brought up his entire record what was your point. He has created a very good program there. The conversation was about what he did when he started as compared to what Coach Harper has done in her first two seasons. Would he have come in and done better I say no because it takes time to recruit for a new coach especially one that has been out of D5 and spent the last few seasons with a Mid Major. I guess he could have raided Louisville's recruits and I am certain he would've done that without conscious if he could but we will never know he wasn't hired here. Just becomes very tiring for posters to run down what she has accomplished thus far and bring him up as someone that would've done better.

Reactions: Lucy
Well that is what the entire discussion was about with Walz early years coaching and since you brought up his entire record what was your point. He has created a very good program there. The conversation was about what he did when he started as compared to what Coach Harper has done in her first two seasons. Would he have come in and done better I say no because it takes time to recruit for a new coach especially one that has been out of D5 and spent the last few seasons with a Mid Major. I guess he could have raided Louisville's recruits and I am certain he would've done that without conscious if he could but we will never know he wasn't hired here. Just becomes very tiring for posters to run down what she has accomplished thus far and bring him up as someone that would've done better.
My point was in response to those dissing his coaching career. I thought I saw a few posts doing that. That's all.

Nothing about Coach Harper. She is only in her first FULL season. Let's see where she gets the program. I think we all can agree she needs to get a higher level of recruit eventually. No?

My point was in response to those dissing his coaching career. I thought I saw a few posts doing that. That's all.

Nothing about Coach Harper. She is only in her first FULL season. Let's see where she gets the program. I think we all can agree she needs to get a higher level of recruit eventually. No?
I was dissing his first few seasons as a coach. The reason because she is constantly be dissed in her second season. Of course she has to but not in season two not even three or four if she follows the pattern of the coaches that took over programs that are successful today. I think a class ranked in the top 15 in every service and 9 in one is headed in the right direction in season two.

Reactions: PRG
I was dissing his first few seasons as a coach. The reason because she is constantly be dissed in her second season. Of course she has to but not in season two not even three or four if she follows the pattern of the coaches that took over programs that are successful today. I think a class ranked in the top 15 in every service and 9 in one is headed in the right direction in season two.
Totally agree. Right direction.

I agree with you it`s headed in the right direction, The point most are making to get back to the Final Four or win another Title KJH must start bring in some top elite players and only time will tell.

Reactions: lfvol
I agree with you it`s headed in the right direction, The point most are making to get back to the Final Four or win another Title KJH must start bring in some top elite players and only time will tell.
That is where we disagree as I think a couple players in the next class are elite because I think any player ranked in the top fifty can be elite.

The problems associated with "rock star" coaches is that (1)they are expensive; (2) they are expensive; and (3) they are expensive.

Evidently the fans have higher expectations for immediate success than does the administration, judging by the amount of money expended to sign a "big name" coach. The names always mentioned were either never going to leave their established programs, have since retired, or would have asked for far more than the university was willing to pay.

And Texas found out when they hired Goestenkors that getting a "rock star" coach didn't guarantee success.

That is where we disagree as I think a couple players in the next class are elite because I think any player ranked in the top fifty can be elite.

And yes your are correct and you know well as i know the SEC now has become the powerhouse conference.

VN Store

Back