Marvin West..... Lifetime Achievement Award

He is one of the most excellent writers in America. When I was a young teenager, I delivered the News Sentinel in Oneida, TN. Read his articles whenever they appeared. Later in life in my 50s, I was working in Africa for an extended period of time. One day in November of 2012, if I recall correctly, I received a PM on the old Gridscape site asking that I call him when I was back in the US for thanksgiving. Thrilled? You bet, but what would this fairly famed writer want with me? Well, he wanted to do an article on long distance Vol fans who had to go to extreme measures to see/listen to the games. It was published in the Shopper in December of that year, outlining my efforts during the Gulf War, travels overseas working as an ExPat and the joys that it brought. He took the time to mention my wife and kids.

A Peach of a human being. Well deserved, Marvin!

He is one of the most excellent writers in America. When I was a young teenager, I delivered the News Sentinel in Oneida, TN. Read his articles whenever they appeared. Later in life in my 50s, I was working in Africa for an extended period of time. One day in November of 2012, if I recall correctly, I received a PM on the old Gridscape site asking that I call him when I was back in the US for thanksgiving. Thrilled? You bet, but what would this fairly famed writer want with me? Well, he wanted to do an article on long distance Vol fans who had to go to extreme measures to see/listen to the games. It was published in the Shopper in December of that year, outlining my efforts during the Gulf War, travels overseas working as an ExPat and the joys that it brought. He took the time to mention my wife and kids.

A Peach of a human being. Well deserved, Marvin!
I am from Oneida as well and currently still reside in the small Tennessee town of Oneida and I remember the article about your struggles to track the Vols. That was a very nice article and appreciate what you had to go through just to follow our beloved Vols.

Tom Mattingly did a superb job on this tribute! I remember Tom writing a weekly for the UTAD called "Smokey's Tale" back in the 80's early 90's. It was an overview of the previous Vols' Football Game. Coach "Majors' Memo" was a feature. I still have a few copies! Great Stuff, Tom. You learned from the Best!

Reactions: Tnphil
I think back to high school football days and remember the two guys who did the reporting for the newspaper and called the game play by play on local radio on Friday nights. You guessed it! It really was Marvin West and John Ward!

As mentioned by Mr. Tom Mattingly in the article, Mr. West's collection of stories in Tennessee of the Tennessee Vols should be required reading for any Big Orange fan. If you get a chance, pick up a copy; you won't be disappointed.

Marvin West and Tom Siler real, live sports journalists. Covering Ut at same time and the best in the business. Really miss the skill they brought to their craft .

VN Store

Back