Matthew Perry Dead at 54

Couple of tidbits about Matthew Perry ...

His dad, John Bennett Perry, was also an actor and played Matthew's father in "Fools Rush In" from 1997.

His stepdad is Keith Morrison from Dateline NBC. He's the gray-haired guy known for narrating true crime mysteries.

Dated Julia Roberts in the 90's. She was in the Super Bowl episode of Friends in 1996.

RIP.

I was a big fan. I always thought his comedic timing was great. Whether you like or dislike Friends, his character will always be remembered. I really enjoyed The Whole Nine Yards as well.
Still watch episodes of Friends late at night. He had the humor that I related to the most… dry, witty, sarcastic. Fame can mess people up. From hearing his last few interviews, it sounded like he realized that too late. Hate it. He and Whitney Houston died similarly and probably had similar demons. Pray he’s at peace now.

Does that not seem suspicious?
If someone would’ve presented the hypothetical that Matthew Perry would’ve been found dead in a hot tub by himself, unfortunately I would’ve thought that that was a completely believable scenario. It’s pretty well known that he’s had his issues with addiction for a long time. I think regardless of whether the toxicology comes back w/ results that show he died from a cardiac episode, he lived pretty hard for a long time.

1698617492716.png
Guy certainly doesn't look healthy in this photo.
According to reports:
Perry, who was public about his struggles with alcohol and drug addiction, was reportedly found at his own home in a hot tub after law enforcement responded to a call for cardiac arrest around 4 pm local time.

I think he most likely had a heart attack. Hot tubs are dangerous for people with heart issues. And I know he had a lot of addiction related issues. He probably should have stayed away from the hot tub. Sad and unfortunate.
You’re probably right, although people that talked to him in the past 2 weeks were worried he was back on drugs.

No, he sure doesn't. He looks like someone who fought hard against an addiction for many years, but who has now thrown in the towel, and is willing to let whatever happens .... happen. Very sad.
I watched an interview where he looked to be in his 50s commenting on how thin he was during a bout of substance abuse during Friends. Said he got down to 128. Very emotional saying it was hard to look at himself back then and that he felt sorry for his old self back then. Sounded like he'd turned the corner but his speech wasn't sharp and bordered on slurred at that interview. You're never cured of addiction. You battle it minute by minute and day by day. Sad.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Wasn't much of a fan of Friends, but Almost Heroes was in the VHS rotation and I loved seeing Whole Nine Yards on TBS at least once a month, where I could check in for a few scenes.

I was a fan of Friends and I liked Numb and a few others, but I never heard of Almost Heros until this thread. I tried to watch it last night. Was terrible. Turned it off at 28 minutes.

I was a fan of Friends and I liked Numb and a few others, but I never heard of Almost Heros until this thread. I tried to watch it last night. Was terrible. Turned it off at 28 minutes.
You’ve got to see the whole thing. There are some great Chris Farley moments.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I doubt anyone remembers the HBO comedy series "Dream On" from the early 90's .... but Matthew Perry was in a good episode playing a slimy bad guy, who was trying to take Martin's job. That's the only time I ever saw him in a role which wasn't a likable character, and he was funny. Showed some range.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
His Instagram account seem to be active and sending cryptic messages the last two weeks. Cries for help or message of his fate. He battled his demons over the years and probably broke his body, mind and success made him a lonely man. No matter how much money he spent on rehab the damage was done. I wouldn’t be surprised if it came back as a suicide as he looked broken.

My wife’s favorite movie was “Fools Rush In” mine will always be Chandler Bing! So relatable and genuine character.

I doubt anyone remembers the HBO comedy series "Dream On" from the early 90's .... but Matthew Perry was in a good episode playing a slimy bad guy, who was trying to take Martin's job. That's the only time I ever saw him in a role which wasn't a likable character, and he was funny. Showed some range.
I was about 10 when that show was on and I used to always try to sneak and watch bc it had boobs in it.

This surprises no one

VN Store

Back