Maurer takes over at some point this season

You think JG is gonna throw 4 tds in an actual game against actual opponent's? Bless your heart.

No. But he’s the best QB on the roster. Go ahead and put all your faith in a freshman who couldn’t make it through a glorified scrimmage without throwing 2 pics. Good luck with that

Reactions: butchna
I don't see it happening based on last year. Even at times when the team needed a spark, JG was left in the game. I don't know if Pruitt decided to keep JG in the whole time or the OC last year. However, we have a different QB coach and OC. Our heisman winning former QB coach even stated Maurer has the "it" factor, but he does need work as we saw in the spring game. He is a freshman after all.

Maurer will need some time to develop and it would be best to get him some good snaps in the first 3 games before we hit the SEC slate. It would be stupid to have not 1 backup without meaningful snaps (actual passing and not handing off) and wait until a SEC opponent for it to happen if JG gets injured. Pruitt seems to go with whoever is safer and less likely to turn over the ball, which will probably be JG, but that's probably why there were only 12 TDs as well along with the play calling.

JG may improve and light it up, but if it's not looking good by the 2nd game offensively, they may want to give the backups a chance to spark something.

Pruitt didn’t mince words about JG during the O&W game:

“Well I felt early on he held the ball too long you know? Now we’ve got to play a little faster at WR and we’ve got to get a little bit better protection but he’s got to operate faster. He threw some balls outside the field of play and it’s 100% you’re not gonna catch those. As far as this game goes as it’s progressed he’s played better.”

Draw your own conclusions. But doesn’t sound like a do or die endorsement to me. Besides this is CJC’s offense and ultimately his call. JG will 100% start. Can he develop into an up-tempo QB and keep the job that’s the question.

Whoever steps up for JG after he goes out from getting made a sack lunch all season will keep the job especially if they throw touchdowns. JG 's best game was and will be the O@W game.
You make a lot of points here kind of like his performance against Auburn.

Reactions: cgrish
Strong disagree. If JG can stay healthy (admittedly not assured given the O line play), he’ll have a solid season. Something like 20 TDs and 5 INTs, 2500 yards, 60% completion percentage

I sure hope you are right. I trust the coaches to play who they think will give us the best chance to win, after all their jobs depend on wins. If jg has the stats you mentioned, we will win at least 8 games. If same as last yr 6 wins will be our max. I believe jg will be the starter, because pruitt does not like turnovers.

Pray was like 3-21 in his last O&W game and the season turned out great for him. Can't base anything off of a scrimmage.

I don't see it happening based on last year. Even at times when the team needed a spark, JG was left in the game. I don't know if Pruitt decided to keep JG in the whole time or the OC last year. However, we have a different QB coach and OC. Our heisman winning former QB coach even stated Maurer has the "it" factor, but he does need work as we saw in the spring game. He is a freshman after all.

Maurer will need some time to develop and it would be best to get him some good snaps in the first 3 games before we hit the SEC slate. It would be stupid to have not 1 backup without meaningful snaps (actual passing and not handing off) and wait until a SEC opponent for it to happen if JG gets injured. Pruitt seems to go with whoever is safer and less likely to turn over the ball, which will probably be JG, but that's probably why there were only 12 TDs as well along with the play calling.

JG may improve and light it up, but if it's not looking good by the 2nd game offensively, they may want to give the backups a chance to spark something.

If we cant play our backup qb in first 3 games our offense is in trouble

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Hoping, but never happens.

Strong disagree. If JG can stay healthy (admittedly not assured given the O line play), he’ll have a solid season. Something like 20 TDs and 5 INTs, 2500 yards, 60% completion percentage

If he only throws 20 TDs then we are going to need a much better rushing attack and solid defense in order to have a decent year.

Imo he gets that from saban, which works if you have an outstanding defense, and great ol and rb. That's why saban went so long with hurts over tua as qb. Hurts was safer, although it was clear to everyone tua was the better qb. Just my opinion. We gona have to score a lot of points to be successful in sec

VN Store

Back