Masters of the Air (Apple TV+) (January 26, 2024)

CagleMtnVol

HBO developing a third WWII miniseries with Tom Hanks & Steven Spielberg

Link:
HBO developing a third WWII miniseries with Tom Hanks & Steven Spielberg

HBO confirmed Friday (1/18/2013) that it is developing a third World War II miniseries from Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg.

Joining an oeuvre that already includes 2001's Band of Brothers and 2010's The Pacific, the untitled miniseries will explore the aerial wars through the eyes of enlisted men of the Eighth Air Force -- known as the men of the Mighty Eighth. The project will use as its source material historian Donald L. Millers nonfiction tome Masters of the Air: Americas Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany.

Spielberg, Hanks and Gary Goetzman again will serve as executive producers via Hanks and Goetzmans Playtone and Spielbergs Amblin Television. HBO executives have been in discussions about a third World War II miniseries for several months. Justified creator Graham Yost, who wrote several episodes of Band of Brothers and The Pacific, recently told The Hollywood Reporter that he was eager to reteam with Hanks and Spielberg on another WWII epic. And now that the source material has been optioned, the project can move into development. Additional source material might be added later.
🪨 :salute:

Last edited:
Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
Alright! My daddy flew top turret for 35 missions in '43 and '44. I hope it's all about the 603 squadron of the 398th BG.

Awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with that group of producers and directors. The Memphis Belle initially got me interested in the bombing campaign of Germany when I was a kid. Already looking forward to this series.

Still haven't seen The Pacific. I'm rewatching BoB right now. I may call Comcast and get a free 3 months of HBO when this comes out.

Alright! My daddy flew top turret for 35 missions in '43 and '44. I hope it's all about the 603 squadron of the 398th BG.

granddad was in the 350th BG. This won't be about his group but there's no way I will miss it

Read the Pacific years ago. Great book...been trying to read 'Masters of the Air' for about as long as this series was slated to be produced. Made it to page 100 the other day.

Believe they cut ties with HBO. It's an Apple project now.

Read the Pacific years ago. Great book...been trying to read 'Masters of the Air' for about as long as this series was slated to be produced. Made it to page 100 the other day.

Believe they cut ties with HBO. It's an Apple project now.
Guess I’ll be getting Apple TV now. Should be really good, I think it could also be very dark too.

Build 2. Film them 100 ways. Cop/paste in post.
Did you mean build real ones? (Assuming you did) if the book is any indicator, there may not be any left unless you lift them off bottom of the English Channel. Of course i'm being dramatic but, they got hammered by Luftwafe. I recall something about vintage planes being used in BoB, as 101st left for Normandy from Upottery. Safe to say, they'll use real deal when they can. Hope they do.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back