McCoy, McCoy, McCoy... a perspective

As the creator of the threadlaid out McCoy has played very little.

Because she can't stay healthy. She came to Tennessee with an extensive history of injuries and made it through... one game... before she suffered another injury. It's not her fault, but it's very hard to depend on a player like that...

Reactions: GameTime
This post is just an informer. I’ve seen many out of context post and misinformation about her spread so I thought this was deserving.

Jaiden has had a rough time since the season started. When your coach says the main thing your missing from your game is playing time, it’s hard to “figure it out” when you don’t get that time against the cupcakes, when you want to win. This post explains why/how she’s missed and why Kellie still believes in her.

Of our 12 non-conference games she was only physically able to play in 8 which really becomes 6 when you account for the fact that she played hurt for 4 mins @ Notre Dame (Hand injury) and 3 mins vs Texas (Eye Injury/Illness).

She was out for the following: Central Arkansas hand. TSU hand. Stetson hand. Air Force FLU (was bedridden at her Knoxville home for 5 days and did not practice the week leading up to Texas.)

Note: I don’t know about you, but nearly 2 weeks on no practice, running, etc. after having an energy draining illness may take you out of basketball shape; Let alone D1 SEC basketball shape.*

*see previous out-of-shape disappointment posts in other threads

The last game she entered to that point was Colorado State, which was the LVs last game before finals, an NCAA dead period.

Effectively Jaiden only had 1 week (8 hours | 4 skill : 4 conditioning) of practice before their final trip to the NorthWest which didn’t bode well for our LVs. Obviously, while on the trip they would not be working out/conditioning to the same level they could’ve been if on campus. Stanford is not exactly the game you get to just go work on things (until the end when she did play), and we played poorly most of the game vs a pushover Portland State team that also did not provide a great opportunity until late to “get it going”

TIMELINE:

ETSU (started like preseason)
CEN-AR (did not play/ hand)
ND (played out of necessity w/ cast 4mins.)
TSU (out w/ hand)
STET (out w/ hand)
ARK-PB (played 14 mins. first full-week practice w/ no cast)**
**Catches Flu day after ARK-PB, leaves campus later that week.
AF (did not play, was not at game at all)**
**Returns to practice 3 days before TEX, gets cut on eye
TEX (played out of necessity 3mins.)
**First Full week practice
CO-ST (played 10 mins)
Finals week- NCAA dead period.
Travel To NorWest
#1 STAN (played after blowout 9 mins)
POR-ST (played 8 mins, hangover bad game)
HOW (played 15 mins, last non-con)
SEC CONFERENCE PLAY
(games you’re not trying to learn anymore)

By this point the team had formed an identity and we quickly were heading into conference play, which you can all agree is 10x more challenging than our non-conference schedule. She obviously wouldn’t be anywhere near ready for it.

Keep in mind Jaiden started all preseason and @ ETSU.

On her current PT situation. All conference games are MUST WIN, no more time to hope someone “figures it out.” PT is based on what has been shown until the win is certain. (See Kellie’s “3-5-8 minute players” comment for how PT will be distributed) They are trying to get her as much time as possible now within the amount of time “3-5-8 minute thing” she’ll be effective. And hopefully she moves up in minutes and effectiveness.

According to Kellie, McCoy understands her system the best and is consistently the most physical girl on the team. She also added that Jaiden’s only problem this year is the missed PT against cupcakes for the experience at this level mostly, but also the chemistry the team had been building. She is playing now because she does what is wanted/needed out of her consistently in practice and the fact that Kellie must believe she’s our best bet for depth.

In short, McCoy has run into a little bad luck. She was a very good JC player before committing to the Lady Vols. I highly doubt that KJH would have recruited her without believing that McCoy had the potential to play at the D1 level. It believe it would be a disservice to complain about her playing until she has the time to get it together, I believe that as the season goes on she will be productive.

Very Fair.

I agree for this year she won’t see more than that unless we face another Ole Miss or favorable matchup for her to go in.

However we’re losing Lou and Kam next year and have no 4 coming in or on the team to replace the mobile “big” spot. All the time this year will pay off next.

I agree we seem to be figuring the system out. But as most on here have noted our depth still hasn’t. I’d still place her right outside of the starters.

Obviously I have a different opinion of her play than most. But I do feel Kellie believes she’ll be pretty important in the future. More than a 5-10 a game

I take pretty much everything here lightly, but this is something I’ve followed closely and thought would be interesting or at least informative to those whose can’t visualize how her season has gone to share. Because this group obviously loves the LVs a little extra

The fact of the matter is, none of us know the future. We can only deal with the here and now. KK, and:eek:r McCoy could develop into lights out players, which at this point I doubt. As mentioned previously, KJH needs to take a serious look at good JC players, graduate transfers and players in the portal who can play immediately. Especially considering the fact she wants to consistently run players in and out of the lineup, She will need to recruit players that fit that style. Right now we do not have the horses to effectively run that style of play.

Reactions: djtee
The fact of the matter is, none of us know the future. We can only deal with the here and now. KK, and:eek:r McCoy could develop into lights out players, which at this point I doubt. As mentioned previously, KJH needs to take a serious look at good JC players, graduate transfers and players in the portal who can play immediately. Especially considering the fact she wants to consistently run players in and out of the lineup, She will need to recruit players that fit that style. Right now we do not have the horses to effectively run that style of play.

Also i think if KJH can get KK into real good shape after the season will be good. That way KK can move to the 4 and Saunders can back Key up at the 5 ?

a recent thread was entitled "no drama" unfortunately IMO this board has respondents who focus on creating drama on areas of weakness or players who do not have elite athletic ability. Nearly every year a segment of boarders select a player who they deem open to their professional negative scrutiny. (read any sports message board and you will find same - damning with faint praise) Last year Mimi Collins had several months of such scrutiny as one recent example.

As the creator of the threadlaid out McCoy has played very little. She is playing a new position in a new scheme. KJH stated she has learned the system and is a vocal teammate.

article on her signing ttps://www.rockytopinsider.com/2019/05/14/lady-vols-make-another-addition-to-roster/

I wouldn’t call discussing player’s ability “drama.” That’s a normal part of sport and being a fan. We all make observations and comment on them. These women are playing in televised games for a major division 1 program with a storied past. They are going to be analyzed, commented upon and compared to others. That’s a normal part of being an athlete. If you can’t handle minor criticism about your game you’ve got bigger problems.

I always try to keep posts describing any inadequacies succinct and professional. But I do like to give honest feedback on what I feel I’m seeing. I make far more positive posts about players than negative ones. I find that people are more concerned about discussing individual performance in women’s sports compared to men’s. It’s part of the game.

We can only evaluate based on what we have seen, in Jaiden’s case, that isn’t much. I’m not inclined to believe she can contribute at this level until we see it with our own eyes.

VolBall09 - I cannot disagree that in 2020 we are in an era that criticism upto and including character assiniation occurs daily throughout the political and social media. As a recent example reread some of the posts about the former coach; on DeShields, on Dunbar, on Westbrook - what is the place in the sand where professional criticism of sports is crossed; civility is lost and uglyness prevails.

you are a poster I read regularly and my commments were not directed. (at you or anyone specifically.

However, to follow the gest of your post - I equally have the right to point out what I believe ishonest feedback on what I feel I am reading re posts on the LVs. I should also include i have had similar thoughts on some parents' verbal remarks at beginning baseball and soccer games. (smile)

Recruits are victims of such, non informed, expert analysis. Some of them just have no couth. A certain poster has such a hyper critical analysis of incoming freshman Darby. She plays a low level, small school division, has brilliant numbers. Many players step up even more against talented players. Let her play before judging a 17 yr old talented high school players.

In short, McCoy has run into a little bad luck. She was a very good JC player before committing to the Lady Vols. I highly doubt that KJH would have recruited her without believing that McCoy had the potential to play at the D1 level. It believe it would be a disservice to complain about her playing until she has the time to get it together, I believe that as the season goes on she will be productive.
I guess under that belief, Pat should of benched Parker after dislocating her shoulder a second time against A&M in semi-finals, and not player her in finals.🧐

Jaiden has shown that she is tough and strong and confident and capable enough to make it impossible for Kellie to continue letting her wilt on the bench. She is, BY FAR, our most mobile, adaptable post, and I hope Kellie decides to put all her chips on number 15 for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
And just so folks know, I’m not suggesting that Tamari Key be relegated to the end of the bench. She and Jaiden are BOTH important players, and we definitely need Key’s shot blocking talent on the floor. But Kasi needs to make some kind of adjustment, either physical or mental (or both) before she can be trusted with as many minutes as she’d been getting.

And just so folks know, I’m not suggesting that Tamari Key be relegated to the end of the bench. She and Jaiden are BOTH important players, and we definitely need Key’s shot blocking talent on the floor. But Kasi needs to make some kind of adjustment, either physical or mental (or both) before she can be trusted with as many minutes as she’d been getting.
I’m just glad to see my long post aging well as of now. But in all seriousness, the way she playing now is what we have needed so bad. I love seeing players who make the other teams post actually work, and we haven’t seen that from ours all year. Key will get there for sure too

Reactions: lvocd
I’m just glad to see my long post aging well as of now. But in all seriousness, the way she playing now is what we have needed so bad. I love seeing players who make the other teams post actually work, and we haven’t seen that from ours all year. Key will get there for sure too

She was instrumental today

The McCoy we saw in the LSU game is probably the player Coach Harper was seeing in practice to start the season. I really think her injuries set her back, and she is just starting to get back into the flow of things. I know it was oh so long ago but there is a reason McCoy was a starter at the beginning of the season. I think we will start seeing a lot more Key and McCoy on the floor together. McCoy is a bruiser but we still need Key’s shot blocking ability on the floor. Together that could be a very good combination. I’m truly enjoying watching this team grow this season.

The McCoy we saw in the LSU game is probably the player Coach Harper was seeing in practice to start the season. I really think her injuries set her back, and she is just starting to get back into the flow of things. I know it was oh so long ago but there is a reason McCoy was a starter at the beginning of the season. I think we will start seeing a lot more Key and McCoy on the floor together. McCoy is a bruiser but we still need Key’s shot blocking ability on the floor. Together that could be a very good combination. I’m truly enjoying watching this team grow this season.

Ditto your post.

I think a McCoy (high post)-Key (low post) combo could quickly evolve into a nightmare for opposing coaches. McCoy has amazingly quick footspeed for a player with her build, and Tamari Key prowling the low post in wait for her next swat is going to alter a LOT of coaches’ plans to beat our guards at the top and just drive the lane for a layup. Throw Lou Brown into the mix, too, and we’re going to be tough in the paint. I’m so excited! I think people underestimate how vital it has been to our success so far that we’ve had Lou finding opportunities to get us possessions by taking charges EVERY game. She is a warrior, and absolutely the smartest player we’ve had in many years.

Remember how Griner used to alter shot after shot after shot, sending many of those hapless shots into the stands? With Key coming in on the help-side, she is our version of Griner. I love getting to yell, “GET THAT WEAK STUFF OUTTA HERE!!!” every time Key or Jaz or Jordan sends one out. :D:D:D

Last edited:
Ditto your post.

I think a McCoy (high post)-Key (low post) combo could quickly evolve into a nightmare for opposing coaches. McCoy has amazingly quick footspeed for a player with her build, and Tamari Key prowling the low post in wait for her next swat is going to alter a LOT of coaches’ plans to beat our guards at the top and just drive the lane for a layup. Throw Lou Brown into the mix, too, and we’re going to be tough in the paint. I’m so excited! I think people underestimate how vital it has been to our success so far that we’ve had Lou finding opportunities to get us possessions by taking charges EVERY game. She is a warrior, and absolutely the smartest player we’ve had in many years.

Remember how Griner used to alter shot after shot after shot, sending many of those hapless shots into the stands? With Key coming in on the help-side, she is our version of Griner. I love getting to yell, “GET THAT WEAK STUFF OUTTA HERE!!!” every time Key or Jaz or Jordan sends one out. :D:D:D

Lou has such a high basketball IQ. She does all the little things. To think she is doing all of this on one good leg. She’s definitely a warrior and one of my favorite Lady Vols. She’s not flashy and doesn’t score alot of points, but she’s that player you can’t help but to love because she brings it every night 😀

Recruits are victims of such, non informed, expert analysis. Some of them just have no couth. A certain poster has such a hyper critical analysis of incoming freshman Darby. She plays a low level, small school division, has brilliant numbers. Many players step up even more against talented players. Let her play before judging a 17 yr old talented high school players.

I agree, give the young lady a chance. Just because Darby does not have a bunch of stars behind her name, does not mean she will be a bad player. I look at how KJH took low level players and developed them into players that had the ability to beat D1 talent. Development is the key, even with multiple star athletes.

Reactions: jeebie and lvocd
Tamari and Jaiden should play together like the Baylor duo, Smith and Cox.

Reactions: lvocd and gule
Tamari and Jaiden should play together like the Baylor duo, Smith and Cox.

KK needs strength training, improve her endurance and to be developed. The prior coaching staff appeared to be strong on recruitment but weak on development. It appears that Harris has some good basketball skills, but why wasn’t that developed by the prior staff. I have reviewed some of her high school play on utub, and she was a shot blocker and she protected the paint very well, however, the prior staff treated her like she was just a body. I believe if she had been developed right, she would be very good player.

Reactions: gule

VN Store

Back