Matthew Butler said 'everybody' in the 2017 class has considered leaving

Fingers

“About the guys who have left, I mean, let’s just be real here: I don’t even think it would be an exaggeration to say that everybody — I can only speak for my class, the 2017 class, the last class under (former coach) Butch (Jones) — has considered leaving, obviously,” Butler said Friday in his first media availability since new Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s hiring in late January.

“I mean, we don’t have the situation that we want. But, for the guys who have left, they have to do what’s best for them. And, for the guys who’s here, we are doing what’s best for us and we’re trying to, like I said, build the brand of this university, make this football team elite and do the best thing for ourselves and our personal lives.

Before people start griping about Butler, he was probably responding to a question from a reporter baiting him to criticize his former teammates for leaving. This has been a routine question to every player the media gets to question.

I appreciate him giving an honest answer - that particular class has been through a lot of crap and some discouragement is understandable. I also appreciate his willingness to help get things restarted and in his words "build the brand of this university, make this football team elite". Hopefully, he has a great year!

What does "considered" even mean? Did they think for even a moment about what challenges the transition to a new coaching staff might bring and whether or not they might be better off somewhere else? I'd be surprised if there was one of them who didn't at least think of that. Doesn't mean they ever wanted to leave. Or that they ever got any further than a passing thought. Not only is this not a big deal, it kind of just stands to reason, IMO. They're not robots.

Hell I get it I'm a huge vol fan and If I was on the team with everything that has went down the last few years I would consider leaving too. I don't blame the guys for thinking about it at all wr just need some stability and give these guys some also.

Last edited:
It has to be tough on those guys. I admire the ones who stayed

3 ADs, 3 HCs, 2-5 Position Coaches, 3 offensive/defensive schemes to learn, 4 S&C Coaches and impending ncaa sanctions.

As an added bonus they get ever demanding and often unrealistic fans.

The things people will do to get out of Student Loan Debt! lol

Before people start griping about Butler, he was probably responding to a question from a reporter baiting him to criticize his former teammates for leaving. This has been a routine question to every player the media gets to question.

I appreciate him giving an honest answer - that particular class has been through a lot of crap and some discouragement is understandable. I also appreciate his willingness to help get things restarted and in his words "build the brand of this university, make this football team elite". Hopefully, he has a great year!

This dude has always been a class act when it comes to press conferences. He could be a better public affairs rep than many universities!

I can imagine it’s been very disappointing to be sold on dreams of championships, getting to the League and a lot of things that have fallen flat. I’m sure a lot of these kids were the best player or among the best players to go through their high school or town and then having to endure not meeting the expectations has to be very humbling .

VN Store

Back