Maurer Transferring - Official

Hehehehe..... and you're on VN at 12:45am EST on a Friday.

Good for you! I can only assume your career has been as successful as Heupel, Golesh or Halzle from your statement and in the generosity of your retirement you were coaching/mentoring a small town FL HS QB after retiring from Tallahassee or Gainesville?

I've no ill will for Brian Maurer, but hitting the portal after the deadline is basically taking an "injury + transfer" season off. No practice. No team. No bonding with a new team. It's not optimal.
I recently retired at 43. Idk, not do I care, what their bank accounts say. I just know I made a pretty good living.

Maurer attempts- 81
Bailey- 68

Maurer avg- 6.8
Bailey- 8.5

Maurer completion %- 46%
Bailey- 70%

Maurer passing yards- 550
Bailey- 578

Maurer passing TDs- 2
Bailey- 4

Maurer INTs- 5
Bailey- 2

So by every significant passing stat, Bailey is better. Maurer has thrown for 13 more passes. Figuring his average of 8.5 yards, that would add another 110 yards or so. The Maurer/Bailey discussion is over.

Reactions: lexkyvol
I recently retired at 43. Idk, not do I care, what their bank accounts say. I just know I made a pretty good living.
I retired early, though in my mid 50s..... not 43, from healthcare but I got sucked into an "easy" academic position.

Not recommended. But I'm well done with that also now.

Reactions: 1vol8
Maurer attempts- 81
Bailey- 68

Maurer avg- 6.8
Bailey- 8.5

Maurer completion %- 46%
Bailey- 70%

Maurer passing yards- 550
Bailey- 578

Maurer passing TDs- 2
Bailey- 4

Maurer INTs- 5
Bailey- 2

So by every significant passing stat, Bailey is better. Maurer has thrown for 13 more passes. Figuring his average of 8.5 yards, that would add another 110 yards or so. The Maurer/Bailey discussion is over.
Meh, both played significant garbage as well as some starting time.

Plus, the Pruitt/Cheney offense is like trying to play croquet in a swamp.

Comparisons to Heupel's offense are apples and tomatoes.

Meh, both played significant garbage as well as some starting time.

Plus, the Pruitt/Cheney offense is like trying to play croquet in a swamp.

Comparisons to Heupel's offense are apples and tomatoes.

Oh I agree. But those clamoring that Maurer somehow showed something that Bailey didn’t just doesn’t reflect in the stats. Neither showed anything special.

You do realize he hit the portal right before the season started don’t you? Would that not mean most every team is set with what they’re going with for 2021?
And is the reason Why enter the portal? He should of kept competing and quit looking for excuses our someone to blame but himself. He seems to have been coddled to much growing up because he never accepts blame.

Last edited:
You wanna hang your hat on QBR? Ok then wanna guess what JGs QBR was against Bama last year? According to ESPN it was 83. In 2019 JGs QBR against UGA was 76. So let’s dive a little more into QBR shall we?

These are NFL QBs but the point remains. Looking at these numbers, you should be able to clearly deduce who the better QB is right? The first 3 players I listed are. Rodgers, Lawrence and Roethlisberger. The last 3 I mentioned are Bridgewater, Winston and Stafford. The one on the middle? None other than Tom Brady.

So using your logic, Jamies Winston, Matt Stafford and Teddy Bridgewater are better than Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.
The numbers matched up with how well they played last week. Winston looks really good with the Saints.

Reactions: whodeycin85
And is the reason Why enter the portal? He should of kept competing and quit looking for excuses our someone to blame but himself. He seems to have been coddled to much growing up because he never accepts blame.

then maybe he should go play somewhere in the state of Oregon ;)

That’s up to Heupel. I’m sure he’d have to be willing to mend a relationship but knowing Brian, he’d listen.
Who would have to do the mending? The week that 18 stopped going to practice he had that instagram post that he later edited and you alluded to the idea that something went down and that Brian needed to mature. Can you speak on that at all?

Who would have to do the mending? The week that 18 stopped going to practice he had that instagram post that he later edited and you alluded to the idea that something went down and that Brian needed to mature. Can you speak on that at all?
Both. Brian needs to mature. Like I said before, he needs to learn how to choose his battles. Imo there’s two different types of immaturity. Selfish immaturity (Salter) and competitive immaturity (Brian). I’m not going to speak to details on what actually happened because 1) it’s not right and 2) I respect them both.

You wanna hang your hat on QBR? Ok then wanna guess what JGs QBR was against Bama last year? According to ESPN it was 83. In 2019 JGs QBR against UGA was 76. So let’s dive a little more into QBR shall we?

These are NFL QBs but the point remains. Looking at these numbers, you should be able to clearly deduce who the better QB is right? The first 3 players I listed are. Rodgers, Lawrence and Roethlisberger. The last 3 I mentioned are Bridgewater, Winston and Stafford. The one on the middle? None other than Tom Brady.

So using your logic, Jamies Winston, Matt Stafford and Teddy Bridgewater are better than Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

QBR is a flawed stat, and whodeycin85 using it to make his argument is silly. But your argument is pretty poor too. You can't use QBR on a 1 game sample to come to any conclusion.

The best way to argue against whodeycin85 is to present that Bailey completed 70% of his passes last year and had a 4:2 TD/Int ratio. Maurer in 2019, completed 47% of his passes and had a 2:5 TD/Int ratio. Anyone that believes Maurer had a superior season throwing the football is simply insane. Maurer had 1 good half against UGA, but other than that was pretty bad overall. Bailey wasn't super impressive last year either, but he was considerably better than Maurer was in 2019 overall.

Last edited:
From football? At 43? Burnout?
Qb coaching. Not so much “burnt out” on the coaching as I am the traveling. I’ll still do private lessons and for some reason I still travel like I always have. Basically all I eliminated was the big classes and a set schedule. I just haven’t adjusted well I guess. Lol.

And fwiw, the reason I’m bringing up Maurer vs UGA and Bailey vs UF is simply because you have a great point I’ve been arguing for two years. Without perpetration NO qb is any good. Maurer had two weeks of prep for Georgia in his first start and Bailey had two weeks of prep for UF in his first start. Not enough for either. Especially given who they were facing. It lends one to believe they were each facing their respective teams on mostly natural talent. If that sounds fair then I see a night and day difference.
What? Our QBs have to commit crimes to be good? Does it have to be something they’ll do serious time for or will simple misdemeanors work?

I’m just giving you a hard time. I knew what you meant.

C'mon, man. Auburn has nothing behind Nix, essentially.

Mississippi State? Hehehe......

If SC, Auburn, or Mississippi State could SNIFF a QB who could "compete with the Big 3 in the SEC" at this point, they'd be crazy not to try it.

Face the reality. Maurer hits the portal. You say he's SEC ready..... not just ready but ready to help a team challenge Bama, GA, and FL...... and no splash, no "where will he land" talk, nothing.

At some point you have to admit there's a lot of eyes on the portal, especially looking at skilled positions, and there's zero "buzz" about Maurer.

Seriously, SC is apparently ignoring a guy with SEC experience when they truly have nothing...... Not. A. Thing...... going for them. It's an easy pickup for them on the "portal off-season" especially if he's a baller like you say. Lemme guess, "he doesn't want them....."
Auburn has nothing with Nix. Yeah he looked fine against Patsy U. Watch this weekend. Auburn’s O will score about 10-20 points. If Penn St crosses 20 and doesn’t give up D/ST scores they will win.

QBR is a flawed stat, and whodeycin85 using it to make his argument is silly. But your argument is pretty poor too. You can't use QBR on a 1 game sample to come to any conclusion.

The best way to argue against whodeycin85 is to present that Bailey completed 70% of his passes last year and had a 4:2 TD/Int ratio. Maurer in 2019, completed 47% of his passes and had a 2:5 TD/Int ratio. Anyone that believes Maurer had a superior season throwing the football is simply insane. Maurer had 1 good half against UGA, but other than that was pretty bad overall. Bailey wasn't super impressive last year either, but he was considerably better than Maurer was in 2019 overall.
Never once did i say he had a superior season passing...Ive said he has has had a bigger impact on the game...and again ill take 50% comps and mitakes against a against UGA and Bama then I will take 70% comp vs Vandy.....and higher % in garbage time...seems some have settled in to higher comp % lower scores...too many here are stuck in the 90s model of football....

Instead of picking a single game , look at last season or previous season and you will see they match up pretty well with where a QB sits...

Never once did i say he had a superior season passing...Ive said he has has had a bigger impact on the game...and again ill take 50% comps and mitakes against a against UGA and Bama then I will take 70% comp vs Vandy.....and higher % in garbage time...seems some have settled in to higher comp % lower scores...too many here are stuck in the 90s model of football....

QBR is the only stat that take into account strength of the opponet...why is 70% vs a 100th ranked team more impressive then 50% vs a top 5 team?

Maurer no longer plays for UT. Bailey is currently 3rd on the depth chart. What does any of this matter at this point? There's a reasonably good chance that neither will be on the roster this time next year.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
You do realize he hit the portal right before the season started don’t you? Would that not mean most every team is set with what they’re going with for 2021?

Exactly! Which is why leaving when he did makes zero sense. Guess no football is better than some football? Um, ok.

You act as if you know it was his choice to leave.

Fair point. I have no inside knowledge and don't claim to. If it had to do with attitude or stupid tweets and being asked to leave though, then he did sort of make that choice by not giving the others a choice. I have no idea. Appreciate the effort he gave on the field and wish him well wherever he ends up.

Fair point. I have no inside knowledge and don't claim to. If it had to do with attitude or stupid tweets and being asked to leave though, then he did sort of make that choice by not giving the others a choice. I have no idea. Appreciate the effort he gave on the field and wish him well wherever he ends up.
I’m not going to go into detail but I will say this. I DO understand where he was coming from. However, he needs to learn to STFU and live to fight another day. He’s no different than any other player. He wants a legit opportunity to compete.

Omg you’re impossible. IF THE OFFENSE DONT MOVE IT DONT SCORE!!!!!!! Bailey didn’t move the offense. JG didn’t move the offense. Milton is not moving the offense. Bowling green kicks our ass if they only stopped the run

Milton moved the offense in the BG game. It wasn't through the air and we took what BG offered but he got his team lined up quickly and play off just as quick.
Don't care what BG didn't do, we did what we needed according to the defense they presented and won the game.
I think Maurer could've done well in this system but it appears his head isn't where it needs to be. Should've stuck it out and transferred next year, could've at least stayed in shape and getting practice with the team.

VN Store

Back