Maurer takes over at some point this season

Agree... the Oline sucked, JG knew it, we all knew it. So its on JG when he stood in the pocket waiting to be trucked. Not too difficult of a concept to grasp. Things will get better for him this year... but to have a very good year, he needs to use his head for something other than a battering ram.
Nope. Not what I said. I said the problems were on both sides. A QB who is slow to make decisions and doesn't make good pre-snap reads of blitzes and coverages can make an OL look worse than they are. JG did just that... and it wasn't because they "sucked" first. It was a weakness that belongs to HIM. Even "good" OL's will make mistakes. There will be times when they simply cannot block everyone the D sends requiring the QB to see it and make the D pay.

Quarterbacks and offensive coordinators generally tend to be the repositories of blame for the dashed hopes of football fans, when blaming the head coach is not yet a realistic option.
LOL... this particular QB has a cult following that won't allow him to be blamed for ANYTHING.

Actually, OC's and often OL's get blamed. OL's seldom get credit. QB's sometimes get blamed... and usually get a ton of credit.

Bray also had game breakers at the WR position and a great TE.
So now the receivers suck too? Blame everyone but JG...

When JG is properly leading open receivers down field and over throwing them because they aren't talented enough... then maybe I'll lay more blame on the receivers. He almost always throws late which causes him to be short on most deep throws.

why is this an option...

Edit: Apologies.
You're asking what if. I'm stating what is ACTUALLY going to happen.
I'll humor you anyway.
I would be shocked if Maurer comes in and poops it up. Or if he doesn't play at all.
Mauer4Heisman in the making.......

When JG is properly leading open receivers down field and over throwing them because they aren't talented enough... then maybe I'll lay more blame on the receivers. He almost always throws late which causes him to be short on most deep throws.

You get a lot of flack on here, but I agree with all your comments. Jg has the tools to be great, but his decision making is what keeps him from being good. Yeah our oline sucks, anyone can see that but a good quarterback knows how to read plays and make adjustments to compensate. Take Dobbs for example, we had a terrible online with him as well, but we won a lot of games cause of him.

Dude our WRs have been subpar for years. So have our TEs. Sorry that facts bother you. Of course JG has his blame. But does he have a Mecole Hardman or Jerry Jeudy to throw to? No. How about an Irv Smith or Issac Nauta? Again, nope. We haven’t had WRs that can create great separation since probably Hunter.

Everybody fauns over Tua, but have you watched Bama? There were many games where he had 4+ seconds to find the oper receiver. Of course he has game breakers everywhere who can create separation on any defense.

Dude our WRs have been subpar for years. So have our TEs. Sorry that facts bother you. Of course JG has his blame. But does he have a Mecole Hardman or Jerry Jeudy to throw to? No. How about an Irv Smith or Issac Nauta? Again, nope. We haven’t had WRs that can create great separation since probably Hunter.

Everybody fauns over Tua, but have you watched Bama? There were many games where he had 4+ seconds to find the oper receiver. Of course he has game breakers everywhere who can create separation on any defense.
He is trolling. No point in arguing with him.

He knows JG didn't make the pre snap reads but he is still complaining about him doing it poorly.

He also knows the wrs have trouble getting open too.

He isn't honestly trying to debate. Just pushing an agenda he knows is false. Don't waste your time.

Nope. Not what I said. I said the problems were on both sides. A QB who is slow to make decisions and doesn't make good pre-snap reads of blitzes and coverages can make an OL look worse than they are. JG did just that... and it wasn't because they "sucked" first. It was a weakness that belongs to HIM. Even "good" OL's will make mistakes. There will be times when they simply cannot block everyone the D sends requiring the QB to see it and make the D pay.
Not sure we disagree big Dan...

He knows JG didn't make the pre snap reads but he is still complaining about him doing it poorly.

He isn't honestly trying to debate. Just pushing an agenda he knows is false. Don't waste your time.
Why not? Did Helton tell him to just sit there and get killed?

When he starts leading guys into catches deep when they have separation then you'll have an argument. Frankly, the receivers don't have a Ta'amu, Tagovailoa, Lock, or Fromm throwing them the ball either.

What exactly do you blame JG for? You say that in the abstract but what concrete weakness will you agree to?

I included Tua above because his ball placement is very good. He also reacts to pressure well usually when he gets it. He DOES get the ball out quickly at times and can lead receivers into a catch. I don't know what he'd do behind UT's OL.

I want JG to take that toughness and outstanding arm then add good reads and decision making. I believe he would be one of the best QB's in the SEC... even if the OL's improvements are nominal. But he has to start getting the ball off on time. He has to give WR's opportunities to catch the ball at the right time with room to operate. He has to help the OL by managing the pocket well and making good decisions on when to break the pocket and run.

I'll repeat. Maurer did a couple of things that looked really good. He ran at the right time for good yardage. He also worked the pocket in such a way as to set up OL's for success. Just one step up in the pocket can give an OL the advantage while taking the DL's angle away. I would absolutely LOVE to say that JG has mastered the "intangible" parts of the position come December.

LOL... just can't help yourself....

Are you really that ignorant?

Let me explain in simpler terms. A pre-snap read is when a QB looks over the D, sees alignment, sees late pre-snap movement... and uses that information in varying ways. You are equating it to making audibles which may or may not be the case based on the QB and the system. UT had a system I believe under Chaney a few years back when the O went to the line with 2-4 possible plays. The QB's job was to read the alignment, choose a play, call the audible and go. JG was very limited in this type of thing. The most that was obvious is when he used hand signals to indicate the direction of run plays.

The pre-snap read though is primarily about seeing alignment and late movement so the QB can react to what the D is giving him. It gives him an indication of where pressure will come from and where gaps in the D will be. This is also what the QB uses to make line calls/audibles. It appears UT still prefers the QB to do this. A few teams may still use a C or OG to make line calls but most have gone to the QB.

JG didn't do this well. He just didn't. That's why they limited him and gave him safe plays to run.

Chaney and JG have BOTH publicly stated that Chaney expects him to assume these responsibilities this year.... to do these things well plus make changes at the LOS. Why would either say that if he'd already been doing it? Simple answer... he wasn't doing it.

The "check with me" stuff is different though it does take calls at the line away from the QB. Lots of teams do it in varying degrees. It lets the OC in the box call plays based on what he sees. Often it isn't an audible but rather the first call. The O is given a formation and maybe even early motion. After they line up, the OC sees how the D responds then sends down the play. This is a variation on playcalling more than QB reads.

Hopefully you understand the differences now.

Last edited:
You get a lot of flack on here, but I agree with all your comments. Jg has the tools to be great, but his decision making is what keeps him from being good. Yeah our oline sucks, anyone can see that but a good quarterback knows how to read plays and make adjustments to compensate. Take Dobbs for example, we had a terrible online with him as well, but we won a lot of games cause of him.
Dobbs had very special talents running the ball. People will point to that as a way of excusing JG and shifting blame back to the OL. But JG has a better, more accurate arm than Dobbs could ever hope for. He has a beautiful release that's pretty quick once he decides to throw. Like you said... it is the decision making and reads that hold him back.

What Dobbs did with his legs... JG can double with his arm if he ever "gets it".

Dobbs had very special talents running the ball. People will point to that as a way of excusing JG and shifting blame back to the OL. But JG has a better, more accurate arm than Dobbs could ever hope for. He has a beautiful release that's pretty quick once he decides to throw. Like you said... it is the decision making and reads that hold him back.

What Dobbs did with his legs... JG can double with his arm if he ever "gets it".
troof

VN Store

Back