Maybe it's me

I think he is likely “the man” this year. That’s why we will be a 7-5 team. Because he doesn’t have the capacity to overcome our other shortcomings. I don’t hate the guy. I hope he proves me wrong. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see Maurer mid-season either.
We won’t be a 7-5 (or worse) team because of him. It’ll be because our roster is still comprised of only about 40% legit SEC players who can compete with the Georgias and Floridas (and Vandys).

Can you not see past your dislike of the kid to see that 90% of the issue on offense last year was the worst OL in program history. For crying out loud, our OL went into the 4th quarter vs Charlotte with -6 yards rushing. No QB nor any RB can do ish behind an OL like that.....yet, in case you missed it, they put up a graphic yesterday during the game showing that JG was the best QB vs pressure in the SEC last year and one of the best in the country. You gonna acknowledge that or just write it off as some set of meaningless stats?....I’m certain I already know the answer.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll stick by it. Tennessee, if the offensive line will take a big step forward and just become average, can win a lot of games this year with JG as its QB...that’s all that needs to change. Defense and running backs and TEs and WRs need to get better....but if they all are the same and ONLY the OL improves significantly, Tennessee will win a lot more games with JG under center.

JG is the QB...better get used to it or don't watch...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: KBVol
We won’t be a 7-5 (or worse) team because of him. It’ll be because our roster is still comprised of only about 40% legit SEC players who can compete with the Georgias and Floridas (and Vandys).

Can you not see past your dislike of the kid to see that 90% of the issue on offense last year was the worst OL in program history. For crying out loud, our OL went into the 4th quarter vs Charlotte with -6 yards rushing. No QB nor any RB can do ish behind an OL like that.....yet, in case you missed it, they put up a graphic yesterday during the game showing that JG was the best QB vs pressure in the SEC last year and one of the best in the country. You gonna acknowledge that or just write it off as some set of meaningless stats?....I’m certain I already know the answer.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll stick by it. Tennessee, if the offensive line will take a big step forward and just become average, can win a lot of games this year with JG as its QB...that’s all that needs to change. Defense and running backs and TEs and WRs need to get better....but if they all are the same and ONLY the OL improves significantly, Tennessee will win a lot more games with JG under center.
I do agree that a huge part of our teams problem was poor o-line play. Perhaps you can now agree that that it was often exacerbated by JGs lack of quick decision-making and knowledge of where to go with the ball when pressure inevitably appeared.

Listen, maybe JG is a high quality QB. Maybe it was the o-line’s fault. Maybe it was the offensive play calling. Maybe it was the WRs failure to get open. Or, maybe he just isn’t that good. For the life of me, I don’t understand why this possibility is so offensive to some of you, but maybe, just maybe, he’s part of the problem.

Guarantano looked significantly better than either one of them. Not saying they were bad, but still he was better. Maurer also looked better than Shrout, who had the worst day of the 3.

Shrout will be passed by Maurer before the season starts.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
He’s definitely an SEC QB....how good of an SEC QB is the question. Not awful, not great. Flashes of brilliance sometimes, poor play at other times. You may want him to be Tua or Murray or Fromm but he ain’t those guys. He’s also not the pathetic, non-SEC QB guys like you say he is. He’s somewhere in the middle, and you better hope he improves parts of his game like I do, ‘cause he’s the man this year barring some bad injury. And anyone with a modicum of intellectual honesty can see that.
He's really not but he is the best QB we have on the roster right now until the young guys can get better...We really don't have any other options except to start a freshman who isn't ready and that would be more of a disaster than what we got now...Just gonna have to ride it out and hope for the best.

Wait, are you actually saying JG is going to be a Heisman candidate? You owe me a new phone, because I just spit coffee all over mine.

Yes. I expect him to catch fire and shock the world. By getting rid of the ball faster like he did against Auburn would have helped in some other games.

I also expect CJC to help with that with the play calls.

How many times did the call have him standing in the pocket waiting for a route to develop all the while our Oline was letting the defense run free at him? I expect an improvement there too.

Shrout will be passed by Maurer before the season starts.

How? Lol Maurer had 2 interceptions, Shrout had none and threw for more yards. Shrout also threw for the only touchdown for the Orange team. Dunno how he had the worst day of the 3? You people in the FF kill me lol....

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Yes. I expect him to catch fire and shock the world. By getting rid of the ball faster like he did against Auburn would have helped in some other games.

I also expect CJC to help with that with the play calls.

How many times did the call have him standing in the pocket waiting for a route to develop all the while our Oline was letting the defense run free at him? I expect an improvement there too.
STONED.

How? Lol Maurer had 2 interceptions, Shrout had none and threw for more yards. Shrout also threw for the only touchdown for the Orange team. Dunno how he had the worst day of the 3? You people in the FF kill me lol....
Shrout just never looked comfortable back there. Very inconsistent with accuracy, but made good decisions overall I thought. Had that one beautiful pass in the first quarter. He wasn't terrible, but Maurer made some plays that I thought really showed his potential. He also threw two interceptions, and made some other questionable decisions as well.

I do agree that a huge part of our teams problem was poor o-line play. Perhaps you can now agree that that it was often exacerbated by JGs lack of quick decision-making and knowledge of where to go with the ball when pressure inevitably appeared.

Listen, maybe JG is a high quality QB. Maybe it was the o-line’s fault. Maybe it was the offensive play calling. Maybe it was the WRs failure to get open. Or, maybe he just isn’t that good. For the life of me, I don’t understand why this possibility is so offensive to some of you, but maybe, just maybe, he’s part of the problem.
I’ve never said JG is a great QB, he’s not. But they guys who get on here and call him awful or THE REASON why Tennessee was awful last year....sorry man, it ain’t true and I’m gonna defend the kid, especially when he was our best offensive player last year.....we don’t win the 5 games that we did without him last year.

Now, does he need to get better in some aspects, particularly with a better sense of urgency and pace/quickness when delivering the ball at times? Yes. But guys need to be fair to this kid who took an absolute beating last year while trying to make plays for his team while the incompetent slappies in front of him either couldn’t, wouldn’t, or just refused to do their jobs. JG ain’t great, but he gives everything he has for the program, including literally his physical health and I think he deserves, at minimum, a fair, balanced critique.....not just “he sucks and is the sole reason we sucked last year and will continue to suck”.....it’s just not true.

Reactions: FïreBall
I’ve never said JG is a great QB, he’s not. But they guys who get on here and call him awful or THE REASON why Tennessee was awful last year....sorry man, it ain’t true and I’m gonna defend the kid, especially when he was our best offensive player last year.....we don’t win the 5 games that we did without him last year.

Now, does he need to get better in some aspects, particularly with a better sense of urgency and pace/quickness when delivering the ball at times? Yes. But guys need to be fair to this kid who took an absolute beating last year while trying to make plays for his team while the incompetent slappies in front of him either couldn’t, wouldn’t, or just refused to do their jobs. JG ain’t great, but he gives everything he has for the program, including literally his physical health and I think he deserves, at minimum, a fair, balanced critique.....not just “he sucks and is the sole reason we sucked last year and will continue to suck”.....it’s just not true.
I think it’s hilarious how the JG defenders feel perfectly comfortable crapping all over the other offensive players in an effort to shield JG. In doing so, they will overlook to held balls, the failure to read obvious blitzes, the underthrows, the out of bounds throws, etc. All because they feel the QB isn’t treated fairly by being ridiculed. I tend to believe they all were pretty bad and all had responsibility. But somehow, JG is canonized for spending much of the games on his back, and absolved of nearly all responsibility in that.

I think it’s hilarious how the JG defenders feel perfectly comfortable crapping all over the other offensive players in an effort to shield JG. In doing so, they will overlook to held balls, the failure to read obvious blitzes, the underthrows, the out of bounds throws, etc. All because they feel the QB isn’t treated fairly by being ridiculed. I tend to believe they all were pretty bad and all had responsibility. But somehow, JG is canonized for spending much of the games on his back, and absolved of nearly all responsibility in that.
Why don’t you call out the RBs for not being able to gain yards? Is it their fault? No it’s not. It was the o-line.

Reactions: FïreBall
But Is CJC show casing JT Shrout.s arm? More pass plays with JT than JG.... Maybe I'm over thinking it but man what a crisp release and rifle arm. I think there might be something in the works that may not sit well with JG. I'm a huge JG supporter but JT looks the part...... Onh my word this will cause a melt down on the board but JT looks the part, I understand it's 2's on 2's but CJC is letting him throw the ball more...... Maybe I'm over thinking this.......talk me off the ledge
It is you. He threw some nice balls and made some bad mistakes. I've intentionally remained open minded on Shrout and Maurer. But if all you have to look at is yesterday's scrimmage, Maurer would be the back up IMO.

Even with his issues, JG is the #1 by a decent margin. That can change in the next 4 months... but it isn't very likely.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Why don’t you call out the RBs for not being able to gain yards? Is it their fault? No it’s not. It was the o-line.
It was partly their fault.

And you evaded the point. None of JG's critics that I've seen (even those I think are just trolling) claim the OL was great or was not a big problem. There were issues across the offense last year. I'll give you an RB one. Jordan gives up and flattens out too soon. D's bait him to the corner then stretch him out for minimal yardage. That has been mentioned by coaches as well iirc.

The thing is... you can criticize the OL all you want and you won't find anyone who reacts with anger and denial. You can criticize WR's and you may get some push back but no one will claim they don't have significant room to improve. UT's TE's didn't scare anyone blocking or receiving last year... you're not likely to hear anyone upset by that.

BUT.... criticize JG and there are a group of you who just lose your minds.

@k-town_king has spent the better part of the last 6 or 8 months calling me a liar and telling me how stupid I am for saying that JG takes too long to make decisions and get the ball out; That contributing to that is his inability to make good pre-snap reads. Did you listen to the broadcast yesterday? The repeating them was that he doesn't make decisions quickly enough and needs to get the ball out faster. The young guys made mistakes but on the whole didn't hold the ball too long. Pruitt was hacked off at half time because "the QB's" were holding the ball too long. Maybe you folks will believe it more now since the media "experts" have repeated that theme from the coaches?

And you evaded the point. None of JG's critics that I've seen (even those I think are just trolling) claim the OL was great or was not a big problem. There were issues across the offense last year. I'll give you an RB one. Jordan gives up and flattens out too soon. D's bait him to the corner then stretch him out for minimal yardage. That has been mentioned by coaches as well iirc.

The thing is... you can criticize the OL all you want and you won't find anyone who reacts with anger and denial. You can criticize WR's and you may get some push back but no one will claim they don't have significant room to improve. UT's TE's didn't scare anyone blocking or receiving last year... you're not likely to hear anyone upset by that.

@k-town_king has spent the better part of the last 6 or 8 months calling me a liar and telling me how stupid I am for saying that JG takes too long to make decisions and get the ball out; That contributing to that is his inability to make good pre-snap reads. Did you listen to the broadcast yesterday? The repeating them was that he doesn't make decisions quickly enough and needs to get the ball out faster. The young guys made mistakes but on the whole didn't hold the ball too long. Pruitt was hacked off at half time because "the QB's" were holding the ball too long. Maybe you folks will believe it more now since the media "experts" have repeated that theme from the coaches?
That’s a fair assessment. The problem I have with the criticizem of JG is the idea that we were bad because of him. Or he doesn’t know how to read a defense. Or we will never win with him. What we know is that he has taken untimely sacks that he should have avoided. Other than that we have no idea what he was allowed to do or change. Nor do we know why he was or wasn’t allowed to make his own decisions. What we do know about the o-line is they were really bad. That’s where it starts. If the coaches can fix the o-line problems we will then find out about the QBs, WRs and RBs.

But Is CJC show casing JT Shrout.s arm? More pass plays with JT than JG.... Maybe I'm over thinking it but man what a crisp release and rifle arm. I think there might be something in the works that may not sit well with JG. I'm a huge JG supporter but JT looks the part...... Onh my word this will cause a melt down on the board but JT looks the part, I understand it's 2's on 2's but CJC is letting him throw the ball more...... Maybe I'm over thinking this.......talk me off the ledge
Why are you on a ledge?
Why would your post cause a meltdown?

B7F2F2F2-C57F-43C8-B9DA-7AC246553171.gif

That’s a fair assessment. The problem I have with the criticizem of JG is the idea that we were bad because of him.
He was part of why the O was bad.

Or he doesn’t know how to read a defense.
He doesn't read D's well which contributes to him being slow to make decisions. He looked better in the 2nd half of the scrimmage. But it was mentioned repeatedly that his decisions need to be quicker. That's ultimately a function of making good, confident, quick reads.

Or we will never win with him.
UT will be limited unless he improves from last year. That's also true of the OL. Slightly less true of the RB's and TE's. and only slightly true of the WR's.

What we know is that he has taken untimely sacks that he should have avoided. Other than that we have no idea what he was allowed to do or change. Nor do we know why he was or wasn’t allowed to make his own decisions.
Know? No. But coaches don't usually disallow players from doing parts of their job that if done well would make the team considerably better.

What we do know about the o-line is they were really bad. That’s where it starts.
I'm not trying to insult you... but a QB who is indecisive and doesn't read blitzes well and doesn't hit hot receivers and doesn't manage the pocket well... can just as easily make an OL look bad as an OL that misses assignments can make a QB look bad. Pruitt mentioned that too before halftime yesterday... something concerning the pocket not being managed well.

If the coaches can fix the o-line problems we will then find out about the QBs, WRs and RBs.
A few years back... UT had a Simms at QB. People were trashing the OL left and right. They took shots at Simms too but "How was he supposed to play behind such a terrible OL?" Then mid season, UT begins starting Bray. Bray was coached up by Chaney above all things to get the ball out. Suddenly... lo and behold... the OL didn't suck so bad any more.

An indecisive QB can make an OL look MUCH worse than it actually is.

VN Store

Back