Maurer takes over at some point this season

I would like to be able to say YES he would but I think he's not ready and will most likely redshirt this year and get better for next season where he probably will take over at some point in the season...JG is our best option right now and that's not really saying much but the other kids are just not ready for SEC football...JG really isn't either but he's the best we got at the moment so we have no choice but to ride it out.

Reactions: jacvols
This is the 4th year JG has been a QB at UT. He is marginally better than 2 years ago or even last year. Thinking that will change before the season, even if the OL is much better, is a notion based on hope and not rational thought and the evidence. I'm hoping he succeeds bigly, but many QBs with fewer stars and no better OL have performed better. Doubtful it will be Maurer for the reasons noted, but given JG"s history I will upvote Maurer's chances more than JG"s.

Reactions: rkvdg
I would like to be able to say YES he would but I think he's not ready and will most likely redshirt this year and get better for next season where he probably will take over at some point in the season...JG is our best option right now and that's not really saying much but the other kids are just not ready for SEC football...JG really isn't either but he's the best we got at the moment so we have no choice but to ride it out.

What I want to know is why everyone on here thinks neither of our backups are ready? How many times over the past few years have we seen a freshman QB take over after the veteran is injured and they've gone on to take the starting job and the veteran QB transfers? It's not guaranteed to happen, but I have to wonder why can our team not get a young QB ready to take the reigns over in the event of an injury.

This is the 4th year JG has been a QB at UT. He is marginally better than 2 years ago or even last year. Thinking that will change before the season, even if the OL is much better, is a notion based on hope and not rational thought and the evidence. I'm hoping he succeeds bigly, but many QBs with fewer stars and no better OL have performed better. Doubtful it will be Maurer for the reasons noted, but given JG"s history I will upvote Maurer's chances more than JG"s.
How many OL coaches has JG had in his tenure? Does this factor in at all? I think it has to doesn't it?

What I want to know is why everyone on here thinks neither of our backups are ready? How many times over the past few years have we seen a freshman QB take over after the veteran is injured and they've gone on to take the starting job and the veteran QB transfers? It's not guaranteed to happen, but I have to wonder why can our team not get a young QB ready to take the reigns over in the event of an injury.
You know?....You never know...Maurer or JT might be one of those qb's that shines once he is in a game situation...Remember Peyton didn't exactly set the world on fire his freshman year and he made a lot of mistakes...Only way we find out is by putting them out there and seeing what they can do in a REAL game situation.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
This is not about the qbs ability as much as its about not putting them behind our train wreck of a O-line. JG will do as the sacrificial lamb.

I don't see it. Too inexperienced. JG is gonna ball out this year. People have blind hatred for the kid for some reason.

Reactions: k-town_king
When they ordain me head coach I will tell you who is going to be the starting QB and when. Until then I will leave it to the staff the university has entrusted to bring us back to glory.

Maurer starts at some point this season and keeps the starting the job. Yes, he made some bad mistakes today but he just has the IT factor.

He is way better than J.G. but needs some time to adjust.

Agree....go on record now.

Disagree....go on record now.

We will then find out who is right at the end of the season.
Haha, this is pretty funny.

Not good. I think youre confused. JG is a great practice player. Thats it. Im not saying the other qbs are going to take over and kill it. They both have way more upside than JG though.
More upside based on? Both have been much worse through the spring than Jg.

How many OL coaches has JG had in his tenure? Does this factor in at all? I think it has to doesn't it?
Possibly, but a lot of QBs play at a higher level with similar if not worse conditions. It wouldnt take much of a search to list them. Why do we continue to make excuses for him? That's a much bigger issue.

Reactions: sjt18
Yep... and that's why they're ignorant.
Maybe you should try to listen to me sometime. So far you have been wrong about every qb for the last 8 years or so. Seems like you would get tired of taking Ls and listen to someone who obviously is much more knowledgeable.

Lol. You see a young, talented kid, who I believe has a bright future at Tennessee by the way, look good in a meaningless intrasquad scrimmage.....where he was the only QB of 3 to turn the ball over by the way, with not 1, but 2 interceptions....and you think he’s gonna be the starter by game 6? Jeez.

Going on record right now....only if JG is injured. And even then, he may not be JG’s backup as he’s currently in a battle with Shrout to be the #2 QB. So, put me in the disagree column. And if he proves to be good enough to beat out JG (and JT), I’ll gladly eat crow.

No real crow to be had either way.
We are guessing.
I just have never been impressed with J.G.

VN Store

Back