Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
You might want to give @Freak your emergency contact info so he can do a wellness check on you when Campbell leaves for a school that doesn't have a recruiting class ceiling at ~45th in the nation.
hell pretty impressive to have a top 10 team off of that almost like recruiting ranking don't really mean to much.. and again why would Campbell leave??

hell pretty impressive to have a top 10 team off of that almost like recruiting ranking don't really mean to much.. and again why would Campbell leave??

You don't get it. None of us here tried to hire him. Whatever it is with your adolescent-level worship of Coach Campbell, you can have him. Maybe you should send emails to the members of the UT Admin, boosters, whatever, who tried to get him to come to UT.

Would we have welcomed him? Sure. Same as we did Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt. All we want is a winner. Campbell is a winner. But an overall .556 record, and .632 in his last 3 years is not the kinda stuff that makes Vol fans jump off a bridge because he said "no".

It's tough being a Vol fan right now. But it's just as tough to read posts like yours, and realize that while we are used to being prominent on a national level on an annual basis, your brief moment at a higher-than-assigned altitude has left you with the sporting equivalent of hypoxia. Nothing personal, just facts.

Like I said, enjoy the ride. If you're a true ISU fan, then those memories will serve you well down the line. Same as some of us still wander back to the glorious "Days of '98", and that BCS National Championship.

I can send you a pic if you want to see what it looks like.....:cool:

Go Vols.

Reactions: CR-vol and C/O

Yeah, impressive in a covid season when he couldn't win the conference with a roster of upper-classmen.

Campbell can only go so far with the talent that is willing to go to ISU, he knows that , as well as the fact that Sarkisian at Texas isn't going to make it easier.

Campbell may be the hot name right now, and ISU the hot program, but let's keep things in perspective here. Personally, I'm glad he turned us down (twice), and I'm glad he's still at ISU. Why, you may ask?.....

- ISU has been playing organized football since 1892. Their trophy case is a phone booth, including the 1911 and 1912 MVIAA conference championships, and a split Big-12 North title with Colorado in 2004 (they lost on the tiebreaker).
- They have a 5-11 bowl record. Johnny Majors (yes, that Johnny Majors) took them to their first bowl game in 1971.
- Matt Campbell has a .556 winning percentage at ISU, with a 35-28 record. Hardly the stuff of legends. 35-28 is Butch Jones territory.
- But over the last 3 seasons, Campbell is 24-14, for a .632 winning percentage. So he's trending up.
- Beating a 4-2 Oregon team in a bowl game doesn't convince me that you're ready for the likes of Bama, UF, and UGA
on an annual basis. Congrats on the Top 10 ranking after the 2020 season. Right up there with BYU's '84 Natty.

So if UT backed up the Brinks truck to his door...allegedly twice...then whomever was driving that truck needs to be tossed off the Henley Street bridge, wearing a concrete flotation vest. I just don't see the King's new suit here. Good coach? Yes, just based on the havoc he has caused in the Big 12. Then again, it's the Big 12. But the right guy to take over at UT? Meh...better than some...safe hire...probably runs a clean program...wins 7, 8, maybe 9 games in a good year in the SEC. JMO, but he hasn't exactly blown it up at ISU, and it's a much tougher row to hoe in the SEC.

Coach Heupel may or may not return UT to its' glory days, but I think an unbiased comparison of what he has done to this point, compared to what Coach Campbell has done, makes it clear that UT made the right choice. Even if Coach Campbell helped them make it.

Time will tell if CJH is the right guy, but anyone, from anywhere, who thinks I have lost one wink of sleep over the fact that we got CJH and not CMC is completely delusional. But if coming here and crowing over the fact that your coach turned us down makes you feel better, have at it. When you get time, swing by the Ragin' Cajuns fan blog and show 'em a pic of your Fiesta Bowl trophy.

Go Vols.
He didn’t turn us down twice. We didn’t even sniff around last search because he had just signed an extension with a hefty buyout. I do believe this admin wasn’t scared off and offered but there’s nothing official confirming that belief. There’s no staying power with Cy. We took a shot at landing his coach and failed...like Texas. None of us are going to cease being Vol fans because of that video he posted...so now what? 🤔

Yeah, impressive in a covid season when he couldn't win the conference with a roster of upper-classmen.

Campbell can only go so far with the talent that is willing to go to ISU, he knows that , as well as the fact that Sarkisian at Texas isn't going to make it easier.
sorry where is the *covid season* on the NC trophy of Bama? it's funny that you don't see the teams that had success saying oh it's a *covid* season. and the team was so upper class that we return 20 of 22 starters. I will admit our OL will be senior laden this season. but on the defensive side was a lot of young players in and out all season long.
and again if a recruiting *"ranking" in the 40's means top 25 and even top 10 results ok then.. and we are in the running right now for more then a few 4 stars in '22 class.. recruits are starting to take notice.

VN Store

Back