Maurer vs. Shrout vs. JG (merged)

It's almost like he was so used to playing under pressure now that the O-line has improved he has time and thinks to much about what he's doing. Whatever the reason, I agree he needs to be benched.
He created as much pressure on himself by being slow as the OL did. Late in the season, they weren't horrible at pass blocking... he was still SLOOOOOOOWWWWW.

Yea, yea, yea. He has shown he can do all of that already.
No, liar, he hasn't. Pretty much everyone BUT YOU recognizes that he processes too slow and is too cautious (lacks confidence).

The other two look and are far behind. They definitely have not shown anywhere near the ability to read a d or make the correct pass on time.
Wrong again. Off target? Yes. Make some mistakes? Yes. Be indecisive? No. Too afraid to take appropriate risks? No.

JG is really a bad QB. I wish it weren't true. But you have no one else to blame now. The OL is doing a better job... and they weren't that bad at pass pro last year when you account for him being so slow. He just doesn't "get it". It is really too bad. He put in the effort. The coaches made a commitment to him.... and apparently his head just doesn't work that way.

JG is better than the other two. We will see what happens when Bailey arrives.
You keep saying that as if it makes a point. It doesn't. What matters is how good he is compared to how good he needs to be AND whether he's hit his ceiling or not. He is not as good as he needs to be... and he has apparently hit his ceiling.

Neither of the other two are as good as they need to be. But the real question is if they start getting the starter's reps in practice and Chaney starts modifying the O to their skill sets, can they be better than JG. We don't know. What we KNOW is that JG isn't good enough which makes the risk worth taking with one of the other two.

But will you FINALLY accept the truth? Undoubtedly you won't.

Last edited:
JG is second worst in the SEC after Hicks in Arkansas in time to throw. He averages 2.51 seconds to throw. Someone actually good at reading D's takes much less. From delivers in 2.08 seconds. Tua in 2.15 s. Burrow in 2.41 s.

It isn't surprising that the QB's for the two worst teams in the SEC... are the guys who can't make decisions and get the ball out on time.

Reactions: theFallGuy

The other two look and are far behind. They definitely have not shown anywhere near the ability to read a d or make the correct pass on time.

JG is better than the other two. We will see what happens when Bailey arrives.

They should be far behind, but aren’t...

4 games into his 4TH YEAR...JG is replaced by a guy who’s played 3 series of college football ever...

He’s has a propensity for not doing the things necessary to be a winning college QB in the SEC...or the Sun Belt...

Time to turn the page...

UT has the 5th LEAST drops so far this year. About 20.5% of JG's passes this year have been "uncatchable". Almost 10% of his passes have been "interceptible".

JG's "pressure" % is 19%.... Tua's is 23%.

Random thoughts:

1) Did y'all notice how crisp and accurate JG was when he was flushed from the pocket and threw that beautiful sideline pass on a rope? He didn't have time to think. Just reacted. Contrast that with the overthrow of DWA and the interception that followed shortly after, when he had plenty of time.

2) Hit me yesterday that it's not JGs fault that there's not a more prepared quarterback option on the team right now. To me it's very clear that he doesn't want to be out there and he would benefit from some time off. He could even be dealing with depression or anxiety and really need a break, but can't get it because there's not another option in the coach's mind. That would certainly escalate his descent, and be very unhealthy for him personally. Just speculating on possibilities here.

3) Long shot, but Fulmer may have had a backup plan in mind when he approved all that money for Chaney. He may have already been getting an idea that Pruitt was teetering on the brink. May be planning ahead for a potential coaching search after all, thinking he could elevate Chaney and let him audition for the job the way USC/Helton, Matt Luke, and I think LSU/Orgeron have done the last few years. That buys him time to find the best coach long-term and takes the heat off the urgent search.

JG is last among SEC starters in % of passes that result in a 1st down.

How many times last year and this season did we see JG throw to his check down man at or behind the LOS on third and long in the first 4 games and all of last year? South Carolina literally sat back and let him throw 8-yard passes all night on 3rd and 10+ because they knew he wouldn't take a shot downfield and convert.

That sort of decision making is cancer to offensive momentum in a football game.

Random thoughts:

1) Did y'all notice how crisp and accurate JG was when he was flushed from the pocket and threw that beautiful sideline pass on a rope? He didn't have time to think. Just reacted. Contrast that with the overthrow of DWA and the interception that followed shortly after, when he had plenty of time.
Yes. I have often wondered why they didn't convert him into a roll out QB. My guess is that when you do that your QB has to run if nothing is open. JG isn't a good runner and risks getting hurt.

But to your point, I imagine that is the kind of thing that has always made his coaches optimistic that they could speed him up.

2) Hit me yesterday that it's not JGs fault that there's not a more prepared quarterback option on the team right now.
No one suggested it was.
To me it's very clear that he doesn't want to be out there and he would benefit from some time off.
That's pretty easy if true. But I suspect it isn't. Give him credit. The kid has heart. He may not have a head for the game... but he keeps on getting up.

He could even be dealing with depression or anxiety and really need a break, but can't get it because there's not another option in the coach's mind. That would certainly escalate his descent, and be very unhealthy for him personally. Just speculating on possibilities here.
I don't doubt he's broken. He has always been pretty fragile in his confidence apparently. Did you ever see "The Replacements" and hear Falco talking about being in quick sand? I think that's where JG is. Problem is that few ever climb out of it and especially not without a change of venue.

3) Long shot, but Fulmer may have had a backup plan in mind when he approved all that money for Chaney. He may have already been getting an idea that Pruitt was teetering on the brink. May be planning ahead for a potential coaching search after all, thinking he could elevate Chaney and let him audition for the job the way USC/Helton, Matt Luke, and I think LSU/Orgeron have done the last few years. That buys him time to find the best coach long-term and takes the heat off the urgent search.
Could be but personally I think Chaney is a self-aware guy who realizes he's not HC material. Weinke or Tee maybe?

But I don't really think Fulmer was thinking he would be in this kind of mess with Pruitt. No one expected GSU and few expected BYU.

Fulmer DOES have some micromanager traits to him. It is possible he'd pull an Alvarez and start dictating some coaching decisions. IIRC, the said Alvarez even called down to the field during games as AD to suggest play calls.

How many times last year and this season did we see JG throw to his check down man at or behind the LOS on third and long in the first 4 games and all of last year? South Carolina literally sat back and let him throw 8-yard passes all night on 3rd and 10+ because they knew he wouldn't take a shot downfield and convert.

That sort of decision making is cancer to offensive momentum in a football game.
I think everyone has figured that out. That's how GSU won imo.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Did you ever see "The Replacements" and hear Falco talking about being in quick sand? I think that's where JG is. Problem is that few ever climb out of it and especially not without a change of venue.

HAVE I SEEN THE REPLACEMENTS?!?!?!? That's like asking me if I think God should bless America....

Of course, and a lot.

And yes Falco's quicksand is a great analogy here. Especially love the Tony Robinson-based thread in that movie.

JG was a very efficient runner in HS, at least he was in the film I have seen of him. It may be that because he is ahead of the other scholarship QBs, they don't want he to get injured. We scored 38 points in the first half and only 7 in the second half of the UTC game. JG played the entire first half. He only played one or two series in the second half and people still can not see who is our best QB. There is not very much logic being demonstrated by some posters.

Not a fair comparison, second half was with 2nd and third string players all over the field. True comparison is with all 1st string players in the game. We have not seen enough of either of back ups to be able to see how good they are or can be.

Lmao

Haskins was a top pick. Hurts may be a top ten pick. Eason will be a top ten pick. The other guys have been starting except when injured

You're right Haskins was a top, however the very next two guys you mentioned proved my point. Both of those guys are at different schools then where they originally signed.
The QB competition thru recruiting got better at other schools where when someone got hurt / or had a bad game they lost their spot.

TN has a redshirt Junior QB, then a RS freshman, and true Freshman. IMO, I don't think CJP wants to name a true #2 because he wants to make sure he has a QB Battle next year with Harrison Bailey coming in.

Then Pruitt is making a big mistake. Jg should have been benched in the first game of the season, or even sooner

JG was a very efficient runner in HS, at least he was in the film I have seen of him. It may be that because he is ahead of the other scholarship QBs, they don't want he to get injured. We scored 38 points in the first half and only 7 in the second half of the UTC game. JG played the entire first half. He only played one or two series in the second half and people still can not see who is our best QB. There is not very much logic being demonstrated by some posters.
And "people" continue to ask the wrong question. JG has reached a point due to playing time and attempts to develop him that is currently above the other two. Few if any dispute that. The problem is that he's hit his ceiling well below what he needs to be in order for him to be a good QB. They tried to expand the O and his responsibilities. Chaney, Tee, and Weinke haves spent months trying to get him to a point of making good, quick decisions. It just didn't work. This season has exposed those weaknesses even more than they were when just a few of us saw them.

So the choice isn't between a guy who is getting it done and two guys who are unknowns. The choice is between a guy who isn't getting it done and two unknowns who may have higher ceilings.

You also ignore a few things. One is that he got away with stuff vs UTC that doesn't work against a good opponent... and that his lack of confidence and leadership are fragmenting the offense. There's no trust or cohesion. He's not likely the only problem.... but the QB position is prerequisite to having trust and cohesion.

And "people" continue to ask the wrong question. JG has reached a point due to playing time and attempts to develop him that is currently above the other two. Few if any dispute that. The problem is that he's hit his ceiling well below what he needs to be in order for him to be a good QB. They tried to expand the O and his responsibilities. Chaney, Tee, and Weinke haves spent months trying to get him to a point of making good, quick decisions. It just didn't work. This season has exposed those weaknesses even more than they were when just a few of us saw them.

So the choice isn't between a guy who is getting it done and two guys who are unknowns. The choice is between a guy who isn't getting it done and two unknowns who may have higher ceilings.

You also ignore a few things. One is that he got away with stuff vs UTC that doesn't work against a good opponent... and that his lack of confidence and leadership are fragmenting the offense. There's no trust or cohesion. He's not likely the only problem.... but the QB position is prerequisite to having trust and cohesion.
The QB position is the single most important position on a football team. However, it does take a team of 22 or more to win ball games. Actually it also takes depth at all positions to win. We have a few holes to fill before we win 8 or more games a year. At least 2 of those must be QBs.

Reactions: sjt18
Not a fair comparison, second half was with 2nd and third string players all over the field. True comparison is with all 1st string players in the game. We have not seen enough of either of back ups to be able to see how good they are or can be.
It is the most fair comparison we have at this time.

The QB position is the single most important position on a football team. However, it does take a team of 22 or more to win ball games. Actually it also takes depth at all positions to win. We have a few holes to fill before we win 8 or more games a year. At least 2 of those must be QBs.

I thought the right guard was the most important. I mean you stink without Right Guard.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE

The other two look and are far behind. They definitely have not shown anywhere near the ability to read a d or make the correct pass .

They haven't , but neither has JG who has a ton of experience.

Can't believe you are still hanging on your JG agenda. Any one with the slightest football Knowledge knows he is a huge bust and is a big reason why UT is at the bottom now.

You’ll change your mind once he gets settled in and given plays that are tailored to his skill set. Maybe not against Georgia but......
and right now, he's NOT settled. this is what folk are trying to tell you. it's clear. anyone not blinded can see it

It goes without saying that his No. 1 ranking was nonsense. But have a look at the statistics he posted in his high school career. At no point has Guarantano ever been a dominant quarterback. 1,400 yards, 11 touchdowns and 3 interceptions is his best EVER season. That's mediocre in modern football. He was atrocious with as many touchdowns as interceptions during his junior season.

There are poor kids in my local inner-city putting up better numbers right now than Guarantano ever did in his prep football career. Catastrophic recruiting.

Jarrett Guarantano's High School Football Stats

VN Store

Back